A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-25-2016, 03:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

C6 ABS module Removal Question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 ABS module Removal Question.

I have the dreaded ABS module issue. I want to take the module to BBA Remanufacturing to have it fixed.

The C6 makes it hard for you to get to the module without removing the pump. My question is:

If I remove the pump( + brake lines ) to remove the ABS module, will I have to bleed the brake lines when I put it back together?
if so, would I need to take it to the dealer or can this be done by any mechanic with the tools?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, all I want for xmas is to get rid of that loud abs warning beeep.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

What year is your car. Because I just have my repair a modulemaster.com and my tecnician never remove anything, just took it from the top. My was a Bosh 8.0 and its a 2005 A6 C6. $384 total and 5 year waranty work like a charm no more Christmas tree in my dash.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also have a 2005 c6. I can also take it off the top but I cant see any way to remove the module without removing the pump. Removing the pump is what I am concerned about since Bentley manual states that you have to bleed the brakes if you are replacing the unit with a new one - in my case I would be putting the old one back with a repaired module.

All the DIY are for the c5 and they are able to get to the module via the wheel well but on the c6 there's no way to remove just the module.

BTW congrats on the xmas light free car.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mines rebuilt at ModuleMaster earlier this year and I could not find anyway to remove just the ABS module. The problem is a metal bracket that stands in the way of two of the four screws for the module. I drained the lines, removed the pump and shipped out my ABS module to get repaired.

Last edited by jujuC6; 12-20-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I finally removed it and drove up to BBA reman in Taunton MA, and they basically said that they would attempt to fix it but they never worked on a 8.0 before and it would a experimental procedure that could take 2 weeks.

Not the type of response I wanted; so I packed and shipped the module off to modulemasters.

Now I wait, wish me luck.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by avirex421
I finally removed it and drove up to BBA reman in Taunton MA, and they basically said that they would attempt to fix it but they never worked on a 8.0 before and it would a experimental procedure that could take 2 weeks.

Not the type of response I wanted; so I packed and shipped the module off to modulemasters.

Good luck but they should be able to fix it. They repaired mines this past spring and ever since no more out of season christmas lights on the dash.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

They repair my in just 4 days..+ they give 5 year of warranty..Good Luck...
Old 12-21-2011, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jeffry
They repair my in just 4 days..+ they give 5 year of warranty..Good Luck...
Yep, 5 year warranty...
Old 12-21-2011, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by avirex421

Were you able to remove just the module and leave the pump in place? If so what is the trick so that others know for future reference.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just did this yesterday and shipped my ABS module to ModuleMaster. I had to remove the phillips screw holding down the coolant resevoir. Disconnected the harness. Removed the 2 nuts holding the ABS pump to the metal bracket. Removed the upper screw holding the metal bracket. Removed the 2 lower screws holding the metal bracket (hidden under a wire loom). I was then able to carefully "tweak" over the whole ABS assembly away from the bracket just enough to get a wrench on the four E5 Torx bolts. Carefully remove the module straight away from the ABS. After that I wrapped everything in Aluminum foil as suggested by modulemaster. Packaged, shipped, BAM! its off for repair.

Now I just have to deal with lights and sounds of the dash Christmas tree. Just wish the tune was a little less nagging. ;-)

Quick Reply: C6 ABS module Removal Question.