A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

3.2 Chains. Waste of a good Sunday.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Anyone been in this far? Tips for changing chains and resetting timing?

Need to replace a few bank one valves too....oddly, it's bent intake valves.

(Not my car BTW. Doing a favor for a friend.)

Back on topic (sorry about the diversion onto Kevin's 4.2)...

You will want the proper timing tools. I think there are a few on the forums here or on Audizine that might have them, and be willing to loan/rent them to you.

Given that you have to pull the head(s), would (in hindsight) it have been easier to drop the engine and trans together? I know on my 4.2, there's no option to drop just the transmission. It's shoehorned in there too tightly.

Also, one thought: If the cam timing is off or adjusters have gone bad, you might be losing compression due to that, rather than bent valves. If you haven't already, I'd suggest getting a borescope to get a good look.

Last edited by ProtoFly; 03-31-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:35 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ProtoFly
Back on topic (sorry about the diversion onto Kevin's 4.2)...

You will want the proper timing tools. I think there are a few on the forums here or on Audizine that might have them, and be willing to loan/rent them to you.

Given that you have to pull the head(s), would (in hindsight) it have been easier to drop the engine and trans together? I know on my 4.2, there's no option to drop just the transmission. It's shoehorned in there too tightly.

Also, one thought: If the cam timing is off or adjusters have gone bad, you might be losing compression due to that, rather than bent valves. If you haven't already, I'd suggest getting a borescope to get a good look.
Thanks for the insights. Here's more info:

On the tools, I have the cam lockers and will buy the crank pin.

On the extraction, the trans removal was pretty darn easy. Lots of room to work as the tunnel was clearly designed for the V8. Pulling the engine would be more work, and it would be difficult to figure out how to support the trans. I think this is the best way.

On the valves, everyone but #1 passes leak down, but all pistons on bank one have a "kiss" mark on the pistons from intake valve contact. I may replace all 6 intakes on the bank just to be sure I don't have future issues.

When I got this, the timing cover on the rear of bank one was clean and had new RTV. When I removed the cover, I found the bank one cams were in time with each other, but not with the crank or bank two. All was well on bank two; cams were in time with each other and the crank. I reset bank one to the correct timing and did the leak down test.

There is a lot so slop in the main chain. When you rotate the engine backwards, the crank turns at least 15 degrees before the cams move. Because of this, and because it really wasn't possible to figure which chain jumped on the bank one intermediate shaft, I pulled the whole thing apart.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:13 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

WOW. Would it not have been easier to remove the engine from the car? These are the things that keep me in my old C5 A6... Till it won't run any more. Or there's nothing left of the body. Whichever comes first.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:34 PM
Tech Guru

Bentley says to pull the trans, Kris.
I was a skeptic, but now I'm a believer. It was actually much easier than I thought...and waaay easier than the C5.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing obvious yet. The only thing I see is that the main chain tensioner piston retracts very easily. I need to get the oil pump chain off first, but my Bentley PC crashed and I'm not digging deeper without support.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate Bentley Publishers? They tell you that you should only install on PC's that are stable so you don't risk content loss...but the newest operating system they support goes end of life in a week. Fan-f'ing-tastic.
And it hangs even on that old OS. My PC was stable until I installed Bentley and that stupid IBahn. I should have bought the books.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by ajg617
And it hangs even on that old OS. My PC was stable until I installed Bentley and that stupid IBahn. I should have bought the books.
Don't worry about that. Their top priority is protecting themselves from you. Your user experience is secondary.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing obvious yet. The only thing I see is that the main chain tensioner piston retracts very easily. I need to get the oil pump chain off first, but my Bentley PC crashed and I'm not digging deeper without support.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate Bentley Publishers? They tell you that you should only install on PC's that are stable so you don't risk content loss...but the newest operating system they support goes end of life in a week. Fan-f'ing-tastic.
2nd that smh
Old 04-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Cool. I guess it's six of one, half dozen the other in this case.. =)