A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

A6 C6 4F Rear light issue (ground appears okay)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 12:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 C6 4F Rear light issue (ground appears okay)

Hello everyone, I've been trawling the internet trying to fix this issue myself, seen countless threads about common earthing problems. Mine doesn't appear to fit into any of this boxes (at first glance). I could take it to someone but i wanted to try and narrow it down first.

I have an issue with the Offside rear Brake\dipped bulb, the 2nd bulb (indicator) in that cluster is fine. The inner 2 bulbs on the tailgate (same side) appear much dimmer as well. Its a UK car.

I believe it isn't a grounding issue because the indicator is working fine (they share a ground? (brown wire) and I've taken a feed from the +ve rail for the corresponding bulb on the nearside and when applied to the +ve rail for the Brake\dipped bulb it comes on straight away. Also bypassed the bulb holder & connector, it behaves in the same way

I notice when first turning the lights on, the dipped bulb does come on, pulses a few times and then goes out, followed by the bulb warning beep and notification on the DIS.

I've done a continuity test for the grey wire on the outer light to the module inside the car and also noticed (if correct) the rear inner lights receive power from the same pin? So i have 3 bulbs with issues all appearing to take their power from the same source?

I'm hoping to get it on vag-com in the next week or so. Can anyone suggest anything else i can try to isolate this further? Thank you!

inside boot

inner right tailgate cluster

outer right cluster

Old 09-24-2018, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't know if this is even possible since the connectors may be polarized but you could try removing the inner two modules and swap them left to right. Obviously you won't be able to mount them but if they can be plugged in and the problem moves to the other side then the problem is probably in the assembly. It could be as simple as an incorrect wattage bulb or an incorrectly inserted bulb. The wires with the tape on them, is that your doing?
Old 09-24-2018, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, yes tape is my doing I removed a little bit of insulation to connect a couple of wires direct to a bulb, witnessed exactly the same behaviour as with the bulb in the holder.

I can try swapping the Inners. Actually did that with the outers and really confused myself when neither worked (even after resetting the left and right modules by pulling the fuses). I think they are only meant to work on their respective sides.

​​​