A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Adaptive lights question on 2005 Audi A6

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bballfreak
The inside of the headlamp for AFS is quite complicated.
I already sold my other 2 headlamps on ebay.
Cheers
Thanks for all the feedback. Bummer! I'll have to watch eBay, and if someone ends up with a repair to replace the passenger-side light, please let me know if you want to split.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, as stated previously I am having the adaptive failure but I also noticed that my right high beams is not working. The low beam works fine and the left high beam is working. However; I have no electronic indications that the right high beam is out. Can this the cause of the adaptive error? I realize the right high beam is out but the adative error from my Vag read out states left. But i am surprised there is no error code for having a high beam out. I assume to correct the high beam all I need to do is change the bulb?
Old 05-30-2012, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

The adaptive HID lights use the same bulb for low and high beam. In the low beam position there is a beam block which blocks the light from the top of the beam and generates that very sharp cutoff that you see. When you swtich to high beams the block is moved up and out of the way via a motor.

Since you seem to have two motor failures in the same headlight I would suspect a bad cable/connector since it would be rare for two motors to fail at the same time.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

well thats it; the left adaptive error is on, but the right high beam is gone.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Has anyone come up with a cause of the fault or know how to deactivate this function using Vagcom? The blinking yellow warning light is driving me crazy.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

There is no way to turn off that nagging sign showing.
I spoke with Ross Tech and many AUDI techs and they all said that there
is no way to turn it off.
I had to replace the whole headlamp which was internally defective for AFS.
The outside module was OK.
Good Luck
Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks; that really bites since its not a critical need for me. How did yo know it was the headlamp and not one of the controllers? May I ask how much the repair cost you?

I was just about to contact Ross-Teck to see if this would be a solution but i assume you did already;
Adaptation

Channel 020: Showroom Effect

After activating the showroom effect the dynamic cornering light at vehicle standstill can be demonstrated to the customer. The showroom effect remains active until the showroom effect is deactivated via the function program.
  • 0 = Disabled
  • 1 = Enabled
Channel 023: Tourist Solution

When driving in countries where driving is performed on the opposite side as in the native country the headlights must be changed over to avoid blinding the oncoming traffic.
  • 0 = Disabled
  • 1 = Enabled
Old 06-05-2012, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I talked to Ross Tech and they told me that there is no way to turn off the feature. Check the fuse and there are two possibilities for AFS not to work based on what
I was told.
1. AFS internall in the headlight is defective
2. AFS module mounted on the outside is defective
So, The VAGCOM diagnosis could not tell me which one as it only would
give me that AFS is defective and Ross Tech told me the same thing that it could not tell me which one.
So, I removed the bumper. Removed the headlamp that was working, removed the external AFS module and replaced on the defective headlamp.
And it still did not work.
So, it appeared that the module was not defective but the headlamp itself.
I also checked internally, if any wires were disconnected etc. and everything looked OK.
I paid like $295 per headlamp - new on ebay and I replaced both of them as I did not want one to look new and other one to look old.

Good Luck
Old 06-05-2012, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE class="cc abstand-kap einzug-standard"><TBODY><TR><TD class=titel-kap>Removing and installing left/right swivel module position sensor -G474-/-G475-</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD>The swivel module position sensor is located in the headlight housing beneath the gas discharge bulb and cannot be renewed separately in the event of a fault.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class="cc abstand-kap einzug-standard"><TBODY><TR><TD class=titel-kap>Removing and installing left/right headlight screen adjustment solenoid -N395-/-N396-</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD>The headlight screen adjustment solenoid is located in the headlight housing beneath the gas discharge bulb and cannot be renewed separately in the event of a fault.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class="cc abstand-kap einzug-standard"><TBODY><TR><TD class=titel-kap>Removing and installing dynamic cornering light control motor -V318-/-V319-</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD>The dynamic cornering light control motor is located in the headlight housing beneath the gas discharge bulb and cannot be renewed separately in the event of a fault.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old 06-10-2012, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

BBallfreak; sent you a email.

Quick Reply: Adaptive lights question on 2005 Audi A6