A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Car wont start...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car wont start...

Hi All - hoping for some help!

I left my A6 stood for about a week and half recently, just as the weather started getting cold. When I returned to it, two days ago, I turned on the ignition and the battery warning light came one and I noticed it was a little more sluggish to start the engine. I checked the battery meter in the MMI and it was showing 80 percent...

Yesterday I took it out for an hours drive and this got the battery level up to 100%.

Today I went back and attempted to start the engine wont turn over over. It sounds like it's trying to, but it just cant.

The strange thing is, there is no battery warning light in the dash and the meter in the MMI shows 100%.

Any ideas? I am suspecting there is a battery problem, but I would expect to get a warning light and a lesser capacity reported in the MMI?
Old 11-23-2018, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesAudiA6007
Hi All - hoping for some help!

I left my A6 stood for about a week and half recently, just as the weather started getting cold. When I returned to it, two days ago, I turned on the ignition and the battery warning light came one and I noticed it was a little more sluggish to start the engine. I checked the battery meter in the MMI and it was showing 80 percent...

Yesterday I took it out for an hours drive and this got the battery level up to 100%.

Today I went back and attempted to start the engine wont turn over over. It sounds like it's trying to, but it just cant.

The strange thing is, there is no battery warning light in the dash and the meter in the MMI shows 100%.

Any ideas? I am suspecting there is a battery problem, but I would expect to get a warning light and a lesser capacity reported in the MMI?
When was the last time your changed the battery in the car?

The mmi battery meter is notoriously unreliable and impersise
Old 11-23-2018, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Raj,

I bought the car in March this year, not sure when the battery was last changed. I think that as I have no idea about this, I should get it checked. Meanwhile, an update...

Went out again to take another look at the car. Headlights come on full brightness. All electrics seems fine. Windows go up and down etc..

Turn the key, and it's like it's stuck it sounds like it's straining at the leash to turn the engine over but cannot.

So tried again; turned the key and held it there, about 5 seconds and suddenly its like something freed up or become unstuck, the engine turned over once and fired into life.

So I wonder what was going on - could the engine have been literally frozen solid and just needed a whole bunch of effort from the starter to get going?
Old 11-23-2018, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JamesAudiA6007
Hi Raj,

I bought the car in March this year, not sure when the battery was last changed. I think that as I have no idea about this, I should get it checked. Meanwhile, an update...

Went out again to take another look at the car. Headlights come on full brightness. All electrics seems fine. Windows go up and down etc..

Turn the key, and it's like it's stuck it sounds like it's straining at the leash to turn the engine over but cannot.

So tried again; turned the key and held it there, about 5 seconds and suddenly its like something freed up or become unstuck, the engine turned over once and fired into life.

So I wonder what was going on - could the engine have been literally frozen solid and just needed a whole bunch of effort from the starter to get going?
Go out and look at your battery, it'll have a date stamp on it...if it's the same year or before your MY (model year), then I'd strongly advise you get a new battery. FWIW, even when your battery is dying, it'll power your headlights and other lower voltage items. However, when attempting to crank the vehicle it uses the most power and you can get lucky here and there...but once your battery is on it's downward slide...it'll eventually leave you stranded. You especially don't want that in the winter.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Raj thanks again for following up and helping me out. Went out (it's dark, apologies for bad images) - here's what I see..

Take this cover off, and see this...

It all looks brand new - but I guess thats no real indicator!

I cant see a date sticker anywhere on the top. Hopefully it's not on the bottom as it looks like would need to unbolt that metal piece to slid it out I think?

Thanks again for you help..
Old 11-23-2018, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There are four numbers on top of the battery post, the negative one I think. The first two are 01 upto 52, which is the week number, the other two are the year. I'm sorry but I've got my hands full tearing into my own car to attempt to resolve a rather major issue.

Also, cleanliness of your battery has no bearing on age. Remember, it's located inside the trunk under the tray...it sees no dust, light and dirt...so it should look near immaculate. When in doubt, change it out There are a ton of issues that manifest themselves when your battery starts to fail.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Raj, thanks for your advice - you were absolutely right, I took the car in to have the battery tested today - turns out the battery failed tests. So it was replaced. Simple! Cheers!