A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2008 A6 AMI MMI Ipod retrofit

Old 02-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cables are all hidden now - couldn't wait to post the pics

Cables are all hidden now - couldn't wait to post the pics so I took them before cleaning the install up a bit...
Old 02-24-2009, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Dension GW 500 is really a great option. $400

Thank you very much for the info. Are the Denison 500's features better/worse/about the same as the Audi OEM Ipod adapter. I wonder what I get with the Audi product for $200 more -- if the Denison features are the same then it is a no brainer.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, I know. Old post that I'm bringing back.

I just got a 2006 A6 4.2L and am really missing iPod input I had in my Honda Pilot.

So my dilemma is which interface to go with. I have dug up several old posts and am confident I will be able to install either the Dension Gateway 500 or the Audi AMI retrofit.

Questions I still have after searching around multiple threads for hours:

Does anyone have any pics of the AMI retrofit in action? Glovebox before and after, and the AMI up on the screen? I like the Gateway interface well enough, but I just can't seem to shake the feeling that it looks like a hack into the system (Using CD-***** as menu selections). I want to see/hear if the AMI retrofit is more OEM-like or if its the same as the Dension.

If its the same interface on the AMI, then its a $225 savings to go with the Dension. But if it's more OEM-like in appearance both in the glovebox and on the screen, I think I will pay the bit extra for the AUDI kit.

TIA!
Old 08-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

BTW, thanks to those that have done the installs and posted writeups on these forums!
Old 08-29-2009, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter80
So, I know. Old post that I'm bringing back.

I just got a 2006 A6 4.2L and am really missing iPod input I had in my Honda Pilot.

Does anyone have any pics of the AMI retrofit in action? Glovebox before and after, and the AMI up on the screen? I like the Gateway interface well enough, but I just can't seem to shake the feeling that it looks like a hack into the system (Using CD-***** as menu selections). I want to see/hear if the AMI retrofit is more OEM-like or if its the same as the Dension.

If its the same interface on the AMI, then its a $225 savings to go with the Dension. But if it's more OEM-like in appearance both in the glovebox and on the screen, I think I will pay the bit extra for the AUDI kit.

TIA!
I went the AMI route. Did it myself. Wouldn't though if I had to do it again. I saved cash but lost time. This article helped me with the install [http://audiforum.us/mmi/7015-retrofi...ednesday.html].

I can post after shots of the MMI display if you don't find 'em elsewhere...
Old 08-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by landjb4u
I went the AMI route. Did it myself. Wouldn't though if I had to do it again. I saved cash but lost time. This article helped me with the install [http://audiforum.us/mmi/7015-retrofi...ednesday.html].

I can post after shots of the MMI display if you don't find 'em elsewhere...
Your link is broken. I would greatly appreciate any photos you could post. I can't find them anywhere after a couple hours of searching. Maybe its me.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oooop, I just searched with you link and I found it... Thanks so much, exactly what I was looking for!

http://audiforum.us/mmi/7015-retrofi...dnesday-2.html
Old 08-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

gotta still go with the dension - it is transferrable to any recent porsche, mercedes or audi using the MOST fiber optic system - and has a pretty decent value if you want to sell. The AMI is only for the audi...YMMV
Old 08-29-2009, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter80
Your link is broken. I would greatly appreciate any photos you could post. I can't find them anywhere after a couple hours of searching. Maybe its me.
The link is: http://audiforum.us/mmi/7015-retrofi...wednesday.html

I've attached pics. Starting from the source menu and working your way down through artists, albums, then individual tracks.

combination of bright flash and surprisingly unclean display led to poor pics. hopefully they're good enough.
Attached Images      
Old 08-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Very cool. Thanks for the pics.

I have a rather large collection on my iPod. Can you tell me if the AMI has a way to skip-to-letter, much like an iPod has? I believe the Dension has this feature in a separate menu item? I am wondering how the AMI handles this if at all. My Honda Pilot was sorely lacking this feature, making navigating titles extremely arduous.

Thanks Again.

GrundoA6, I think the Dension is still on top due to price, but the AMI looks more integrated, which is attractive as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 A6 AMI MMI Ipod retrofit