A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Attention C6 Owners experiencing oil leaks from timing chain cover gasket!

Old 04-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Datboi
yeah the rear of the engine is called the (rear cam covers) those are a bit harder, but can be done without having to pull the motor. I just fixed mine myself, where are you located huffy15? bring over a 6 pack of some craft beer
ahah yes you got the right word. I'm from Montreal, qc. I'm pretty far from the states however. I'll appreciate some help of course. I usually do it myself, but I just want to use the right sealing stuff to make sure it wont leak again.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do you guys see the leak?

My wife is complaining that her 2006 A6 sometimes has a burning oil smell after having been driven for a while.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

On the 3.2 do the valve cover gaskets come as a kit? I've seen some that supply valley seals and spark plug seals, not sure if they are for the 3.2. I would hate to tear it apart and find out that there more parts needed. Also what aftermarket sealer should we use and where does it get supplied? Thanks
Old 07-18-2014, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

In checking www.genuineaudiparts.com, the valve cover gaskets ($18.60 ea) are not a set (Note: there are left and right gaskets). You will also need the gasket for the spark plugs holes on each bank. Per the Bentley Repair Manual, there is no sealant used for the valve cover gaskets.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A6Gary
In checking www.genuineaudiparts.com, the valve cover gaskets ($18.60 ea) are not a set (Note: there are left and right gaskets). You will also need the gasket for the spark plugs holes on each bank. Per the Bentley Repair Manual, there is no sealant used for the valve cover gaskets.
There are no gaskets for the timing chain covers at the rear of the engine, you just need rtv sealant. If you're talking about the intake valve covers on the top of the engine then that's not where it would leak oil. That's the air intake.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have this problem too, on the left side at the rear there is a thick coating of oil and dirt on the top of the rear timing cover and the bottom of the oil filter housing, I always thought it was coming from the oil filter. I also had some smoke but it was the VC gasket, an easy fix, the 3.2 does not need separate spark plug gaskets, just the VC gasket. If anyone could do a tutorial for the "engine in" fix for this it would be great. As far as tightening the rear cover to slow down the leak, it might work because it's an RTV gasket but if you tighten a hard, brittle VC gasket it might make it worse (it did for me). I too mentioned this oily residue to the dealer while still under warranty and got the "normal to have some" answer.

Last edited by Tanket; 07-26-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Costasz
My wife is complaining that her 2006 A6 sometimes has a burning oil smell after having been driven for a while.
Same with mine, especially in the garage. I changed the valve cover gaskets and still smelled it. Now it's in the shop all week for the rear cam seals (2nd time this was done). It was done once at 42,000 miles and now again at 83,000 miles.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REAR timing cover reseal

Anyone have tutorial DIY on our A6's ? I would like to tackle this job ASAP.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by !staudi35
Anyone have tutorial DIY on our A6's ? I would like to tackle this job ASAP.
You should realize that changing the rear timing chain cover gaskets requires the engine to be removed from the vehicle, or at the very least the tranny to be dropped so you can gain access. It's a very labor intensive job and I'd recommend you read through the recent threads re chain guides. Good luck 🍀
Old 12-04-2014, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raj99
You should realize that changing the rear timing chain cover gaskets requires the engine to be removed from the vehicle, or at the very least the tranny to be dropped so you can gain access. It's a very labor intensive job and I'd recommend you read through the recent threads re chain guides. Good luck 🍀
Incorrect. You need a stubby ratchet, small hands and a lot of patience. The driver's side is harder than the passenger side.
The following users liked this post:
Feri (05-28-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Attention C6 Owners experiencing oil leaks from timing chain cover gasket!