A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2013 Audi A6 3.0t exhaust seems rough

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Audi A6 3.0t exhaust seems rough

Just a general question, my 2013 a6 3.0T has around 60k miles on it, recently my exhaust started sounding just a little louder and rougher, rougher is the best word, I don't notice performance degradation but just the rough feeling and slight increase in noise from exhaust (or the engine for that matter, I hope it's not an engine problem but..) any one have any ideas or recommendations? I just hate taking it to the dealer, my dealer around here is sort of a jerk.

Thanks Community
Old 12-07-2016, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Bastian D Caine
Just a general question, my 2013 a6 3.0T has around 60k miles on it, recently my exhaust started sounding just a little louder and rougher, rougher is the best word, I don't notice performance degradation but just the rough feeling and slight increase in noise from exhaust (or the engine for that matter, I hope it's not an engine problem but..) any one have any ideas or recommendations? I just hate taking it to the dealer, my dealer around here is sort of a jerk.

Thanks Community
Welcome to the forum and there's a chance a flex pipe on the exhaust has been damaged and will need replacement...a relatively easy fix that any decent muffler shop can do.

Also you vehicle is a C7 and you've posted this on the C6 subforum.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. The drivers side flex pipe slowly degraded &, eventually, cracked on my '06 3.2. It was a little louder until it degraded to a good sized crack. Then, it got way too abrasive sounding & was time to repair.

Last edited by LarryJa; 05-11-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it to your local Audi dealer, it could be covered under warranty for free.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As a follow-up on my earlier reply, I am finally getting the driver's side flex pipe replaced on my '06 3.2.
However, I am holding off until I replace my snub mount bushing. I believe the looseness in the worn snub mount contributed(significantly?) to fatiguing the flex pipe into failure.
I only began considering that as I decided replace the snub mount before replacing the flex pipe, so as to not stress the new flex pipe as I jacked the engine during replacement snub mount positioning.
When I had that thought, I realized that the loose snub mount was already allowing more movement of the engine & flexing the exhaust almost continuously. &, that was hastening it's failure.
So, I have an ECS poly snub mount being shipped to me. I'll install it ASAP &, then, get the the flex pipe done.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bastian D Caine
Just a general question, my 2013 a6 3.0T has around 60k miles on it, recently my exhaust started sounding just a little louder and rougher, rougher is the best word,
Welcome top the AudiWorld forums.

Take the car to any repair shop, put it on the lift and find out if the exhaust is leaking. Don't buy anything just yet.

Many people have put aftermarket exhaust systems on their C7's and have stock systems gathering dust in the garages. You might be able to buy used parts to replace where ever it is leaking. Everything bolts up - no welding required.

C ya on the C7 side.