A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Active key v. Audi remote

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Active key v. Audi remote

Hi,

Now I have my A6 with "active key" and just got 2009 A3 quattro for my wife to drive around the city.
I really want to make one key to open both cars. from outside both key fob looks identical.

The issue is the key from A6 is "active key". Seems it has some sort of two way comunication with the car. e.g. when close to the car and pressed "unlock", the key fob blinks once. But when away from the car it blinks four times. Meaning it has receiver in key fob.
The A3 key fob always blinks once.
I have tried to program A6 key fob to open A3 but for no success.

Anyone has any pointers on what is going on in the A6 active key and if there is a chance to make A6 remote open simpler audi versions.

BTW, After driving A3 around, I have new appreciation to the all the little gadgets in the A6. Like the auto lights and auto dimming mirror and backup alarm, etc.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Prestige Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think there's a way to make one key open both cars.. immobilizers and such would probably get in the way. That's without even touching on the fact that one of the cars has advanced key and the other does not. Sorry man!
Old 09-22-2015, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by beep-beep
Hi,

Now I have my A6 with "active key" and just got 2009 A3 quattro for my wife to drive around the city.
I really want to make one key to open both cars. from outside both key fob looks identical.

The issue is the key from A6 is "active key". Seems it has some sort of two way comunication with the car. e.g. when close to the car and pressed "unlock", the key fob blinks once. But when away from the car it blinks four times. Meaning it has receiver in key fob.
The A3 key fob always blinks once.
I have tried to program A6 key fob to open A3 but for no success.

Anyone has any pointers on what is going on in the A6 active key and if there is a chance to make A6 remote open simpler audi versions.

BTW, After driving A3 around, I have new appreciation to the all the little gadgets in the A6. Like the auto lights and auto dimming mirror and backup alarm, etc.
The speed of the blinking tells you if the car is locked. If the light blinks 1x when you press the lock button then you are in range of the car and it just locked. If the light blinks about 4x slowly that means that you are out of range of the car but that the car was locked with the key you are holding. If the light blinks very quickly then you are out of range and your car is not locked.

The A6 key does communicate with the car and it is a rather complicated communication with multiple antenna's in the car which determine if the key is in or out of the car. Check out this link

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0Electrics.pdf

The key system is described starting on page 16. I would say that it is impossible to make two cars respond to the same key.