A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Audi A6 2006 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 2006 headlights

Hello, I have a 2006 Audi a6 3.2 with old headlights. The drivers side headlight is even busted. I was looking at getting new OEM ones but I have noticed some of the same model A6's have HID headlights but mine has the halogen headlights. So I am wondering if anyone knows if the HID headlights will work and fit on my car without any problems or if i should stick with the halogen lights. Thank you
Old 09-28-2017, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

fitment will be fine, but you should get the vagcom cable to do the recoding of module to tell that its hid.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by martinz.zz
Hello, I have a 2006 Audi a6 3.2 with old headlights. The drivers side headlight is even busted. I was looking at getting new OEM ones but I have noticed some of the same model A6's have HID headlights but mine has the halogen headlights. So I am wondering if anyone knows if the HID headlights will work and fit on my car without any problems or if i should stick with the halogen lights. Thank you
I have the same model as you. If you search I'm sure you will find it is possible to install factory HID lights in your car, but they aren't cheap. And there is some programming, wiring harness work that must be done.

I replaced mine with aftermarket lens and 3rd party HID light kit. I couldn't be happier with the setup. The cutoff is great so oncoming cars aren't blinded, the lights are bright so much better than before.

These are from SPYDER AUTO.

Note: They come with HALOGEN BULBS, You will need to buy a HID kit (with bulbs and ballast) to complete the upgrade. But they just plug and play.
The following users liked this post:
Dacalm01 (11-20-2023)
Old 11-07-2017, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Replaced Lenses

I was having issues with my lights and took them out to find that the coating on the wiring had pretty much fell off just about every wire. I worked on first light by replacing wires and using heat shrink and it took a while to complete. I then purchased some liquid tape and separated and sprayed all the wires and this worked like a charm. While I had the lights off the vehicle, I decided to search for some replacement lenses and found some for around $60. I used a heat gun and a chisel and patiently removed the old lenses and replaced them. I will post pictures later. I would suggest doing this and save a couple hundred dollars.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Pictures

Originally Posted by Freeze29
I was having issues with my lights and took them out to find that the coating on the wiring had pretty much fell off just about every wire. I worked on first light by replacing wires and using heat shrink and it took a while to complete. I then purchased some liquid tape and separated and sprayed all the wires and this worked like a charm. While I had the lights off the vehicle, I decided to search for some replacement lenses and found some for around $60. I used a heat gun and a chisel and patiently removed the old lenses and replaced them. I will post pictures later. I would suggest doing this and save a couple hundred dollars.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Freeze29
Where did you find the replacement lenses?
Old 11-09-2017, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've used the polish kits numerous times with them fogging up again within 6 months or so. I sanded the lights this time down to 2k grit (started with 150 grit sponges) and applied a 2 part clear coat (spray can) and they turned out great and show no signs of changing 6 months later. The cheapest OE HID lights I found online from a dealer were ~$600 / side. I recommend pulling the head lights off the car if doing the sanding / clear coating so you can get all the edges.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by martinz.zz
Where did you find the replacement lenses?
You can get them on eBay. Just search for 2006 Audi A6 lens.
Old 11-20-2023, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Newer headlights

I noticed Daczone replied and said he chnaged his light over to the spyder. I thought it wasnt possible so i bought regular headlights off ebay. Now can i just simply purchase the spyder headlights off the website and what else would i need so that i can make that great transformation?