AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/)
-   -   Child Lock Window Stuck (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c6-platform-discussion-58/child-lock-window-stuck-2796725/)

0642A6 12-19-2010 03:11 PM

Child Lock Window Stuck

So here's my problem - the child lock for the driver's side rear window is constantly lit and the window can only be opened through the driver's master switch. I can hear a faint click when pressing it, but not like the passenger side. I tried the "hold the lock and then try opening the rear window" trick, along with some other tips I've read on the forum, but to no avail. I ordered a new switch, thinking maybe there was a problem inside and I didn't want to bother taking it apart because the price was good and my switch was in pretty worn shape anyways. Installed it today and the problem remains.

I now believe it to be something in the rear door, but what that something is, I don't know. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help.

0642A6 12-22-2010 04:57 PM

Any thoughts on what I should look at to fix this?

0642A6 12-31-2010 12:14 PM

Last try - does anyone have any idea where I should look to troubleshoot this or am I the first one to have this issue?

pcamaj 12-31-2010 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by 0642A6 (Post 24077560)
So here's my problem - the child lock for the driver's side rear window is constantly lit and the window can only be opened through the driver's master switch. I can hear a faint click when pressing it, but not like the passenger side. I tried the "hold the lock and then try opening the rear window" trick, along with some other tips I've read on the forum, but to no avail. I ordered a new switch, thinking maybe there was a problem inside and I didn't want to bother taking it apart because the price was good and my switch was in pretty worn shape anyways. Installed it today and the problem remains.

I now believe it to be something in the rear door, but what that something is, I don't know. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help.

did u check if there is a manual switch, anywhere in the rear door... like "child lock" or whatever it may be?? just a thought...
HAPPY NEW YEAR

royclark 01-01-2011 12:14 PM

Have you accidently activated the switch in your door that opperates the child-locks?

Page 46 doors & windows.
To quote from the hand book :- on the drivers door "press the left or right (pic of child) button to switch the child-proof on the corresponding rear door on and off.

The diode in the switch will light up when the child-proof switch is activated;

* Electric windows in the corresponding door.
* Door handle on the inside of the corresponding door.

http://https://forums.audiworld.com/...1&d=1294000053

exocet 01-01-2011 01:26 PM

rear window problem

Do both rear windows not work when trying to use the rear door switches but can be operated by using the master switches on the drivers door?
If so its likely to be your child lock switch not engaging /disengaging properly - it can usually be fixed bt taking the switch apart.

Confirm that these are the symptoms

0642A6 01-01-2011 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by pcamaj (Post 24083215)
did u check if there is a manual switch, anywhere in the rear door... like "child lock" or whatever it may be?? just a thought...
HAPPY NEW YEAR

Thanks for responding - I did check that, and the only manual lock is for the door handle, not the window.

0642A6 01-01-2011 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by exocet (Post 24083534)
Do both rear windows not work when trying to use the rear door switches but can be operated by using the master switches on the drivers door?
If so its likely to be your child lock switch not engaging /disengaging properly - it can usually be fixed bt taking the switch apart.

Confirm that these are the symptoms

Both windows can be operated by the master switch; passenger rear can be operated when the child lock is not activated from the passenger rear door; driver rear can ONLY be operated from the master switch.

The child lock light is constantly lit corresponding to the driver rear window. When I press the child lock for the passenger side, I hear a solid 'thunk' and the window is locked. Same when I depress the switch to unlock the window. When pressing the driver's side lock, however, I hear a faint 'tick, tick', the light remains lit, and the window can only be operated from the master switch. I just installed a brand new switch, and it has the same problem.

Thanks for any help.

PapatoeSC 01-14-2011 07:39 AM

were you able to fix the problem because i have the same issue but i have a c5

0642A6 01-14-2011 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by PapatoeSC (Post 24090195)
were you able to fix the problem because i have the same issue but i have a c5

I have not - I haven't had a chance to look into it more, and without more info as to what's going on in the rear door during all of this, it may take awhile.

Does anyone know if the light in the master switch is lit/unlit based on the status of something inside the rear door? i.e. if there is a mechanical lock that triggers the light when it's activated, or if the light in the master switch is purely electrically controlled via relays and what not. If I knew what component drives that light being lit (and is keeping it lit), I would know where to go next.

Thanks.