A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2008 A6 AMI MMI Ipod retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter80
Very cool. Thanks for the pics.

I have a rather large collection on my iPod. Can you tell me if the AMI has a way to skip-to-letter, much like an iPod has? I believe the Dension has this feature in a separate menu item?
No, no skip to letter. If you spin the wheel fast/long enough, it gives a percentage type move interface (A tall rectangle with a count of the items in the list at the bottom and the number of the current item that is elected; as you move the wheel the number adjusts; I don't have enough hands to get a picture of it.)
Old 08-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by landjb4u
I don't have enough hands to get a picture of it.)
LOL! Thanks for your help. Another item added to the Dension + list. I'll place an order for one or the other tomorrow or Monday after mulling it over some more.

Thanks again for all the info/help!
Old 09-16-2009, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

LOL! Thanks for your help. Another item added to the Dension + list. I'll place an order for one or the other tomorrow or Monday after mulling it over some more.

Thanks again for all the info/help!
Curious on what you decided to do?
Old 09-17-2009, 03:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I meant to post a while ago.

I went with the Dension. I ordered it from Enfig and got it shortly thereafter. I was shorted the iPod interface cable but called them up and they shipped it out no problem.

Install was a breeze, I didn't pull the glovebox at all. I just got the radio removal keys off eBay and slipped the CD changer out and did the install through that orifice. I tapped power from the back of the CD changer harness (the red with other color) as well as ground (I think that was brown) and then did the MOST cables per the Dension instructions being careflul to watch for the arrows indicating the direction of the "flow" of light. Easy!

I fed the iPod adapter, USB, AUX/toggle cables through a pre-existing hole on the cubby side(my early 2006 glovebox had no provision for AMI or 2nd changer unlike later models supposedly do).

The hardest part was tucking the Dension and all the wiring and MOST cables back through the CD Changer slot. There is plenty of room behind the glovebox, but I was just nervous about bending the MOST cables.

I haven't had a lot of time to play with it as I have a work vehicle that I drive daily, but I am happy with it so far. I played with the interface and its not all that difficult after a bit of use. The sound quality is fantastic, and the visible portions of the install fit very nicely in the cubby and look fairly factory.

All-in-all, for another $300 I would hope the MMI did something more than the Dension but it sounds like it did less, so I am happy I went with the Dension.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Cool, thanks for the update.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ipod question

I have an 06 with navi, advance key entry, I'm confused as to what i need to hook up my ipod to the mmi. I've seen some sites where its just a wire from the ipod to what looks like the back of the cd player then I hear the AMI? Can someone help me with this?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cespinal
I have an 06 with navi, advance key entry, I'm confused as to what i need to hook up my ipod to the mmi. I've seen some sites where its just a wire from the ipod to what looks like the back of the cd player then I hear the AMI? Can someone help me with this?
As far as I know, if you'd like to CONTROL your iPod with the car controls, you will need either the Dension Gateway500, or the AMI. There seem to be many ways to just get the audio out of your iPod and into the MOST loop, but controlling the iPod limits your choices and is much more expensive.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ???

As far as I know, if you'd like to CONTROL your iPod with the car controls, you will need either the Dension Gateway500, or the AMI. There seem to be many ways to just get the audio out of your iPod and into the MOST loop, but controlling the iPod limits your choices and is much more expensive.
What do you mean the MOST loop? no sure what that is.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

MOST is an optical network that carries data and audio around the car.

I would always go with the Dension, quicker to navigate, and you have a proper A, B, C, ....search, when you have over 1000 artists on your ipod that is invaluable imho.
Plus I like having a 2.5" hard drive plugged in the car at the same time as the ipod dock spare and just switching between the two using the MMI menu.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default While music is playing?

Hi, have seen many many screen shots of navigating through the iPod menu with the Gateway 500 (or AMI), but curious as to what the screen does while the iPod is playing and you on a different screen (like nav, or home screen, etc.) Does it show somewhere on the screen what the current song is? (maybe album/artist/playlist position/etc.)?

Am buying a 2005 A6 4.2 next week and getting one of these (probably the gateway) hooked up is pri #1.

Thanks for the posts!

Quick Reply: 2008 A6 AMI MMI Ipod retrofit