A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 11:50 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Center Console got wet and MMI problems now

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Console got wet, MMI problems - Contd.

Hello,

I have a 2008 A6 Avant, 80k miles, running smoothly. About a month back, I parked with sunroof angled; it rained and some water seeped into console switches. Thank god, all major functions are working (CD/Radio/Nav/Bluetooth/screen), volume **** works though red ring light is out, all switches respond, except RETURN; all LEDs are out, switches do not light up (which is a bother in dark); center control **** does not work (which makes it impossible to use Nav), strangely order of right switches has shifted by one...when I press FM/AM, CD player starts; when CD is pressed, screen displays Names; and when I press TEL, Radio starts. I cannot do MMI reset, likely due to center control **** not working. I do not have VAGCOM.

Spraying CRC cleaner and canned air several times has not helped. I have read multiple posts on the forum and clearly this issue is not new, with great directions for opening up the panel and console to the level of switch circuitry to do the clean up. And I will get to this job soon. But before I take things apart, couple questions bother me :

1. Its just rain water that seeped into switches, not any sugary beverage. Car has been parked under baking sun, with well over 100 degrees inside on several days. I believe all water inside circuit should have evaporated in this heat. Since problem is not solved, is there permanent damage, especially to the center control **** circuitry?

2. While I can live with other problems (gulp!), center control **** needs to be fixed. After opening up console, if clean up does not fix it, is replacement of entire console the only solution for the **** ?

If damage is permanent, I might as well arrange for a replacement console at the time of opening up as it sure looks like a 4-5 hour job.

Any other thoughts/suggestions/ideas are most welcome.

HD
Attached Thumbnails Center Console got wet and MMI problems now-2008-a6-avant-console-pic.jpg  
Old 09-02-2016, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by hitesh9
Hello,

I have a 2008 A6 Avant, 80k miles, running smoothly. About a month back, I parked with sunroof angled; it rained and some water seeped into console switches. Thank god, all major functions are working (CD/Radio/Nav/Bluetooth/screen), volume **** works though red ring light is out, all switches respond, except RETURN; all LEDs are out, switches do not light up (which is a bother in dark); center control **** does not work (which makes it impossible to use Nav), strangely order of right switches has shifted by one...when I press FM/AM, CD player starts; when CD is pressed, screen displays Names; and when I press TEL, Radio starts. I cannot do MMI reset, likely due to center control **** not working. I do not have VAGCOM.

Spraying CRC cleaner and canned air several times has not helped. I have read multiple posts on the forum and clearly this issue is not new, with great directions for opening up the panel and console to the level of switch circuitry to do the clean up. And I will get to this job soon. But before I take things apart, couple questions bother me :

1. Its just rain water that seeped into switches, not any sugary beverage. Car has been parked under baking sun, with well over 100 degrees inside on several days. I believe all water inside circuit should have evaporated in this heat. Since problem is not solved, is there permanent damage, especially to the center control **** circuitry?

2. While I can live with other problems (gulp!), center control **** needs to be fixed. After opening up console, if clean up does not fix it, is replacement of entire console the only solution for the **** ?

If damage is permanent, I might as well arrange for a replacement console at the time of opening up as it sure looks like a 4-5 hour job.

Any other thoughts/suggestions/ideas are most welcome.

HD
Even though it's only "rain water", does not mean it can simply be dried out and not have a negative impact on electronics. You'll need to remove the mmi console, which isn't too difficult and attempt to dry it out and by now there maybe corrosion to the circuit boards, hence a replacement might be required.

Fwiw, you can remove the center **** by simply prying it straight up and it will pop out... Just use some force. See if there isn't some debris or other issue limiting the ***** usage. The issue you've described doesn't appear to be a defect with the ****, but with the functionality the **** is designed to interface with, which is part of the circuit board.

BTW, have you performed a 3 button reset on the mmi? If not, start with that and see what happens.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Raj99. I have removed the **** several times to spray the CRC and air, but that did not help. There is no sign of debris in there. I will get to removing the console over a weekend. I tried the 3-button reset, but it did not work as it involves centre ****.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Prestige Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hitesh9
Thanks Raj99. I have removed the **** several times to spray the CRC and air, but that did not help. There is no sign of debris in there. I will get to removing the console over a weekend. I tried the 3-button reset, but it did not work as it involves centre ****.
Before you go spend hundreds of dollars at the dealer, if you know the MMI board under the buttons is toast like mine was (previous owner spilled soda) you can source a $60 replacement of just the board from here: Audi Multimedia Keys-E380 Circuit Board (with Navigation)

I did a swap with the replacement board last year and everything has been working fine since then, and I saved a lot of money vs. getting used switches on eBay or having the dealer work on it. Good luck!

Last edited by mikerouze; 06-18-2017 at 11:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
das60 (08-02-2020)
Old 04-24-2017, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you to all with your wisdom in this thread. I also left my sunroof open and a generous rain storm swamped my MMI in the 2011 A6.

After it dried out in a 1 1/2 days, all buttons work except for the center control **** and all illumination when the lights are on is dead. Otherwise, I can use everything as long as I don't have to select something with the center ****, which is limiting, but getting by.

I choose to order the new Circuit Board as mikerouze suggested and am expecting that it should solve the issue. I will post back with any learnings or results. It's forums such as this that helps us all.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default console wet

Happened to me . Got replacement for green card to replace the piece on ebay for $110 dollars and shipping $10
Went to a guy who does auto alarm wiring and he replaced it in 45 minutes
The dealer wanted a ton more . If you are willing to learn how to remove the console ( a pain in the *** from my view ) you can save a ton . He charged me $150 dollars
Old 06-18-2017, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 147 Likes on 132 Posts

I've changed my centre board as well, not too hard to do... but my MMI still doesn't work... still searching for a solution
Old 11-05-2019, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I'm having the same problem. What can I do

Originally Posted by r1racer
So I left my sunroof open yesterday and it rained (not too much) but enough where my console got water on/in it and my MMI went crazy. The thing kept switching from Nav to CD to radio...but then started working properly and hour or two later after I took a blow dryer and ran it over the console. So this morning I go to check on it and it was stuck on CD and i couldn't use the buttons to switch tracks, to FM...etc. Blueooth worked, however. So, I just went to scan the car an now the MMI screen comes up, music plays for about 5 seconds then MMI shuts off.

The control head, radio, nav, sound system...all cannot be reached. I doubt this will be covered under warranty. Anyone had this problem and know what needs to be replaced?
I have the same issue. It rained inside and now the console is not working. What can I do to get it back to working
Old 11-06-2019, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

Raj has the solution, I bought an E-380 board online for $30 give or take. You have to pull apart the console to get at the MMI keypad and then carefully break the "Warranty" seal and split the shell. There is really not much to it beyond swapping out the board and fitting a little spring under the volume ****. The PIA is getting the console out, but you are doing that anyway.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys I have the same problem. MMI got rained on (twice - don’t ask) and the centre wheel doesn’t work and the lights for media - nav - etc all flash up all the time - like the system thinks every button is being pushed all the time.

I have sourced a replacement unit and I’ll put it in but they are looking to charge a huge amount to code the new unit to the car. Is that necessary? Surely it’s just plug and play with another unit of the exact same model?

Any help appreciated.

Quick Reply: Center Console got wet and MMI problems now