A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Any idea what this weird sound is when opening drivers door??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Updated video

Ok gentlemen. I was finally able to get a video of the actual sound. The previous video I posted was mild.

This video is what it sounds like most of the time. This is definitely from the front of the car. Maybe driver side headlight internals? Don’t think this is the fuel pump unless that is connected to something under the front hood. And if so, should not be this obnoxious sounding.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Golly. That thing is haunted! Wish I could help. Never heard anything like that. AFAIK the only things that happen when the drivers door is opened are, The fuel pump pressurized the injectors, the MMI wakes up, and the interior lights come on. None of these make THAT noise.

Try pulling the fuse to the fuel pump and see if it still makes the noise.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 278 Posts

I just did a quick research and I found out that there is this thing called High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) located in front of the engine. Must be it. That explains everything.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Golly. That thing is haunted! Wish I could help. Never heard anything like that. AFAIK the only things that happen when the drivers door is opened are, The fuel pump pressurized the injectors, the MMI wakes up, and the interior lights come on. None of these make THAT noise.

Try pulling the fuse to the fuel pump and see if it still makes the noise.
ok. Will do. That’s for the tip.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
I just did a quick research and I found out that there is this thing called High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) located in front of the engine. Must be it. That explains everything.
Thanks. I will look into it.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Prestige Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kelisko
The HPFP is a cam-driven pump, so there's no way to prime it without the camshaft turning. The low pressure electric pump does pre-charge the fuel system by 30PSI when the drivers door is opened, that's the only thing I can think of that you're hearing. Even though the low pressure pump is located in the fuel tank, it would make sense that you can hear the lines in the engine bay pressurizing after the vehicle sits overnight.

I agree the noise your hearing is a bit loud, maybe there's some sort of pinhole leak that's making your low pressure pump work harder to pressurize the lines when pre-charging.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by mikerouze
The HPFP is a cam-driven pump, so there's no way to prime it without the camshaft turning. The low pressure electric pump does pre-charge the fuel system by 30PSI when the drivers door is opened, that's the only thing I can think of that you're hearing. Even though the low pressure pump is located in the fuel tank, it would make sense that you can hear the lines in the engine bay pressurizing after the vehicle sits overnight.

I agree the noise your hearing is a bit loud, maybe there's some sort of pinhole leak that's making your low pressure pump work harder to pressurize the lines when pre-charging.

Interesting!