A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Attention C6 Owners experiencing oil leaks from timing chain cover gasket!

Old 10-24-2016, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by martywindham01@gmail.com
MY WIFES 05 A6 3.2 HAS THE SAME ISSUE. TOOK ME FOREVER TO FIND IT.
I INITIALLY THOUGHT IT WAS VALVE COVER BECAUSE OIL WAS ALL OVER THE PLACE. DONT KNOW HOW LONG ITS BEEN GOING ON BECAUSE THE BOTTOM AERO CAUGHT MOST OF IT. YOU CAN REPLACE IT YOUR SELF HOWEVER IT IS NOT A WEEKEND JOB. I WAS REPLACING THE EXHAUST AND SPOTTED MINE. I JUST WENT AHEAD AND REPLACED THEM. WATCH YOUR KNUCKLES ON THIS ONE FOLKS! ONLY COST YOU A FEW DOLLARS AND TIME. NOT 3 OR 4 Gs.
Stop shouting.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am draining the oil in my a6 and refilling with 6.9 quarts of Lucas stop leak! That'll fix her right up! Now more leaks!
Old 01-28-2017, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by joegolden481
I am draining the oil in my a6 and refilling with 6.9 quarts of Lucas stop leak! That'll fix her right up! Now more leaks!
Yeah sure it will.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Gotta love the snake oils! Lol. Here's the crazy thing . That stuff actually worked in my old 93 lexus ls400 for yrs. those early gens had a common problem in the variable steering system that would cause them to leak completely dry daily. Talk about a pain. I used some of that Lucas power steering stop leak in it and after a few pints of it the darn thing almost quit leaking. Enough to where I topped off monthly instead of daily. I miss that car. Had 386k on it when I sold it back in 12. Guy still drives it.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by joegolden481
Gotta love the snake oils! Lol. Here's the crazy thing . That stuff actually worked in my old 93 lexus ls400 for yrs. those early gens had a common problem in the variable steering system that would cause them to leak completely dry daily. Talk about a pain. I used some of that Lucas power steering stop leak in it and after a few pints of it the darn thing almost quit leaking. Enough to where I topped off monthly instead of daily. I miss that car. Had 386k on it when I sold it back in 12. Guy still drives it.
Magic elixirs and snake oils exist in fairy tales and in myth...the only way to fix oil leaks is to determine the parts which are impacting the leak(s) and change them out.

Yeah, it's not always easy, but it's the only known way to actual solve the problem. FWIW, there are always the usual suspects: valve covers, oil cooler, oil filter housing, etc.

I'd recommend removing the bellypan, power washing the engine, from underneath - with it running, and then driving it around the block a few times. Get the car back on the lift and then take a look at where the oil is seeping from. Also, the use of a dye can be beneficial when doing this kind of troubleshooting. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thx this is my plan of action tomorrow when I get to the shop..
Old 02-12-2018, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AlteredEgo79
I currently have a case in with AOA regarding an oil leak concern. It has been an issue for me for the last 80k miles in which I have been noticing oil residual all over the bottom of the undercarriage and bottom engine cover. On multiple visits I addressed this concern to the dealers and for the most part I was told that what I was seeing was just residual (bunch of BS) however the actual cause was just detected. All the oil has been coming from the rear timing chain cover gaskets and all this time I was always told from the dealers that there was no leaks found. Big problem is that most of us are outside of out warranty and stuck with a rather large repair of around $3 - $4k (primarily labor time of dropping engine and tranny). There is a good chance our 3.2L engines may have a design flaw. At this point Im still waiting to hear back from AOA on how they want to procede with my case. In the meantime any of you who have the 3.2L engine who have or are currently experiencing this same issue, please give your feedback and note your concern. Audi may have been hiding a huge repair that should have been recalled. And its my best guess that since this leaking of oil is not necessarily a "safety" concern they never went forward with a recall because it would involve a lot of repairs and a lot of money out of their pocket.

Hit me up guys.

Thanks
Mine has 177k miles and it leaks half qt.a week. Yeah what can I expect? I heard the bottom valve covers leak. I never heard of bottom valve covers?? Anyway I have to just deal with it. It's worth maybe 4 grand? It's an 05. So I'm surely not having the engine pulled. My solution is to never buy a VW or Audi again
I've stuck 15k grand in to this POS already

Last edited by Witchhunt; 02-12-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it required to disconnect the battery or any fuses for the procedure of resealing upper chain covers ? Do I need to drain the oil ? I'm asking about the procedure from the youtube video above without removing the engine/transmission. Thanks !
Old 02-15-2018, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Prestige Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No offense intended

Originally Posted by Witchhunt
My solution is to never buy a VW or Audi again
I've stuck 15k grand in to this POS already
Perhaps you may be a better fit for a Lexus? As these cars get older they do require work, it's much easier to keep expenses down if you are mechanically inclined and able to DIY. That seems like an awful lot of money to put into a 13 year old german vehicle that has 177K miles..
Old 02-15-2018, 03:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mikerouze
Perhaps you may be a better fit for a Lexus? As these cars get older they do require work, it's much easier to keep expenses down if you are mechanically inclined and able to DIY. That seems like an awful lot of money to put into a 13 year old german vehicle that has 177K miles..
you hit that on the head. I could by 2 Lexus for the price of a set of control arms for my 3.2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Attention C6 Owners experiencing oil leaks from timing chain cover gasket!