A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Buying advice on a 3.2 C6

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advice on a 3.2 C6

Hi all,

First time poster here. I've been lurking a bit to try and get up to speed on the C6 platform but I can't get the information I'm looking for quick enough, and I don't have the time to browse everything before I see the car, so figured it'd be easy to post, failing that if anyone could point me to a proper buying guide that would be awesome too. I've stumbled across a potentially great deal locally to me and would like some input from enthusiasts.

It's a 2006 A6 3.2 V6 FWD, with 67k on the clock. As far as I can tell it's probably the base spec but that doesn't bother me too much.

Crucially, it has two issues:

1. Salvage title, although I have photos of the damage and it looks largely cosmetic. I know what I'm looking out for here so this isn't something that concerns me.

2. Intermittent engine light, hasn't appeared for 6 months, no effect whilst on and the drive is supposedly clear. No limp mode and all gears work.

I'm going to look at the car tomorrow, I have an OBD2 reader so I intend on pulling the codes if it has any to see what's going on - obviously that's going to give the most insight.

As far as I can tell, the most likely problem for this engine light is either: torque converter, TCM or carbon build up on the valves. All of those should however exhibit some sort of symptom during driving. Is that a correct assumption? Does anyone offhand know what codes I should be looking out for?

Given this is a non-quattro model, I'm assuming it has a CVT transmission? Are these as notoriously bad as CVT is elsewhere in the car world? I would have no issues if it was an ordinary 6 speed auto box but I'm totally unfamiliar with CVTs and this is the bit that makes me most nervous. Am I right in thinking I need to check that it's had a 50,000 CVT box fluid flush?

It otherwise has excellent service records, all at a main dealer except the last oil change. The car is priced at $3500. I'm essentially looking to get about 12,000 miles out of it over the next two years with normal maintenance, barring maybe one big repair. Given the mileage on the clock, I'm hopeful that this is a realistic outcome.

The one huge downside is it didn't go through the TCM recall during the open period, so that hasn't been done.

Any advice appreciated - I accept this is a bit of a risk but if anyone can give me a few pointers on the absolute NO areas of this particular C6 model, I'd be really grateful.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by shiversaint
Hi all,

First time poster here. I've been lurking a bit to try and get up to speed on the C6 platform but I can't get the information I'm looking for quick enough, and I don't have the time to browse everything before I see the car, so figured it'd be easy to post, failing that if anyone could point me to a proper buying guide that would be awesome too. I've stumbled across a potentially great deal locally to me and would like some input from enthusiasts.

It's a 2006 A6 3.2 V6 FWD, with 67k on the clock. As far as I can tell it's probably the base spec but that doesn't bother me too much.

Crucially, it has two issues:

1. Salvage title, although I have photos of the damage and it looks largely cosmetic. I know what I'm looking out for here so this isn't something that concerns me.

2. Intermittent engine light, hasn't appeared for 6 months, no effect whilst on and the drive is supposedly clear. No limp mode and all gears work.

I'm going to look at the car tomorrow, I have an OBD2 reader so I intend on pulling the codes if it has any to see what's going on - obviously that's going to give the most insight.

As far as I can tell, the most likely problem for this engine light is either: torque converter, TCM or carbon build up on the valves. All of those should however exhibit some sort of symptom during driving. Is that a correct assumption? Does anyone offhand know what codes I should be looking out for?

Given this is a non-quattro model, I'm assuming it has a CVT transmission? Are these as notoriously bad as CVT is elsewhere in the car world? I would have no issues if it was an ordinary 6 speed auto box but I'm totally unfamiliar with CVTs and this is the bit that makes me most nervous. Am I right in thinking I need to check that it's had a 50,000 CVT box fluid flush?

It otherwise has excellent service records, all at a main dealer except the last oil change. The car is priced at $3500. I'm essentially looking to get about 12,000 miles out of it over the next two years with normal maintenance, barring maybe one big repair. Given the mileage on the clock, I'm hopeful that this is a realistic outcome.

The one huge downside is it didn't go through the TCM recall during the open period, so that hasn't been done.

Any advice appreciated - I accept this is a bit of a risk but if anyone can give me a few pointers on the absolute NO areas of this particular C6 model, I'd be really grateful.
Welcome to the forum and potential ownership of a C6.

1 - I wouldn't touch a salvage title vehicle, but that's your call

2 - get yourself a good VAG OBD reader (i.e. VCDS or even one of the lesser BT enabled ones) to determine the actual cause of the CEL

I would NEVER purchase a FWD Audi...what's the point? As far as the CVT is concerned, SEARCH through the forum and you won't find a lot of great things about it.

Before you buy it, get a GOOD PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done on the vehicle to ensure things are ok. But honestly, at $3500 - well it's not a lot of $$ and remember that when this car sold new it was over $40K, so there will invariably be things that won't be the same as a brand new model.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks raj99.

I've had an in depth read about the multitronic/CVT boxes and I think it's probably one too many gambles for me on this one, and also sounds like they are an awful drive too. The search continues!
Old 06-23-2018, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure you start the engine with the driver's door and hood open and listen for a loud, brief rattle. Timing chain upper tensioners are a notorious weak spot on this engine, and when I bought my 3.2 the seller quickly turned the radio on as I reached forwards to start the ignition. I should have run a mile of course, but I failed to notice the clatter which was the sign of the tensioners having failed. At 67k miles you probably would not expect that problem, but who knows. Could account for the engine light?