A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-22-2016, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Audi Wheel Bolt. How much torque?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Audi a6 3.0t quattro c7 front brakes torque for caliber and support

Any info/
thanks
Old 10-30-2017, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by QURRACI
Any info/
thanks
Yes, lots of info...but you are posting on the C6 forum and your car is a 2016 A6, which is a C7 platform.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, I have the problem of not being able to loosen any of the 5 wheel nuts on my A6C6. I've tried every tool I have and they won't budge. I can't imagine some frikin' @ss hole overtightenting to some imaginary spec, how are you supposed to change the tire on the road? I'm using the lug iron and a 31 inch pipe for added leverage (counter clockwise) and it won't turn.

31 inch pipe and jack lug wrench won't budge any nut to open
See my pic.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

You only need to tighten to one quarter turn past tight. Anyone saying tighter is blowin it out their back side. Ask them how many times they've lost a bolt or wheel and they'll say never - it never happens.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jimjpublic
Guys, I have the problem of not being able to loosen any of the 5 wheel nuts on my A6C6. I've tried every tool I have and they won't budge. I can't imagine some frikin' @ss hole overtightenting to some imaginary spec, how are you supposed to change the tire on the road? I'm using the lug iron and a 31 inch pipe for added leverage (counter clockwise) and it won't turn.

See my pic.

I would use convention tools with a six point socket instead of the factory tool.

I would put the tool on the other side of the wheel and pull up instead of pushing down. Most people can pull up with more energy than you can push down as that is limited by your weight.

If you don't have the proper tools you can be very careful not to allow the factory tool to slip and damage the bolt. Once that happens the head of the bolt starts becoming compromised and then the ability to get it off even with the proper tools is suspect.

Of course another option is to put air in the tire.... assuming it will hold air for a period of time... and drive to a garage that has good sockets and an impact gun and ask them to just break them loose and then hand tighten them until you get back home to remove the wheel yourself.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jimjpublic

See my pic.
Try standing on it. Seriously.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks - this is good advice.

I probably sounded angry on this thread. Frustrated. Personally, I feel if you are using pneumatics or torques on wheel nuts, you're noobishly doing it wrong. It's not necessary. What law of physics would be at play to untwist and push off 5 nuts tightened to only 40 lbs? Use your heads people.

I have run flats, so I'll make it to the tire store.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by landjb4u
Try standing on it. Seriously.

I've seen more people injured from slipping off the handle or the wrench coming loose and then the person falling, than successful attempts.

If he weighs 200 pounds and the bar is 31 inches long and he stands somewhere around the 24 inch mark then he's putting 400 pounds of pressure on the bolt. if he could stand all the way at the end of the bar it would be 500 pounds of force. Taking that same 200 pounds and applying it all the way at the end let's say at 30 inches (for simple math). Assuming he can lift (with his legs) one and a half times his weight then he's applying 300 pounds of force by lifting and then a factor of two and and a half feet of leverage for a total of 750 pounds. And that's a much more controllable action than standing on a round pipe.

As a side note to the OP. If you go to the garage to have them loosen the bolts, you may want them to loose the other wheels while you are there.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewmr
I've seen more people injured from slipping off the handle or the wrench coming loose and then the person falling, than successful attempts.

If he weighs 200 pounds and the bar is 31 inches long and he stands somewhere around the 24 inch mark then he's putting 400 pounds of pressure on the bolt. if he could stand all the way at the end of the bar it would be 500 pounds of force. Taking that same 200 pounds and applying it all the way at the end let's say at 30 inches (for simple math). Assuming he can lift (with his legs) one and a half times his weight then he's applying 300 pounds of force by lifting and then a factor of two and and a half feet of leverage for a total of 750 pounds. And that's a much more controllable action than standing on a round pipe.

As a side note to the OP. If you go to the garage to have them loosen the bolts, you may want them to loose the other wheels while you are there.
I put one foot on the bar with the other on the ground. Never have both feet on the bar. Transfer my weight to move the works. Then call AAA if that doesn't work
Old 06-03-2018, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Haha, you guys made me laugh with your calculations.

I did try standing on it.

Quick Reply: Audi Wheel Bolt. How much torque?