AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/)
-   -   Adaptive Headlight Error V318 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/adaptive-headlight-error-v318-2938298/)

pmanchu 12-06-2017 07:26 AM

Adaptive Headlight Error V318

Hi Everyone,

Newbie to the forum and Audi ownership. Just bought a 2008 A6 3.2 a few months ago (and 2013 Q7 in March).

I had been having issues with my right headlight (dimmed HID light, broken clips on igniter etc). So over the last 2 weeks, I first replaced the bulb, then the igniter and then the headlight cover. I resolved all my issues with my right headlight and when I turned the car on, I got this error:

1 Fault Found:
02627 - Dynamic Cornering Light Motor; Left (V318)
010 - Open or Short to Plus
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01001010
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 13
Mileage: 142591 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2017.12.05
Time: 18:37:18

I am totally flabbergasted. This error was not present until I completed my work on the right headlight (I ran a check 4 nights ago)

I tried resetting the error code with VCDS but it comes right back.

Is it just an unhappy coincidence that I would have an issue with my left headlight after completing work on my right headlight OR did my work on the right headlight somehow cause this?

Apparently, there is no disabling of the dynamic cornering feature nor can I find a fuse to pull, so I am now faced with potentially having to direct my attention to my left headlight :(

Any insight would be appreciated.

pmanchu 12-06-2017 09:16 AM

I should have mentioned that I have perused the various posts on this error and have tried to wrap my head around the issue as best as I can. Before I go-disassembling the left headlight assembly, I wanted to make sure that nothing I did on the right could have caused this.
So hoping someone would be able to advice if I could have done something on the Right headlight that could have caused this error with the Left headlight?

raj99 12-06-2017 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by pmanchu (Post 25078025)
Hi Everyone,

Newbie to the forum and Audi ownership. Just bought a 2008 A6 3.2 a few months ago (and 2013 Q7 in March).

I had been having issues with my right headlight (dimmed HID light, broken clips on igniter etc). So over the last 2 weeks, I first replaced the bulb, then the igniter and then the headlight cover. I resolved all my issues with my right headlight and when I turned the car on, I got this error:

1 Fault Found:
02627 - Dynamic Cornering Light Motor; Left (V318)
010 - Open or Short to Plus
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01001010
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 13
Mileage: 142591 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2017.12.05
Time: 18:37:18

I am totally flabbergasted. This error was not present until I completed my work on the right headlight (I ran a check 4 nights ago)

I tried resetting the error code with VCDS but it comes right back.

Is it just an unhappy coincidence that I would have an issue with my left headlight after completing work on my right headlight OR did my work on the right headlight somehow cause this?

Apparently, there is no disabling of the dynamic cornering feature nor can I find a fuse to pull, so I am now faced with potentially having to direct my attention to my left headlight :(

Any insight would be appreciated.

There's a wire which drives the motor used for adjustment and it tends to break. Here's a good thread on it:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...di-a6-2822961/

Also, here's a video on troubleshooting:

pmanchu 12-06-2017 07:19 PM

more info

Originally Posted by pmanchu (Post 25078074)
I should have mentioned that I have perused the various posts on this error and have tried to wrap my head around the issue as best as I can. Before I go-disassembling the left headlight assembly, I wanted to make sure that nothing I did on the right could have caused this.
So hoping someone would be able to advice if I could have done something on the Right headlight that could have caused this error with the Left headlight?

i couldn’t get over the fact that nothing was wrong before me touching the right side. So I went back to the right side today. I took off the new headlight cover and compared to the old one with broken clips. Although they are the same part number, they are not identical. The new one seems to have additional plastic reinforcement on the inside of the cover. It seems that this additional material could interfere with the AFS perhaps. I’m thinking that because the right headlight was being impeded, the left one could have moved beyond its limits.

I now now have a weird humming/grinding noise coming from the right headlight every time I reset the fault code although the right headlight generates more movement than the left when initializing. The fault v318 then swiftly returns.

Im gonna have to take a dreamer tool and clear out the new cover to allow for room but meanwhile the left error code persists. E

pmanchu 12-07-2017 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by pmanchu (Post 25078309)
i couldn’t get over the fact that nothing was wrong before me touching the right side. So I went back to the right side today. I took off the new headlight cover and compared to the old one with broken clips. Although they are the same part number, they are not identical. The new one seems to have additional plastic reinforcement on the inside of the cover. It seems that this additional material could interfere with the AFS perhaps. I’m thinking that because the right headlight was being impeded, the left one could have moved beyond its limits.

I now now have a weird humming/grinding noise coming from the right headlight every time I reset the fault code although the right headlight generates more movement than the left when initializing. The fault v318 then swiftly returns.

Im gonna have to take a dreamer tool and clear out the new cover to allow for room but meanwhile the left error code persists. E

Found a video on youtube with the same isue I am facing:

pmanchu 12-11-2017 07:10 PM

Issue resolved.

• Just but the bullet and took off bumper and left headlight.
  • After close inspection, found wire that was sheared. It was so perfectly sheared tha you couldn’t tell if was cut until you moved the wire.
  • Soldered in a piece of wire as a bridge and all is well now.
  • Great advice ice to be found on various threads here. Grateful for all the knowledge.
  • When putting the bumpers back on, couldn’t get the 10mm nut back on way inside the bumper. Will have to get some new nuts and try it again.