A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

AC control panel removal

Old 11-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC control panel removal

Hi,

it's the first time I am posting on this forum, but I read it often and I am big Audi fan!

I own an Audi A6 Avant '08 and a couple a weeks ago the AC control panel in the center console started acting up. More specifically a few pixels - a whole horizontal line actually - disappeared from the temperature indicator's third digit (right - passenger side).

I do know this is usually due to a faulty connection between the LCD screen and the flat ribbon cable and I can fix it if I manage to take it out.

Does anybody know how I can remove the AC's panel from the car's center console?

Regards,
Dimi
Old 11-19-2010, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Per the Bentley Manual, you grasp under the module and carefully pull the module out of the center console. But isn't your '08 still under the factory warranty? If so, take it to your local dealer.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the quick answer!
Unfortunately I am out of warranty and I don't have the Bentley manual either...
Could you be a little more specific please? What am I suppose to grasp and pull? The AC module has a nickel fitting at it's lower edge and I can feel a couple of indentations on the under side. Does this nickel part come out too?

Any other screws, clips that have to removed?

Dimitris
Old 11-20-2010, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

THe nickel trim is part of the Climatronic Control Module J255, so it will come out with it. Grasp the lower edge of the module by the indentations and pull/rotate the module. Since you have an '08, the Bentley states that vehicles with production date beginning in 2006 have different clips that secure the module. If you can't pull it out as decribed above, the manual states to remove the center panel vent above it, then disengae the two top clips on the module using two small screwdrivers to remove the module.

I haven't pull this module on my '06 yet, but I will be doing so in the near future to replace the large center console wood trim insert (around the shifter/MMI). When I was doing a test of removing the module, I could start to feel it move out of the center panel as I pulled on the lower edge. So, I am confident that the suggested method will work. One thing to note is there is a specific sequence to disconnect the two wire connectors on the rear of the module. If you are planning to disconnect the connectors, please advise and I'll post the directions.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you again Gary!

Yes I'll have to disconnect the various connectors in order to bring the module for repairs on my desktop. So, please do describe the right procedure. Do I need to disconnect the battery too? Pull a fuse?

Also, when you say "pull/rotate" what exactly do you mean? How do I rotate?
Should I lift by the nickel trim instead of pulling straight out?

Dimi
Old 11-20-2010, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The Bentley Manual states to disconnect the left hand (center) connector first by pressing the retaining tabs. Then wait 30 seconds before disconnecting the right hand connector to protect the module electronics. By pull/rotating, I mean to pull on the lower edge, which will result in the module rotating about the upper edge until you can pull it out of the center panel. But as I noted for your '08, you may need to unclip the two top clips also, which will allow you to pull the module straight out.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A6Gary
Since you have an '08, the Bentley states that vehicles with production date beginning in 2006 have different clips that secure the module. If you can't pull it out as decribed above, the manual states to remove the center panel vent above it, then disengae the two top clips on the module using two small screwdrivers to remove the module.
Tried to pull the module but it didn't want to slide out. Admittedly I didn't dare to apply too much force but suppose I have the part with the clips, where do I find them?

Between the AC module and the center panel vent is another plastic 0.5" wide strip that accommodates the hazard button, the parking sensor button and maybe some other stuff. Are those clips situated between that strip and the module or between the strip and the vents? Do I have to remove the strip too?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I am a little reluctant applying too much pressure on delicate parts without knowing how they are put together...
Old 11-24-2010, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I fully understand your reluctance to not force that module out because of the potential to break the plastic retaining clips/frame. If there is one thing I dislike about the VAG cars is that they use plastic connectors or clips that secure things, but there is not very clear directions on how to disconnect these "clips" or connectors. And I have broken my fair share of these "clips" between the VWs and Audis that I have owned.

In reading the Bentley, your '08 has the upper clips that require depressing them using two small screwdrivers to remove the module. The manual states that there are two slots on the top edge for inserting the screwdrivers. But is also states that the center vert needs to removed for access. Removing the center vent is another series of steps that are not easily posted here. Since I don't have that module version in my '06, I can't provide first hand experience/knowledge to help you. Best advise I can give is to obtain the Bentley Repair Manual yourself so you'll be able to see the figures and read the directions directly.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am bring up this old thread to let you know guys how to do it.

I have downloaded the ELSA software which is invaluable when you are working on your car as it describes in detail all these procedures (in contrast to the Bentley manual...)

The first pdf file is the Climatronic removal and the second file is the central vent removal that have to be done in certain newer than 2006 models.

Happy New Year!
Dimitrios
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Climatronic_Removal_A6_C6.pdf (183.4 KB, 832 views)
File Type: pdf
CentralVentRemoval_A6_C6.pdf (127.6 KB, 646 views)