A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

3.0TDI Remap or chip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0TDI Remap or chip?

Hi,
I know this is always the question when someone decide to increase hp and torque... remap or chip?
Concerning the 3.0tdi engine what you think? what's your choice and are you happy? Pros and Cons?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2018, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

nobody done it...
Old 04-10-2018, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rui Rosa
nobody done it...
Hello Rui;

I am not doing chiptuning business but; couple of years ago I went to a ECU tuning tool manufacturer to get ceritification for this.
It was just for pleasure

Always; remapping it the best solution; do not forget this.
Especially; you should do this in expert shops for this process, not try everyone.
Because lots of people are using same ECU file for all same model cars;
This will bring lots of issues in the future. They are copying and pasting...
The file must be edited with its own parameters.
Adv. : exact backup of your ECU; even if it burns; you can copy the file with same Hardware number ECU'from a different cars also...
Exact tuning for your own car with its own parameters
More torque and power
More safety
Cheap (if you can do this yourself)
Disadv. : you have to find and expert shop for this
Expensive (if you go to a remap shop)
ECU must be removed and opened - a bit risky
Can be erased by dealer,
Or warranty will be void (if your car has)

What about chip boxes;
I never suggest this;
This method infects all the electrical system of the cars by sensing or indicating different values from the sensors;
It effects the sensor values which are coming from sensors and going to ECU;
For example; imagine that dpf pressure sensor reads 10 psi; it says to ecu dpf pressure is 6 psi etc...
Adv. : easy application
you can remove before going to service
you can sell it if you dont want it anymore
Disadv. :
very risky (my opinion)
expensive
can create errors or DTC
less gain than remap
Old 04-26-2018, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you!!
I had the same idea, but I've been seeing some high value boxes, like RaceChip, that make me wonder.
For sure those aren't the same as 50USD boxes, are they?? Any opinion or experience on those?
Old 04-27-2018, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Nothing can beat a good remap on a dyno stand. Also have in mind that if you want a good remap, you will need to turn off the ecology stuff - EGR, swirl flaps, DPF. Also removing the catalyc converter helps a lot too. But this is if you are going for like 25-35% increase in HP. If you are doing just a small tune-up, you can keep them. Also removing these things can bring up hidden issues with the car, such as faulty injectors, masked until then by the exhaust system, or faulty turbo, or worn gearbox (mind the extra torque), worn differentials (I broke my rear one ), issues with the drive train, etc.

Still a good conditioned 3.0TDI BMK (225hp) can easily do 300hp, while I've seen couple ones at around 330hp, but you won't do without upgrading the gearbox. Mine is at around 285hp and the gearbox started giving up slowly (granted it is its second remapped car and has around 80+k km with this power).
Old 04-27-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kainy
Nothing can beat a good remap on a dyno stand. Also have in mind that if you want a good remap, you will need to turn off the ecology stuff - EGR, swirl flaps, DPF. Also removing the catalyc converter helps a lot too. But this is if you are going for like 25-35% increase in HP. If you are doing just a small tune-up, you can keep them. Also removing these things can bring up hidden issues with the car, such as faulty injectors, masked until then by the exhaust system, or faulty turbo, or worn gearbox (mind the extra torque), worn differentials (I broke my rear one ), issues with the drive train, etc.

Still a good conditioned 3.0TDI BMK (225hp) can easily do 300hp, while I've seen couple ones at around 330hp, but you won't do without upgrading the gearbox. Mine is at around 285hp and the gearbox started giving up slowly (granted it is its second remapped car and has around 80+k km with this power).
My car have the BMK engine with automatic quattro gearbox.
I really don't need much more power... what I need is the car to respond like on sport mode, without that lag time when we press the accelerator.
Question: Why don't you just use it on S mode?
Because I don't want the car to hold the gears on low gear. I want the car to become just a little more sporty without that lag time.
I'll try to find a good remap person
Old 04-29-2018, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, although I do not know everything which the Sport mode changes, the main reason you do not feel the lag, to my best understanding, us largely due to the constant high RPM. The main reason for the delay is the turbo lag, and the fact where on D the car is constantly under 1500 rpm. From experience I can tell you that even when with the remap they make the turbo to spin earlier (I don't remember the exact RPM) the result is not the same as on Sport. What actually happens is that the pull is actually stronger, but most of the lag still stays. The only real non-invasive way to keep a turbo lag at a minimum is to keep the car in high RPM, which is what the Sport mode tries to do. All other ways to be effective need modifications, such for example - a smaller second turbo or a supercharger for the low rpm, but such things I haven't seen somebody to do on an A6.