AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/)
-   -   Akebono Ceramics Anyone? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/akebono-ceramics-anyone-2876116/)

stuffinder 12-14-2014 12:57 PM

Akebono Ceramics Anyone?

While the brakes on my '06 A6 Avant are fine at the moment I plan on keeping it and barring the unforeseen will certainly need a pad & perhaps rotor replacement at some point. Coming from the Urs6 brakes & even '99 A6 Avant
the '06 brakes are much improved. I do fund them somewhat hard to modulate or grabby in 50's parlance! They also dust to the extreme. The car has stock pads/rotors. My INDY AUDI guy whose opinion I value greatly does not like ceramics, feeling they're generally down on stopping power compared to stock. The dusting is a minor issue but I would like something that is easier to modulate. Has anyone one tried Akebono's or other ceramics? If so what are the results? TIA

uberwgn 12-14-2014 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by stuffinder (Post 24634566)

My indie Audi guy whose opinion I value greatly does not like ceramics, feeling they're generally down on stopping power compared to stock. The dusting is a minor issue but I would like something that is easier to modulate. Has anyone one tried Akebono's or other ceramics?

Stuff, we had the Akebono ceramic pads in the front end of our C6 A6 wagon. Results were mixed. I would not and did not repeat them when it was time for brakes a few months ago. Reggie has been suggesting the Centric PosiQuiet pads and that's what we fitted at all four corners. While they're not as clean as the Akebono, stopping power is vastly improved. I would say you could probably go two weeks without cleaning the wheels. Brake dust is fairly light. Much lighter than the Aud OE pad.

I'm removing the ceramic pads from our other Audis. Braking is really disappointing with them, bordering on dangerous. Our '15 Q5 has ceramic pads. It barely stops...you've really got to pay attention.

raj99 12-14-2014 01:46 PM

I'm a huge fan of Akebono pads since the days of my C5. My current C6 4.2 has brembo rotors with akebonos and here are my thoughts:
Significantly less dust
Equivalent or better stopping

There are no cons I've noticed in relation to factory OEM pads and I will gladly buy akebono products again

cnyman 12-14-2014 03:26 PM

Hi,
I have them on my C6 A6 and my A3. Stopping power I would say 10% decrease with same pedal force. Modulation wise, much easier to keep a smooth deceleration with no "grabbiness" at any point. If you drive the car hard, you will miss the ability to really pull the car down from high speed repeatedly with moderate pedal input. They won't fade, but you will have to push harder than with semi metallic. They are virtually dustless. No kidding, the rest of the car will get dirty, faster than the wheels. I found them a great fit for the A6 as the OE were very grabby and ridiculously dusty. Same with the A3. They are daily drivers not driven to the limit of their capabilities.

skizz 12-14-2014 05:31 PM

Akebono eur840

I just bought akebono eur840 brakes for my s4 b5. Now if I could just figure out how to get them in. It's a two piston brake system, but these pads won't reach both pistons. Anyone have any idea how to get this done?

stuffinder 12-15-2014 04:28 AM

Thanks for all the input! Since panic stop/deer avoidance situations are not uncommon here
in the woods of Central NY I guess I'll stick with stock. I occasionally drive at relatively high speeds on rural secondary roads as well so fading is undesirable as wel. Thanks,

Robert Schirmer 12-15-2014 04:53 AM

I have had the Akebonos in for 4(?) years and have found no difference with stopping ability. I do take the wife's a6 to Chicago occasionally and get to drive like a mad man in that traffic and they worked great. No deer either. I will put them in the next Audi. The only bad thing it the time I saved on cleaning rims is used for other honey do list stuff!!

Bob

The_Mizarc 12-15-2014 12:42 PM

I've also used the akebono pads for a couple years and like them. In my opinion the gains had in not dealing with brake dust outweigh the "perceived loss" in friction. Besides if it only requires a bit more pedal force as an adjustment to your driving style then why not? Realistically how often will that need for more friction come into play on a road going car?

typhoon1 12-15-2014 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by skizz (Post 24634631)
I just bought akebono eur840 brakes for my s4 b5. Now if I could just figure out how to get them in. It's a two piston brake system, but these pads won't reach both pistons. Anyone have any idea how to get this done?

Sounds like you have the wrong pads???

am_ver 12-15-2014 07:18 PM

Use them in the front and rear - never plan to go back to stock.