A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 11:06 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake pads/rotors replacement cost ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarmac101
Hello,

The light regarding my brake pads (2006 A6 4.2 s-line) came on so I went to get an estimate (at a local gas garage - I will go to NTB next) to replace them. I was told that now, you need to replace the rotors along with the pads (they told me that they do not resurface rotors anymore and that rotors are just too soft for the brake pads these days). Here is the estimate I got

Front: labor $ 167, parts $571
Rear: labor $279, parts $812
Four wheel brake system flush: $119

Total $1775 What ????

This seems crazy high. What are people paying these days for such a job?

Thx
Look at it this way:

You are helping many people make their house and boat payment and airplane payment and trampoline payment and dog house payment and swimming pool payment,etc.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hello,

The light regarding my brake pads (2006 A6 4.2 s-line) came on so I went to get an estimate (at a local gas garage - I will go to NTB next) to replace them. I was told that now, you need to replace the rotors along with the pads (they told me that they do not resurface rotors anymore and that rotors are just too soft for the brake pads these days). Here is the estimate I got

Total $1775 What ????

Thx
Just changed all four brakes on my 3.2 avant.
I used OEM pads (the best bite) and Zimmerman rotors.
parts costed $250 for front and $150 for the back
I changed the brakes myself. Had to use VAG COM and had to buy battery charger to keep the voltage in the system while the rear brakes are open.

I guess the labor should cost ~$170-$300 given tricky business with the rear brakes.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Similar here. Decided to just stay with plain Centric rotors. Keeping rear rotors one more round.

Ordered from Tire Rack

2 Centric High Carbon Plain 125 Series Rotor In Stock $156.00

1 StopTech Street Performance Pads In Stock $85.00

1 StopTech Street Performance Pads In Stock $57.00
--------
$298.00

Rear rotors would have added another $84.00

I have VAG com to retract the rear calipers.

Will take me about 2 or 3 hours to change everything out.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by beep-beep
Just changed all four brakes on my 3.2 avant.
I used OEM pads (the best bite) and Zimmerman rotors.
parts costed $250 for front and $150 for the back
I changed the brakes myself. Had to use VAG COM and had to buy battery charger to keep the voltage in the system while the rear brakes are open.

I guess the labor should cost ~$170-$300 given tricky business with the rear brakes.
I'm not sure why you thought this was necessary? The e-brake system does not require power to stay disengaged. It doesn't draw power from your battery when the car is shut off without the e-brake, so it doesn't draw power to stay off when you open them with the VAG-COM.

I did the rear brakes with a VAG-COM, and no battery charger was necessary.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumjahn
I'm not sure why you thought this was necessary? The e-brake system does not require power to stay disengaged. It doesn't draw power from your battery when the car is shut off without the e-brake, so it doesn't draw power to stay off when you open them with the VAG-COM.

I did the rear brakes with a VAG-COM, and no battery charger was necessary.
You may be right. ross-tech had very clear warning about it. So I listened to them.
In the hindsight I could simply test the approach by switching the brake into service position and leaving like this overnight. If it stays in the same position in the morning - I do not need to keep power on when changing brakes.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a question about the rear rotors. I know the electomic parking brake issue but was currious about the caliber mount. Do you need to remove the caliber mount to get off the rotors and if so are the bolts hard to access? The reason I ask is the manual shows a special socket for the torque wrench to gain access.

Also if you did the front how did you route the wear indictator wire? From the factory its behind the metal brake line and it did not seem to go back in there with out forcing it. I just routed it into the clip and is seems fine although the manual has a line saying to put it in the dust cap?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jd
Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Similar here. Decided to just stay with plain Centric rotors. Keeping rear rotors one more round.

Ordered from Tire Rack

2 Centric High Carbon Plain 125 Series Rotor In Stock $156.00

1 StopTech Street Performance Pads In Stock $85.00

1 StopTech Street Performance Pads In Stock $57.00
--------
$298.00

Rear rotors would have added another $84.00

I have VAG com to retract the rear calipers.

Will take me about 2 or 3 hours to change everything out.

Tarmac talked about going to NTB. Is Tarmac smoking something. I have no personal experience at NTB, but the word on the street is that their managers have no problem making house payments!!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just did my brakes on my 06 4.2 w/ 66K miles on the odo this past weekend. Took my brother and I 4 hours to do all 4 brakes and rotors. Used a VAG to retract the rear piston. Wasn't too hard to do with the DIY that was posted here.

Total cost for parts was around 5-600 bux. Went with EBC rotors and their green pads all around.

My rears actually had quite a bit of life left in them but I swapped them out anyways. The brake sensor is in the front pads, no sensor in the rears.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello,

Total $1775 What ????

Thx
Just replaced my front brakes for $1,000 CAD at the dealership.

My S6 only get serviced at the dealership.

Last edited by canucks6; 04-22-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll be honest, with these figures, I would not be able to afford this Audi if I didn't do my own labor.

When people say Audi's are expensive to own, they aren't kidding. Either be ready to pony up or roll the sleeves up.

Quick Reply: Brake pads/rotors replacement cost ?