A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Air conditioning blasting hot air in side vents (vents 3) and rear vents

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air conditioning blasting hot air in side vents (vents 3) and rear vents

Hi - Done this drive many times in my 05 A6 3.2 with nothing but pure joy until I was driving through the mountains in West Virginia and Maryland yesterday...... the weather was about 52 degrees outside, and I was averaging about 80-85mph, when all of sudden, the side vents (according to manual, vents 3) and the rear started blastng hot air. The center console vents kept blowing about 63 degrees -- what the dual-control thermostats were set at, but the side vents and rear vents were ridiculously hot. The passenger in my car ran through every troubleshooting steps in the manual for about the next 20 minutes until the car on inside became unbearable.

I drove the car about 30 miles after the hot air blasts started to a gas station and then fueled up the vehicle, checked under the hood to see if we were leaking refrigerant, engine coolant, or if there were any funny smells - negagive on all counts. I turned the car back on and the air contditioning was back to normal for the remaing 140 miles that I drove.
There were no gauge indications or warnings/alerts that were tripped. Anyone have any flipping clue what happened???

Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving _S
Old 11-26-2009, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

search and you shall find
Old 11-27-2009, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Audi issued a TSB on this issue. Take a look at the TSB library that I set up with Dr. Cold and you will find it. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2765704
Old 11-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

KevinGary,
Thank you for the link, but I am unable to open it. Any other way to access the TSB that you recommend that I review? Thank you _ Sonny
The following users liked this post:
Karsten Stig (02-22-2021)
Old 11-30-2009, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sonnyfrommiami
Hi - Done this drive many times in my 05 A6 3.2 with nothing but pure joy until I was driving through the mountains in West Virginia and Maryland yesterday...... the weather was about 52 degrees outside, and I was averaging about 80-85mph, when all of sudden, the side vents (according to manual, vents 3) and the rear started blastng hot air. The center console vents kept blowing about 63 degrees -- what the dual-control thermostats were set at, but the side vents and rear vents were ridiculously hot. The passenger in my car ran through every troubleshooting steps in the manual for about the next 20 minutes until the car on inside became unbearable.

I drove the car about 30 miles after the hot air blasts started to a gas station and then fueled up the vehicle, checked under the hood to see if we were leaking refrigerant, engine coolant, or if there were any funny smells - negagive on all counts. I turned the car back on and the air contditioning was back to normal for the remaing 140 miles that I drove.
There were no gauge indications or warnings/alerts that were tripped. Anyone have any flipping clue what happened???

Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving _S
def TSB same problem not its cost me $700 since my car is out of warranty. parts 200 labor $500. lol.

hopefully its fixed.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Replacing pump valve unit

This took me 1.5 hours to replace the pump valve unit.
The part cost me $271. Disconnect 3 hoses and two electrical connectors.
It was not as difficult as I thought it to be.
This is for a 2005 Audi A6
Old 11-30-2009, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

not very difficult at all get some vice grips and gloves and youll be all set
Old 12-01-2009, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by sonnyfrommiami
KevinGary,
Thank you for the link, but I am unable to open it. Any other way to access the TSB that you recommend that I review? Thank you _ Sonny
I am not sure what the problem is since I can open the link. But I have attached the TSB. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the TSB -- really appreciate the help to all _ S
Old 03-04-2011, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi! Thanks for sharing your experiences with air conditioning. At least I got an idea that it's not only me who gives so much patience in fixing some air conditioning unit. nice post! Will surely tell my friends to visit the forum too.

Quick Reply: Air conditioning blasting hot air in side vents (vents 3) and rear vents