AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/)
-   -   Brake Pads - Northern NJ (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/brake-pads-northern-nj-2862572/)

Worldwidebeagle 03-15-2014 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by raj99 (Post 24550491)

My recent order of Brembos were actually manufactured in Italy.

NOS you lucky dog. Even EBC, once all UK, now sources world round.

And now I am told some of the best rotors are coming out of Mexico from Sanluis Rassini, http://www.sanluisrassini.com. Mercedes, VAG, BMW, ZF, LUK, TRW, Sachs, use them. Even the high tech two piece rotor on the C7 corvette. The world is a changing.

Did you find an AR yet?

raj99 03-15-2014 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle (Post 24550509)
Did you find an AR yet?

No AR yet. Perhaps trip to Denver is in order since I've heard that is the proverbial elephant graveyard of ARs. Lol.

I'm somewhat picky and people in the NW price then far too high imho. I just need a spare car to rough it in; snowboarding, camping, etc. I don't mind doing my own maintenance on it, but either I see sh$t boxes or gold have just dumped $10k maintenance and want $12k for a 13 year old car with 150k miles, and I'll pass on both of those. If you see something come along drop me a line cheers

A6Nello 03-16-2014 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Luluza (Post 24547681)
I have a 2008 A6 3.2 Quattro. The dealer quoted me $1,200 to replace front & rear brake pads. Does anyone know a reputable place where I can get the brake pads replaced for much less in Bergen county, New Jersey?

I second Dion, Drive Auto Works. Though they moved to Clifton, NJ. 138 Getty Street.

I did my brakes last October. They were pretty good on the price. I've done a lot of work with them. I have a pretty decent warranty and Drive has done a lot of warranty fixes so the car is practically new and running great. I wish I knew of them earlier because I'd done some work at the dealer (jack daniels and millburn) and pretty much got gutted, even with the warranty.

Worldwidebeagle 03-16-2014 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by raj99 (Post 24550513)
No AR yet. Perhaps trip to Denver is in order since I've heard that is the proverbial elephant graveyard of ARs. Lol.
If you see something come along drop me a line cheers

There are 15 or more ARs on Denver CL at any time. Denver and Minneapolis are the top two locations in the US, I am told (snow). If you drive on a Denver street, you will see a few ARs every day. All in great shape. They are a cult car here.

I am told and believe the 03-05s were the least trouble. Stay away from 01. I have an 03, bought new. If you look carefully at CL for Denver, you see ARs from people that bought them new 10 years ago, kept them up (lots of good indies here) and now at 10 years - 120k, they are selling. I even see some low mileage 05s (80k). I am sure you know that its the one or two owner private party ones that are generally the best and cheapest. Lots of fly by night cheapie car dealers here that buy ARs with unknown history off auction. Meh.. And even the local dealers now keep a few C5 allroads on the lot, usually cherry trade ins.

As I said, several very good indies that really know ARs that can do inspections if you find one.

raj99 03-16-2014 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle (Post 24550655)
There are 15 or more ARs on Denver CL at any time. Denver and Minneapolis are the top two locations in the US, I am told (snow). If you drive on a Denver street, you will see a few ARs every day. All in great shape. They are a cult car here.

I am told and believe the 03-05s were the least trouble. Stay away from 01. I have an 03, bought new. If you look carefully at CL for Denver, you see ARs from people that bought them new 10 years ago, kept them up (lots of good indies here) and now at 10 years - 120k, they are selling. I even see some low mileage 05s (80k). I am sure you know that its the one or two owner private party ones that are generally the best and cheapest. Lots of fly by night cheapie car dealers here that buy ARs with unknown history off auction. Meh.. And even the local dealers now keep a few C5 allroads on the lot, usually cherry trade ins.

As I said, several very good indies that really know ARs that can do inspections if you find one.

Well I did pull up a CL search and there are about 2-3x what we have for sale here. But I would prefer a local car, just for the sheer ease of the entire transaction. Furthermore, I don't have to deal with excessive sinter/snow driving...heck our winter's consist of rain and MORE rain ;) At 10+ year old car driving on salted roads does not bode well.

I'm in no rush and appreciate the advice...if I do get over to Denver, then it would be a great excuse to pick one up and have a good road-trip all at the same time.

KevinGary 03-16-2014 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by raj99 (Post 24550700)
At 10+ year old car driving on salted roads does not bode well.

I.

Very true. I am at 9 years in the northeast and the lower front door inserts are doing the "bends" indicating that I have the somewhat common rust issue. Thankfully there is a 12 year rust warranty. The next time I bring it in I will have the dealer repair it.

Luluza 03-18-2014 09:42 AM

I bought the Hawk Performance brake pads and the ECB Rotors. Total cost about $500. Meineke quoted $180 for labour. Took them to Meineke last week, the mechanic was able to do the front wheels but indicated he was unable to do the rear as the pads I bought cannot fit in. The brake pads I bought for rear are Hawk Performance HB544F.628 Can someone please confirm these are correct pads for rear? Is the mechanic missing something? Thank you all for your help.

raj99 03-18-2014 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Luluza (Post 24551338)
I bought the Hawk Performance brake pads and the ECB Rotors. Total cost about $500. Meineke quoted $180 for labour. Took them to Meineke last week, the mechanic was able to do the front wheels but indicated he was unable to do the rear as the pads I bought cannot fit in. The brake pads I bought for rear are Hawk Performance HB544F.628 Can someone please confirm these are correct pads for rear? Is the mechanic missing something? Thank you all for your help.

What model C6 is yours again?

Also, the rear pads need a vag-com to release and I doubt Meineke has a ross-tech VCDS (vag-com) to do this. I've also done it via a c-clamp for a friend's car, but it is far easier with the right equipment. Front brakes are easy...rear brakes require vag-com...simply put.

Luluza 03-18-2014 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by raj99 (Post 24551364)
What model C6 is yours again?

Also, the rear pads need a vag-com to release and I doubt Meineke has a ross-tech VCDS (vag-com) to do this. I've also done it via a c-clamp for a friend's car, but it is far easier with the right equipment. Front brakes are easy...rear brakes require vag-com...simply put.

Audi A6 2008 model 3.2L

raj99 03-18-2014 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Luluza (Post 24551371)
Audi A6 2008 model 3.2L

It appears you bought the correct model:
http://www.hawkperformance.com/perfo...pads/hb544f628

Go to a place that actually does installs on Audi vehicles and they will be able to 100% confirm. Since my guess is that the Meineke you went to has no idea on how to install the rotors and pads on the rear, since they don't have the vag-com to release it.