AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/)
-   -   Another brake pad question (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/another-brake-pad-question-2798889/)

NR04 01-21-2011 07:30 AM

Another brake pad question

I'm sick and tired of looking at dirty rims and decided to replace my OEM pads. After doing some extensive research, I've narrowed it down to Hawk HPS and Akebono Euro Ceramics. Most people seem to agree that Hawk Ceramics lack the stopping power.

The consensus seems to be that Hawk HPS stops really well and Akebono produces the least amount of dust. However, there seems to be mixed feelings about noise and dust production from Hawk HPS and stopping power from Akebonos. My question to anyone other there with either of these pads are:

1) Hawk HPS: How does the dust compare to OEM?
2) Akebono Euro: How does the stoppping power compare to OEM?

Thanks in advance for your input.

MainlandMig 01-21-2011 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by NR04 (Post 24093484)

1) Hawk HPS: How does the dust compare to OEM?
2) Akebono Euro: How does the stoppping power compare to OEM?

well put question. last month i was facing the same thing. I asked myself which is more important... least dust or highest braking performance. I have a 4.2 A6 (not a light veh and i sided on braking power. i figured w these i would still get moderate (not ultimate) improvement to my current dust situation

I went w HPS should have them installed this week.

audi01a6 01-21-2011 08:45 AM

hawk pads some dirt but not like stock,

gk1 01-21-2011 12:40 PM

I have had both...

Although the HPS I had on my old B5 S4.

They were comparable to OEM stopping power and less dust more light grey than black. After a few thousand miles I did develop an occasional bus-like brake squeal but I cannot for certain blame the pads and a wash generally remedied it for a while.

I just recently installed the Akebono Euro's on my C6 and I am still within the first few hundred miles so they are not fully bedded in just yet. However I feel stopping is equivalent to OEM and so far brake dust is non-existent, but as I said it may be too early to make a final analysis just yet.

NR04 01-24-2011 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by gk1 (Post 24093713)
Although the HPS I had on my old B5 S4.

They were comparable to OEM stopping power and less dust more light grey than black. After a few thousand miles I did develop an occasional bus-like brake squeal but I cannot for certain blame the pads and a wash generally remedied it for a while.

I just recently installed the Akebono Euro's on my C6 and I am still within the first few hundred miles so they are not fully bedded in just yet. However I feel stopping is equivalent to OEM and so far brake dust is non-existent, but as I said it may be too early to make a final analysis just yet.

Great feedback. I think I'll take the chance on Akebonos.