A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Audi A6 avant 2006 mmi update

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 avant 2006 mmi update

Can some one please help me locate a update for the mmi software everything works but I’ve been trying to play my own music in my car and the current version only lets me Bluetooth for calls I went to the dealer but they said the car was to old to update
Old 03-03-2018, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am pretty sure that in your car the Bluetooth is only for the phone and you can't play music.

I actually just purchased a 2006 A6 Avant and am researching options as I am in the same boat.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I did to my 2006 A6 C6 Avant to get my music to play.
1, Update your MMI software. I found someone on ebay in the States that made his own discs. I just checked ebay again and he's no longer there. There are a few places outside the US that sells the update discs, ranging from about $18 to $50. Once completed, your A6 will be able to read MP3 files via your CD player.
2. I found a used AMI unit online and replaced my CD changer with that. You can also put the AMI in-line with the changer, but it requires an additional cable. The AMI has a single port on the front that lets you plug in, 1. An iPod/iPhone with the proper cable, or 2. A Bluetooth module/cable, 3. A USB flash drive (or HD) with the proper cable, or 4. A mini-jack that lets you plug in an Android phone or other device that uses that type of connector. I also believe you can get the proper cable that combines a couple of the above (iPOD & mini-jack, etc. - search on AMI cable).
3. I used the USB cable and connected a 32gb flash drive to it, stored in the glove box, where the AMI resides. By hitting the CD button on the console, I have access to all of my music thru the MMI. The MMI still recognizes my Android phone for calling and receiving calls, but it doesn't do anything for streaming music from the phone. You need option #2 above for that.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your updates!
The following users liked this post:
Feri (09-27-2020)
Old 03-05-2018, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

That is good to know.

I found someone on Ebay with the discs for the MMI software in the US who also offers some sort of support and I also ordered a 2015/2016 NAV disc from another ebay seller.

Do you have any idea of the part number for the AMI unit that you purchased ?
Old 03-06-2018, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's a link to one for sale on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-A6-C6-....c100677.m4598

Good luck with the AMI upgrade, too. It took me all of 15 minutes, at most, to replace the CD changer with this unit. If you opt to keep your changer, then it'll take a little while longer, finagling the AMI into place and fishing the cables.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you.

I may have found one locally for much less but the part number is: 4E0 035 785 B

I think that this version (B Version) should work but would really like it if someone could confirm.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

You'll be fine with that one. The important part is the number (4E0 035 785), with the following letter to denote later models. I got an "F" model, which means it came out of a newer car than my 2006.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you once again.

I think I lucked out at $104.00.

I just hope it works.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks ofr all of your help.

Can you recommend a source for the cable ?

There seem to be many for sale, but all have some sort of bad reviews -- mostly from people that have purchased the USB cable thinking they could plug their iphone in and it would work. I am fine plugging in a USB drive.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, if people have trouble (and, hence, a bad review) with making a device work when they have the wrong cable, then all I can say is, they don't know the difference to begin with. You can find the AMI USB cable on ebay or Amazon all day long. I paid around $12 for mine and it worked immediately. I do understand that there are cheap knockoffs out there that can have trouble connecting. I always read the reviews and make my decision based on how well the product performs when used for the purpose for which it was intended. Ignore those bad reviews when the user clearly doesn't know what in hell they're doing. Don't just buy the cheapest version you can find, either. Valid reviews are what make my purchasing decisions.
Good luck and let us know how your conversion works out for you.

Quick Reply: Audi A6 avant 2006 mmi update