A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2008 Audi A6 3.2 issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Audi A6 3.2 issues

Hello,

First post. We are a 3 Audi family ('12 A7-me, '10 Q5-my wife, and new to us '08 A6-daughter).

We are experiencing some electrical issues (i think) and wanted to reach out to see if anyone had any suggestions/input?

Issue #1
  • Center of gauge cluster, where the mini vehicle and idiots lights are, will not illuminate between the tach and the speedometer?
Issue #2
  • The front passenger door will not lock. Car thinks it is locked as alarm goes on. But you can open the front passenger door when car is supposedly locked.
Not much of a DIY guy, but would be appreciate of any feedback/suggestions that I could point my indy service guy to.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 01-23-2018, 03:46 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

For electrical stuff, you can't do much without VAG COM. Did you RTFM about the center cluster? There's probably a way to turn it on and off.
The door issue sounds like a latch, but you need VAG COM to verify.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

sorry-complete newbie.. What does RTFM mean?

"Did you RTFM about the center cluster"
Old 01-23-2018, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by wineohs
sorry-complete newbie.. What does RTFM mean?

"Did you RTFM about the center cluster"
Read The F%#ing Manual - The information you've asked about should be in the owner's manual, which is usually located in your glove box. If not there, check the stowaway sliding bins under your front seats...if you have them.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a small switch on wiper lever, on top of it....try pressing that, might be that she clicked the info panel off.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yep, tried that and nothing.

It's getting a new (to us) cluster put in on Wed
Old 02-20-2018, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

so here is latest if anybody has suggestions>>>
  • Dealer Installed new (to us) instrument cluster. The center section now working fine. As with the old cluster, the time, date, and trip odometer reset and goes back to 0 (or in service date 5/01/07) upon each restart. Made sure battery was matched to vehicle. Issue persists. Battery management control issue??
  • Distance to empty on center gauge varies widely while driving and is not accurate. Nor is fuel gauge needle. Appears we are going through more gas than possible. No leaks. Car runs and idles like a champ. Had indie service ensure that there were no fault codes (Vag Com) coming from either fuel sending unit. They came back fine???
Any ideas or suggestions on the above
Old 03-02-2018, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I have been having battery issues and weird electrical issues. I replaced the battery a few weeks ago with an aftermarket battery from Advance auto parts. Last night the battery completely drained.

I took the battery out of the car and charged it overnight and when I reinstalled it this morning, everything was normal and the car started right up. The battery charge screen in the MMI showed the battery around 20% but as I drove the car around it charged up to 100% in about 30 min or so of driving.

Today I called the audi dealership that I purchased the car from. I told the service advisor that the battery that I just installed in the car 3 weeks ago keeps draining and I asked him if you had to perform any changes in an Audi's computer after replacing the battery and he said he didn't know but would go and discuss it with a mechanic. He returned to the phone and gave me a standard, canned response, "It is best that you bring the car in so we can hook it up and diagnose the issue". I told him that would be an obvious thing to do but I just wanted to call and ask if it was a known issue that when replacing audi batteries that updates to the computer needed to be made.

So, after not getting much help from him, I went to my friend called YouTube. By the way, my battery is from Advance auto and does not have the BEM code that you will see in the videos.

Please watch these videos and tell me what you think. I do not own a VAG-COM setup so that is my initial challenge.
The first video says the solution is to encode the new battery to the energy management control module. Encoding erases the old adaptation values in the control unit and replaces them with new adaptation values that meet the requirements of the new battery. The new battery must have the BEM tag on it because the BEM tag has all of the information needed for the information required to do the coding. First video uses a non-VCDS system to do the coding.
The video below uses VCDS to do the coding.