AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/)
-   -   A6 C6 3.2 engine removal for timing chains (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/a6-c6-3-2-engine-removal-timing-chains-2889577/)

uble1234 09-25-2015 08:09 AM

A6 C6 3.2 engine removal for timing chains

This post describes my task of removing my engine andreplacing all tensioners and chains in my Audi 3.2L

History replaced upper timing chain tensioners with successput an additional 40000 miles on car and rattle returned during extremely cold northernMichigan winters. So decided to replace all chains and tensioners.

Ordered kit online for 850.00 from ebay included all fourchains and tensioners.

Day 1

Removed skid plate and air damns from underneath removedfront bumper cover there are two 10 mm nuts that attach the front bumper coverto the front fenders behind the fender felts and associated attaching hardware.Drained engine oil drained radiator by removing spring clip that holds radiatorconnection to radiator be very carefully as these are attached very well aftertime. Removed front bumper disconnected transmission cooler and AC lines cappedall four plugged associated holes in cooling pack removed all sensor clips andcoil packs from engine placed radiator overflow reservoir on passenger sidefender removed air filter box and intake pipes removed power steering line frompump removed ground strap from engine lower passenger side left starterconnected to alternator and harness did not disconnect battery as I don’t havea vag removed starter one bolt faces front anther runs through transmissionbell housing bottom starter requires a triple square socket laid starter and alternator on blocks infront of passenger side wheel. Removed cooling pack and carefully pulled powersteering cooler lines out leaving them connected on driver’s side. Had triplesquare cut down to fit socket for torque converter bolts there are three wasable to fit 3/8 ratchet and socket containing cut down triples square to remove3 torque converter bolts very tight! But they came out removed 3 Allen headedbolts from bottom of transmission loosened top bellhousing bolts they are a differentsizes so mark them.

Day 2

Rented engine hoist used bolts from bumper mounts and nutsfrom engine mounts to attach chains 2 chains placed slight pressure on chainsand removed lower bolts from engine the three Allen screw bolts then removedbell housing bolts marked location multiple lengths. Removed engine afterrealizing had to remove 1 AC line from compressor.

Removed valve covers and spark plugs rotated engine withcrank turning tool until top dead center installed crank pin behind driversside motor mount by the way this is totally doable with engine in with ¼ inchdrive ratchet and Allen socket installed cam locks removed both head endcovers removed flywheel then worked fromthe bottom removing all screws that hold back cover there are four down screwstorx on each head insure they get removed oil filter housing removed lastmounting screw hidden under the crank case vent tube on the passenger side headfinally able to remove the back cover.

uble1234 09-25-2015 08:28 AM

engine removal continued

continued removed all 4 cam timing sprockets removed upper tensioners carefullyremoved all guides again triple squares this can easily break guides because theyare brittle at this point and when removing the screws they force back theguides and the chains press against the guide ridge. next removed lowertensioner and carefully oh so carefully installed new guide for center chainwith chain on guides so as not to break the new guides installed new lowertensioner this whole thing took a couple of hours installed new oil pump chaininstalled new cam tensioners installed cam timing sprockets rotated engine20-25 times ensured after removing the cam locks insured timing aligned back upmany time!

uble1234 09-29-2015 12:16 PM

All was sucessful engine and installed 100 mile test drive all is well except for one unexpected clitch the dynamic range control for my headlights is on and well no VAG to recalibrate

LarryJa 04-17-2016 03:57 AM

Very good write up! Great guidance on twelve point sockets & cutting down sockets for the torque converter, etc.! THX!

mikebecher 06-29-2017 08:50 AM

hi,
im working on a audi a6 3.2 2008. im removing the engine. where are the tripple square bolts located to remove for the torque converter.

motosicky 06-30-2017 07:30 AM

Audi Workshop Manuals > A4 Cabriolet Mk2 > Power transmission > Automatic gearbox 09L, four-wheel drive > Automatic gearbox, control, assembly, housing > Removing and installing gearbox > Removing gearbox on vehicles with 3.2 ltr. FSI engine

4Driver4 06-30-2017 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by mikebecher (Post 24993569)
hi,
im working on a audi a6 3.2 2008. im removing the engine. where are the tripple square bolts located to remove for the torque converter.

The bolts go through the flex plate into the torque converter. They are only accessible by removing the starter. Beware: they are super tight.

mikebecher 06-30-2017 04:34 PM

It's a 6 speed tip tonic transmission I roll the motor over and no bolt I seen. Help please

mikebecher 06-30-2017 06:00 PM

have a 2 wheel drive only tiptronic 6 speed . for prima donnas only . if u aint worked on one dont chime in cuz they dont have triple square bolt Inside the starter hole.

4Driver4 07-01-2017 03:08 AM

Why not post a picture of what you are seeing through the starter hole?