A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Car auto locking itself

Old 05-18-2018, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Car auto locking itself

I have a question. Two days ago I finally replaced my driver's door lock actuator. Yes, it was a beast (5.5 hours of work). But, I now have the ability to lock and unlock my car (to include the driver's door) with my remote. Also, the alarm now arms without me having to put the key in the driver's door lock. My question is............since I replaced this, why is my car locking all of the door on its own? I will get out of the car and come back to it later and all of the doors are locked. I mean I do like the feature but not sure what setting is enabled to allow this. I have read my manual and I don't see where this is a function of the remote key or a setting in the MMI. I don't mind it but I want to be able to turn it on and off at my leisure. It does drive me a little crazy the few times I have gone out into the garage to go into the car and have to go back inside to get the key to unlock it. Also, I don't think it is arming the alarm automatically but is only locking the doors. If it was able to arm the alarm after a few seconds when I am out and about, that would be cool also. Trying to understand what is now going on with this since replacing the driver door lock actuator. Thanks for any input.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is nothing wrong going on... now since you have fixed your door, everything is working normal as designed. People do forget to lock the doors. Then your car takes over. It locks the doors for you. You can try by closing your door, then pressing unlock button on your remote...and go on from there.
I forgot to add.... you have an Audi, not Toyota..or some other junk...Audis' have a soul...you just need to find connection between two of you...

Last edited by Nurke; 05-20-2018 at 08:48 AM. Reason: ading more
Old 05-20-2018, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurke
There is nothing wrong going on... now since you have fixed your door, everything is working normal as designed. People do forget to lock the doors. Then your car takes over. It locks the doors for you. You can try by closing your door, then pressing unlock button on your remote...and go on from there.
I forgot to add.... you have an Audi, not Toyota..or some other junk...Audis' have a soul...you just need to find connection between two of you...
Neither of my Audis lock themselves when I leave them.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had 4, now 2 of them and they do...might be a market option??? Or its the time when you do full body scan and see if there are issues with your central locking.

Last edited by Nurke; 05-20-2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: .
Old 05-21-2018, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback Nurke. It just got more interesting as of today. See my post from today that talks about the dumb car locking me out today while it was running with the key inside!!! Ugh!!
Old 05-21-2018, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had 4, now 2 of them and they do...might be a market option??? Or its the time when you do full body scan and see if there are issues with your central locking.
You mean run a full VCDS scan? I don' t have that. I have a cheaper tool called VagCom xTool401 and it can code modules. When my old driver's door actuator was broken I had a few codes for the driver's door electronics and for the central locking, etc. When I installed the new lock actuator the other night I cleared the codes. And now it's doing this weird auto locking.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So is there any rhyme or reason when/why yours will lock itself? If it like 30 seconds, 1 min, 5 min??? Is it all the time or only sometimes? You don't know how to turn that function off right? Weird part was that mine had kept locking itself (while sitting in the garage) but today hasn't done it since I parked it in the garage after that episode of it locking me out today while running. Don't know what turns that on and off.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 321 Likes on 270 Posts

The car auto-locks itself after 60 seconds if it was locked, then you unlocked it but no doors got opened. If you open any of the doors after unlocking it, the car stays unlocked and should not lock itself again. That is how both my C5 and C6 work. If the car locks itself out of the loop there must be something wrong. You said it started after replacing the driver's door actuator. That actuator you purchased off eBay might not be compatible with your car or maybe some programming is needed there.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok. Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind as an option. You are right. It does have a soul.....an evil soul it appears. LOL.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
The car auto-locks itself after 60 seconds if it was locked, then you unlocked it but no doors got opened. If you open any of the doors after unlocking it, the car stays unlocked and should not lock itself again. That is how both my C5 and C6 work. If the car locks itself out of the loop there must be something wrong. You said it started after replacing the driver's door actuator. That actuator you purchased off eBay might not be compatible with your car or maybe some programming is needed there.
You are right. Might be the same issue I had when I purchased the first "made in China" reverse buzzer. I don't quite understand what you mean by, "The car auto-locks itself after 60 seconds if it was locked, then you unlocked it but no doors got opened".
The problem I am finding with our cars is that when you are driving it and have the "auto lock" on, the doors lock once you put the car in drive. This was not functioning properly for me until I replaced the door lock actuator. Now it works. But the problem is when you stop and put the car in park but leave it running......the doors remain locked but allow you to open them and get out of the car without pressing the unlock button. Then the door closes behind you and re-locks itself (or simply remains locked). This should not be allowed. When the car goes in park the car should unlock the doors. Or when you pull the door handle from the inside to get out of the vehicle, it should actually unlock the door lock. Otherwise, when the door closes, you can be locked out with the keys inside. Make sense? Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car auto locking itself