A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

3.2 and 4.2 Reliability (timing chains)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 05-06 4.2 has some plastic-only chain guides in the center and they break/fracture often. On the 3.2 those guides have metallic support so they rarely go. On the 3.2 the upper tensioners fail more often but those can be done with the engine in the car.
while the 4.2 is nice, the 3.2 is more reliable as far as timing goes.
The 4.2 has to come out no matter what needs to be done, it's tight in there. On top of that, on my 4.2 i had fuel injectors stuck open on two separate occasions. Add half of the coilpacks failing and the reliability overall was terrible. I know they are cheap items but still a pain. So i kept only my 3.2 and I'm glad i did.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

All of the 3.2L V6 engines have timing chains and tensioners, starting in MY 2005.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by odoboyusa
The 05-06 4.2 has some plastic-only chain guides in the center and they break/fracture often. On the 3.2 those guides have metallic support so they rarely go. On the 3.2 the upper tensioners fail more often but those can be done with the engine in the car.
while the 4.2 is nice, the 3.2 is more reliable as far as timing goes.
The 4.2 has to come out no matter what needs to be done, it's tight in there. On top of that, on my 4.2 i had fuel injectors stuck open on two separate occasions. Add half of the coilpacks failing and the reliability overall was terrible. I know they are cheap items but still a pain. So i kept only my 3.2 and I'm glad i did.
This really makes me consider the 3.2 again. Have you had good luck reliability wise?
Old 02-25-2014, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far so good but my 3.2 and 4.2 were both cars i bought with a bad engine. The 4.2 hydrolocked at 77k and the 3.2 has the timing fail at 161k. Still, the bad 3.2 looked like the owner went 10k and more on the oil change as everything was coated in black sludge. That caused premature wear on the pass side tensioner and wore through the plastic guide. The replacement 3.2 installed ( the car was very nice and clean, everytjong functional) had 90k and timing looked like it could go another 90k no problem. On the 4.2, at 77k a lower chain guide was broken.
So my initial ride was bumpy as I bought project cars but I came to like the 3.2 more than the 4.2. Has plenty of power and good fuel economy. Also on the 3.2 you can fix most regular items like power steering, alternator, air conditioning compressor fairly easily. On the 4.2 the power steering pump and the air conditioning are installed with their input shafts toward the rear of the car and are driven by the chain system, putting more stress on the chain drive.
So my point is that the 3.2 is likely to be more reliable and it's easier to work on when something happens.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike141
enoch861,
I am in the opposite boat as you...I have a D3 and looking to get into a C6 (leaning towards the 3.2), when you say wallet raping engine; what exactly have you had to do to it? With only 115K I would like to know what I am about to get into. To be honest, the only $$$$ I had to put into my 05 D3 engine was the timing belt/thermostat/water pump but that's just normal maintenance on my engine. I have been looking for an 05-08 A6 for about a month now and have seen them for sale with up to 200K on them (not that I would buy one with that many). Are all the 05-08 3.2s FSI with timing chains? Thanks!
Run don't walk from the 3.2
I know I have 175k on mine but to replace some lower made up valve cover gaskets but it leaks like a sieve. The motor has to be removed to access these. Plus the timing chain gasket leaks the oil pan leaks etc..... the motor runs flawlessly so does the tranny. Everything else possible to go wrong has gone wrong. I've stuck 15k in to this car in 5 years. Never again. U buy a car with a belt you change it what twice in a lifetime. I'd rather have a belt. Plus belts make zero noise. But honestly I would never buy a German car period again. Repair costs don't justify the fun and good looks
Old 02-13-2018, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Witchhunt
Run don't walk from the 3.2
I know I have 175k on mine but to replace some lower made up valve cover gaskets but it leaks like a sieve. The motor has to be removed to access these. Plus the timing chain gasket leaks the oil pan leaks etc..... the motor runs flawlessly so does the tranny. Everything else possible to go wrong has gone wrong. I've stuck 15k in to this car in 5 years. Never again. U buy a car with a belt you change it what twice in a lifetime. I'd rather have a belt. Plus belts make zero noise. But honestly I would never buy a German car period again. Repair costs don't justify the fun and good looks
You just answered a question which was asked 4 years ago! Putting money into a car which is over 10 years old isn't something that should be new for folks to understand. Or would you prefer to be the person that spends $0 on maintenance and let the thing die on it's own...reminds me of the person I worked with who hadn't changed their oil in over 35K miles and 3 years!
Old 02-13-2018, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raj99
You just answered a question which was asked 4 years ago! Putting money into a car which is over 10 years old isn't something that should be new for folks to understand. Or would you prefer to be the person that spends $0 on maintenance and let the thing die on it's own...reminds me of the person I worked with who hadn't changed their oil in over 35K miles and 3 years!
I do all my scheduled maintenance like 120 dollar oil changes on time. Of course if I had a Honda it would be 60 bucks. But the Accord and camry has only been the top selling car for 20 years cuz everyone who has one does their scheduled maintenance on time. That's the reason. It has nothing to do with engineering or the lack of German business sense. Go drive your S7 which cost you two Corvettes. Egg Head
Old 02-13-2018, 02:51 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

If you had a Honda would you still call people names on my forum? Probably. Don't do it.

Accord and Camry have been top sellers because of people who would rather have an appliance.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:28 PM
Banned

I'll take a Honda Blender that works over an Audi on a lift 80% of the time. I hate when people blame others for not following the maintenance schedule. Half the Vw/ Audis in the junkyard people followed the ridiculous maintenance schedule
Change power steering fluid every 2 years
Okayyyyyyy here is 800 bucks. Thanks at least you get a free cup of Kuerig
Old 02-13-2018, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Holy thread revival Batman! Four years later and the only thing added was calling one of the most respected members of the forum silly names.

Quick Reply: 3.2 and 4.2 Reliability (timing chains)