A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Attention C6 Owners experiencing oil leaks from timing chain cover gasket!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Witchhunt
you hit that on the head. I could by 2 Lexus for the price of a set of control arms for my 3.2
My Dad car has 220 mile on his 99 E320 and only changes the oil? Never touched any fluid other than oil. He's just a 84 year old hard headed guy. The body is falling apart living in Wisconsin but the engine sounds brand new. So it's not German cars. I apologize. It's V/W Audi. Biggest car scam ever perpetrated in history and people still buy these? Wow good luck
Old 06-09-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I currently have the timing cover off and didnt have to drop the transmission

I'm working on this now
Old 06-11-2018, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm guessing that's a photo of the cover ready to go back on with sealant? Which sealant did you use?
Old 03-14-2019, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default oil leak on the Audi A6.

Originally Posted by AlteredEgo79
I currently have a case in with AOA regarding an oil leak concern. It has been an issue for me for the last 80k miles in which I have been noticing oil residual all over the bottom of the undercarriage and bottom engine cover. On multiple visits I addressed this concern to the dealers and for the most part I was told that what I was seeing was just residual (bunch of BS) however the actual cause was just detected. All the oil has been coming from the rear timing chain cover gaskets and all this time I was always told from the dealers that there was no leaks found. Big problem is that most of us are outside of out warranty and stuck with a rather large repair of around $3 - $4k (primarily labor time of dropping engine and tranny). There is a good chance our 3.2L engines may have a design flaw. At this point Im still waiting to hear back from AOA on how they want to procede with my case. In the meantime any of you who have the 3.2L engine who have or are currently experiencing this same issue, please give your feedback and note your concern. Audi may have been hiding a huge repair that should have been recalled. And its my best guess that since this leaking of oil is not necessarily a "safety" concern they never went forward with a recall because it would involve a lot of repairs and a lot of money out of their pocket.

Hit me up guys.

Thanks
hello, trying to reply to your thread regarding the oil leak ok the Audi 3.2 engine
Is it the upper or lower timing cover?
Old 03-15-2019, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I beleive it was the upper timing chain cover.
Originally Posted by Rich Hooker

hello, trying to reply to your thread regarding the oil leak ok the Audi 3.2 engine
Is it the upper or lower timing cover?
Old 03-15-2019, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Sheesh.

I just did both side upper timing chain covers on a 2006 a6 with the 3.2. Took about 2.5hours to do both sides and that included all the cleaning so there was no residual oil left so I could double check my work once completed. Parts cost 12$ for a tube of high temp oil seal RTV silicone. Total at a shop should be 3 hours labor max with 20$ in sealant. 100%
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=AlteredEgo79;25289627]
Old 03-16-2019, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thats great to hear, nice to save some money. If I recall I was told by dealer that the upper timing chain cover leak involved alot of hours inc removal of the engine. Maybe they were blowing smoke up my behind. Glad this repair of yours was cost effective. Good Luck with your Audi QUOTE=Rich Hooker;25289963]
I just did both side upper timing chain covers on a 2006 a6 with the 3.2. Took about 2.5hours to do both sides and that included all the cleaning so there was no residual oil left so I could double check my work once completed. Parts cost 12$ for a tube of high temp oil seal RTV silicone. Total at a shop should be 3 hours labor max with 20$ in sealant. 100%
[/QUOTE]

Old 03-16-2019, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thats great to hear, nice to save some money. If I recall I was told by dealer that the upper timing chain cover leak involved alot of hours inc removal of the engine. Maybe they were blowing smoke up my behind. Glad this repair of yours was cost effective. Good Luck with your Audi QUOTE=Rich Hooker;25289963]
[/QUOTE]

Old 03-16-2019, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am a long time VW/AUDI tech I work at a shop servicing German cars. Just wanted to give you a heads up. If you need me to call the shop and remind them of the procedure for upper timing chain/cam seals, let me know

[/QUOTE]

Old 03-18-2019, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thats great to hear, nice to save some money. If I recall I was told by dealer that the upper timing chain cover leak involved alot of hours inc removal of the engine. Maybe they were blowing smoke up my behind. Glad this repair of yours was cost effective. Good Luck with your Audi

Absolutely blowing smoke. I did this on both of my previous 3.2 equipped Audis (A6 and A4). Its really not that hard, but rather, more time consuming because of the tight working space. The job itself doesn't involve all that much other than removal of both covers, cleanup, and reapplication.