A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Any idea what this weird sound is when opening drivers door??

Old 04-08-2018, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Any idea what this weird sound is when opening drivers door??

After the car has sat for a while (gone to sleep I will call it) and I open the drivers door, I will hear this weird groan. Sometimes it’s even worse than this. There are a lot of clicking sounds in the video at the beginning. That is the door handle but you will be able to hear the distinct groan. It sounds like it’s coming from the front of the car under the hood. My friend said it is coming from the back. I think it is both but the groan is coming from the front I believe. Maybe it’s the headlight motor??? My 2014 Mercedes makes a sound from the trunk when I open ANY door so maybe it’s a German thing? This car only does this when opening the drivers door and only after it has sat for a while.

Any thoughts? Would really like to get rid of this weird sound. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 323 Likes on 272 Posts

I have it too. I always thought it was something normal. Yours is even briefer. Mine makes the noise a little longer.
Must be a mechanical process possibly supposed to getting the vehicle ready to be started and driven, which is triggered when the driver's door is opened.
What specific mechanical process, I have no idea
Old 04-10-2018, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow. That’s interesting. I wonder how many others have it too. Please chime in everyone.

Mine can be worse than that also. That was a mild one. Kinda embarrassing though when you have someone with you and your car growls like that.

Maybe its the headlight leveling system that’s in the wheel well area?? I’m determined to find it and make it stop. A little help from those in this forum would certainly be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

The fuel pump comes on and pressurizes the the system prior to starting when the drivers door is opened. Normal. A worn pump could get loud however.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 323 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by akingzkid
Maybe its the headlight leveling system that’s in the wheel well area?? I’m determined to find it and make it stop. A little help from those in this forum would certainly be helpful and appreciated.
Definitely not the headlight leveling system. I have a similar noise with my passenger side's headlight which horizontal adjustment mechanism has failed because the back cover was not properly shut and humidity got in there too much. The noise sounds only when the ignition is turned on. Not when I open the door. Vertical check passes but horizontal check fails with a brief noise and the chime and warning on the dashboard. And FYI the leveling and cornering systems are not in the wheel well but are integrated into the headlight assembly itself.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Prestige Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
The fuel pump comes on and pressurizes the the system prior to starting when the drivers door is opened. Normal. A worn pump could get loud however.
x2 It's definitely the fuel pump priming, totally normal.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Hey, my name is J. Patterson too by the way. LOL. That's pretty cool.

That would explain the noise coming from the rear of the car but not this noise in the front. That is probably what is causing the noise in my Benz also. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by akingzkid
Hey, my name is J. Patterson too by the way. LOL. That's pretty cool.

That would explain the noise coming from the rear of the car but not this noise in the front. That is probably what is causing the noise in my Benz also. Thanks for the feedback.
It's definitely the fuel pump. I recently heard of a situation where the guy's car wouldn't start with the push button, but it would if he put the key in and let it prime the pump longer.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree with you that the sound from the back of the car is the fuel pump. However, what you are hearing in this video is NOT coming from the back of the car. It is coming from the front. I will try to record it when it is pretty loud and more prolonged. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

That's a weird noise. My car doesn't do it and I agree with you it doesn't sound much like a fuel pump. There is a whine in your video which is likely to be the fuel pump, but the graunching sound reminds me of a stiff solenoid.

Hope you update the thread if you discover the cause.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any idea what this weird sound is when opening drivers door??