A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2005 A6 3.2 Intake Flap Actuator Arm disconnecting. need help gurus!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 12:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 A6 3.2 Intake Flap Actuator Arm disconnecting. need help gurus!

I have a 05' A6 that I've done quite a bit of repairs on, and the one thing that I haven't been able to fix is the intake flap actuator, which has a small plastic arm that goes into a socket that makes the variable intake function... it keeps popping out! I know others have had this problem.

I've tried drilling a hole in the ball and connecting a wire through the socket to hold it together, which doesn't work at all. I'm looking for another solution that doesn't require a complete intake manifold replacement. I've taken it all apart countless times and I'm baffled and really need help! I believe my city gas mileage has taken an awful hit since I've had this issue, not to mention the MIL. If you're curious, the code is p2006 if i'm not mistaken.

There is a solution for other audi models, as shown here:
VWVortex.com - :: GruvenParts.com Releases Billet Intake Linkage Arms for Golf/GTI VI w/2.0T !!

but there exists nothing like this for the 3.2. One user in a similar symptom situation has zip ties around his arm and socket, but he seems to have disappeared from the forum as he's not responding to my PM's or seems active. Please help! I would be eternally grateful as this is my mother's car and it is getting a whopping 10mpg at the moment because of the issue.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here is a picture of the 'zip tie' thing on the socket side of the actuation by another user

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...4022marked.jpg
Old 11-29-2014, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had good results using a thin diameter cotter pin inserted from the back with the bent over part on the outside. (assumes that you through drilled the ball and the socket) It is stiff enough to withstand the torque unlike a wire. I can take a picture if you need it. PM me if you need a pic.

Carl
The following users liked this post:
Michael-J7 (12-03-2020)
Old 11-29-2014, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by cnyman
I have had good results using a thin diameter cotter pin inserted from the back with the bent over part on the outside. (assumes that you through drilled the ball and the socket) It is stiff enough to withstand the torque unlike a wire. I can take a picture if you need it. PM me if you need a pic.

Carl
hey Carl,

sent you a pm! very curious to see how this works... thanks again!
Old 12-06-2014, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are the pics of what I did to the passenger side bank about a year ago, I think. I had the same code and found that the arm had come off the ball an the plastic was just too mangled to keep it from staying on. I drilled a very small hold through the arm (socket) and the ball and installed the cotter pin from the back. Not very elegant, but it has worked so far.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do I need to remove manifold?

I suspect my linkage has popped off. I would like to try zip tie. How much disassembly is needed? Do I need to remove upper manifold completely to access the linkage?
Old 06-25-2019, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 278 Posts

I had the same issue. I didn't really understand what was going on until I got in there for another reason. Then I discovered the popped off mechanism.

Check the video I posted here which will show you how to get there: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...video-2972696/
Old 07-02-2019, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
I had the same issue. I didn't really understand what was going on until I got in there for another reason. Then I discovered the popped off mechanism.

Check the video I posted here which will show you how to get there: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...video-2972696/

Thank you very much!!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P2006 Intake Manifold Arm Popping off - EASY FIX

I have a 2006 B7 3.2L and the intake manifold flap actuator arm kept popped off. There is no friction in the intake flap, and I have been told the ball and socket can wear causing it to fall off. I know there are zip tie and cotter pin fixes, but I tried something easy and it's been holding for a couple of months now. I just took a piece of teflon pipe tape and held it between the ball and socket and popped them back into place with a screw driver with the tape over the ball. It only took about 2 minutes to install. The first time it only lasted about 3 weeks, then the tape must have worked its way out. The second time I tied a knot with the ends of the teflon take and it's been holding for a couple months now.

Might not be the ultimate fix, but it's definitely the easiest. It takes a few tries to get the tape in place before pushing the ball and socket back together.
The following users liked this post:
Sverige (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 12:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko

I think this is the updated link for the above video, which is no longer accessible:

and hopefully Keli won’t mind if I also add a link to his really good “definitive fix” video for the same issue

Quick Reply: 2005 A6 3.2 Intake Flap Actuator Arm disconnecting. need help gurus!