A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2005 A6 4.2 Cylinder 1, 2, 3 misfires

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:

So yesterday I ended up changing the Cam Position Sensors for both banks. After some research, I found information that points that's the Camshaft Valve actuators cannot be removed unless the the engine/timing case is removed from the car. Can anyone confirm this?

After installing both new Cam Position Sensors, I cleared all DTC's via vagcom, started the car... it ran smooth for a few seconds then started rough idling again. I then scanned the car again via vagcom and this time I had codes for random misfire, Cylinder 1 and 3.

Anymore ideas?

Last edited by Nightlifephantom; 11-07-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update:

So I noticed my coolant was disappearing little by little. I topped of coolant with G13... level seems fine after a few days... weird.

As for the Actuators... all manufactures I spoke to said that it's built onto the timing tensioner and there no way to just replace just the actuator on the 4.2? Can someone verify that for me?

Also it appears that more cylinders are now misfiring.

So far updated symptoms are;

- Very rough idling at idle that's smooths away at driving but still I can see the rev needle jumping/twitching

- Car takes a while to warm up on the temp gauge

- When first starting car looks like there USB more smoke coming out of left exhaust pipe than the right exhaust pipe

- Less performance

- Very poor gas mileage

Last edited by Nightlifephantom; 11-14-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

After my last post, I ended up taking the car to Audi for diagnosis. After weeks of them having my car... I was told today that the timing is off. Audi wants to charge a whopping $4,997 to retime the car.

Anyone have a DIY on fixing the timing?

I'm located in upstate NY and would also consider having someone do the work for me for a lot less if possible.

Thanks guys.

2005 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
Old 12-30-2017, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, so after speaking to the service manager some more... I was told the timing was off by half a tooth. At this point I'm highly doubting the timing chain/timing is causing this issue.
Anyone know if Timing be half a tooth off would cause these misfires?
Old 01-02-2018, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightlifephantom
Ok, so after speaking to the service manager some more... I was told the timing was off by half a tooth. At this point I'm highly doubting the timing chain/timing is causing this issue.
I recall in my old C5 I had timing off my a full tooth and didn't get a CEL...the car sounded bad and didn't run great, but I think that's a red herring.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were you able to confirm it was the timing causing your issue?
Old 01-09-2018, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Craig Cringston
Were you able to confirm it was the timing causing your issue?
The Audi Tech at the dealership stated that the passenger side lower cam timing is off and that the cam locking insert tool would not go in the holes because of that. My car is still at the dealer still waiting for a definite answer but at this time they still think it's the timing off by half a tooth.I'm still highly disagreeing with their opinion due to the fact that I had codes for the rear o2 sensor right when this problem started and I replaced both rear o2 sensors and havnt had a code back yet for them. I'm thinking it's a leaky fuel injector, front o2 sensors or possible fuel pump issue.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Audi Tech at the dealership stated that the passenger side lower cam timing is off and that the cam locking insert tool would not go in the holes because of that. My car is still at the dealer still waiting for a definite answer but at this time they still think it's the timing off by half a tooth.I'm still highly disagreeing with their opinion due to the fact that I had codes for the rear o2 sensor right when this problem started and I replaced both rear o2 sensors and havn't had a code back yet for them. I'm thinking it's a leaky fuel injector, front o2 sensors or possible fuel pump issue.
Dude, I am hoping its the latter for you. I have been searching all over this forum for a more definitive answer to yours and and many others as mine is doing something very similar. That is weird they think it is the timing and yet have gotten back to you on the confirmation. Especially that you got more promising codes.

This is what I get:
P0056 - O2 Sensor Heater Contr. Circ.(Bank2 Sensor 2) -
DTC Status: Sporadic

P1672 - Fan 1 Control circuit Open circuit /short circuit to ground
DTC Status: (blank)

P1900 - Fan 2 control circuit Open circuit/Short to ground

P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

P0301 - Cyl. 1 Misfire Detected

P0303 - Cyl. 3 Misfire Detected
Since then I have replaced the following:
put in a new battery from pep boys
All spark plugs with Iridium NGK (the person before me had 4 different plugs installed)
All new coils packs
on one side (to test for Cylinder 7) i replaced the coil pack harness because all four would not hold their connections to the coils
Changed the oil and filter
put in fuel injector cleaner (although i have not ran it long enough for it to even do much.
It runs a little better but still has a rough idle. Never dulling out.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Craig Cringston
Dude, I am hoping its the latter for you. I have been searching all over this forum for a more definitive answer to yours and and many others as mine is doing something very similar. That is weird they think it is the timing and yet have gotten back to you on the confirmation. Especially that you got more promising codes.

This is what I get:
P0056 - O2 Sensor Heater Contr. Circ.(Bank2 Sensor 2) -
DTC Status: Sporadic

P1672 - Fan 1 Control circuit Open circuit /short circuit to ground

P1900 - Fan 2 control circuit Open circuit/Short to ground

P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

P0301 - Cyl. 1 Misfire Detected

P0303 - Cyl. 3 Misfire Detected
Since then I have replaced the following:
put in a new battery from pep boys
All spark plugs with Iridium NGK (the person before me had 4 different plugs installed)
All new coils packs
on one side (to test for Cylinder 7) i replaced the coil pack harness because all four would not hold their connections to the coils
Changed the oil and filter
put in fuel injector cleaner (although i have not ran it long enough for it to even do much.
It runs a little better but still has a rough idle. Never dulling out.
Did you check your fuses?
Old 01-10-2018, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you check your fuses?
I have not yet, but I will now. Can’t rule anything out. What makes you suggest to check those? I’m going to take the manifold off when I get home and then the fuel injectors and test them with carb cleaner and a twelve volt supply

Quick Reply: 2005 A6 4.2 Cylinder 1, 2, 3 misfires