A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Confirmed: MMI 2G High > Add AMI + Tune2Air = Bluetooth Music Goodness

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My a6 2005 had nothing, no phone, Bluetooth or anything.

I purcahsed this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-AUX-Car...-/112554309908

took 2 minutes to install and works like a charm.

Phone calls and song changes all through the MMI and steering wheel. Music streaming and USB etc works great.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by seallroad
Hi All,

Having relied on this forum to do my research into each of the independent steps on my quest to add Bluetooth music streaming to my 2006 A6 Avant, I wanted to post what was successful for me in the hopes that others can get there directly. Thank you to all who make this site the bible for Audi owners.

I also relied heavily on this great site https://a6retrofit.com/ami-retrofit-...sic-interface/ which covers the AMI installation well, and includes the MMI updates including the update files. Note however that I used a different part number for the AMI than the site editor recommends, as referenced below, but confirmed in other posts on AudiWorld before ordering that it was appropriate. The site does not address the Bluetooth adapter portion of the solution, however.

MMI UPDATE:
I have the 2G MMI High (color screen between speedo & tach) w/ Nav and had only a 6-disc CD changer in the left position in the glove box. I bought the car used and it was not fitted with the AMI module. As you well know, the car only comes with Bluetooth for phone integration. I upgraded my MMI software to the latest version (4610) - see site above on how to do this.

PARTS:
I ordered the AMI module off of eBay from a UK seller "turbo_herbie", model #4E0 057 785F. New Genuine Audi Music Interface Ami iPod Interface MP3 Complete Retro Fit Kit | eBay
It came complete with the optical wiring harness and power splitter harness to allow use of both the CD Changer and the AMI. Also included the keys to remove the changer to gain access to the connectors, instructions, and the iPod connector for the AMI. The seller is quick and knowledgeable.

I also ordered the ViseeO Tune2Air WMA3000A Bluetooth adapter from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which plugs into the AMI in place of the iPod cable.

INSTALLATION (this is not comprehensive, see the A6Retrofit site referenced above):
1. As mentioned, prior to installing the AMI or the Tune2Air, I upgraded my MMI to 4610 using the site above. Piece of cake, no disc burning/reading issues. As numerous posts discuss, before you remove the changer or any connections, make sure that the car is completely off and the MMI has turned completely off as well (you'll hear a faint sound when the MMI stops supplying power to the speakers, but waiting a few minutes is also safe).

2. Removing the CD changer was a pain and while the keys supplied unlocked the retainer clips, what I think was adhesive overspray from the glove box upholstery and 10 years of time created a lot of friction making it very difficult to pull out. I had to result to using some hooks in the ends of the CD slot to make it break loose. Luckily, no harm done, hope yours is easier...

3. If you don't intend to keep the CD Changer, the install is VERY simple as you just disconnect the fiber optic and power cables from your CD Changer and connect them to the AMI, slide it back into the compartment until it clicks and you're done. I wanted to keep the changer in case I ever needed to reload an MMI upgrade or whatever, so I chose to keep the CD Changer, your call...

4. Before installing the Changer and AMI into the glove box, I connected the cables, and booted it up to test functionality, first with an iPod connected to the cable (worked perfectly, first time), and then with the Tune2Air Bluetooth Adapter. The Tune2Air took a few MMI and phone reboots to get it all to initialize properly, pair properly, etc., but has been flawless ever since. I should note that I have a Windows 10 phone, so I can't say whether this initial rebooting is likely to happen with iOS or Android, but all are claimed to be supported by the Tune2Air, with iOS apparently having the best quality of integration with the MMI screen/console/steering wheel controls. Windows 10 Phone has minimal track/artist visibility in the MMI screen, but forward/back/volume works and I have my phone as my interface in a Kenu Airframe vent-mounted phone holder in the center of the dash within index finger distance from the shifter **** anyway and like the familiarity of touchscreen interface better anyway. In some posts and the site referenced above, it's mentioned that if you add the AMI to the changer you have to do some coding in the MMI or something and that you have to update the AMI to the latest software via a USB stick (which means you need another AMI cable that has USB, not the iPod connector). I'm not sure if this is a difference with the part number that I used versus the one suggested on the site, or not, but I didn't have to code anything or update the AMI firmware for it to work or recognize the Tune2Air. Mine worked right away, just having to push the CD button on the console to toggle back and forth between CD and "Interface" which is the AMI. Super easy.

5. I installed my AMI in the right side of the glove box, where it fit most of the way in, but not all. Since the Tune2Air Bluetooth adapter stays in there all the time and you don't have to access an iPod or phone, it really didn't matter to me which side I installed it in.

6. The AMI has to slide all the way back in, flush in front with the divider panel between the AMI and the Changer, or else the glove box won't close. I used a 1" hole saw to drill a hole in the left side of the back of the right compartment to pull the fiber optic and power harnesses into the glove box from the back of the changer. I also used the hole saw to cut out the right half of the back of the right compartment to allow the right side of the AMI housing (the tray is needlessly deep) to protrude into the open area under the dash about 3/4". I drilled about 8 overlapping holes, but a few 2" holes might be easier. After a little work with a loose hack-saw blade to cut off the peaks that remain between the holes, it slid right in. Do be very careful with the routing of the fiber optic harness and power cables, especially as you slide the changer or AMI into the compartments as getting them pinched or kinked will likely lead to broken fiber which will prevent it from working. You have to plan it a bit to make sure you hook it up so that the longer end of the harnesses are headed to the AMI, giving you enough length to connect them with the AMI in front of the compartment, not just in their final location, as unless you remove the glove box (waste of time) your access to the back of the CD changer or AMI when in place is essentially non-existent. I reinstalled the changer 90% of the way in (didn't want to repeat removal headache) before hooking up the AMI. There is an optional glove box meant to handle the changer and AMI that provides the room for the AMI and the locking track that would allow it to be as secure as the changer, but I didn't see the need and don't have a problem with it shifting around. If you did, a little double stick tape would certainly fix it.

7. I fired up the car, MMI and the AMI and Tune2Air Bluetooth adapter all came right back up like after the test prior to final install.

OPERATION TIPS:

1. Sometimes if I pause a song, but don't select another source for the MMI (CD/FM, etc.) the song will pause for a few seconds and then come back on. It's strange, but I've learned to use the volume button on the console "push to mute" function as my pause, as it automatically pauses the track. It's actually easier and safer for handsfree use.

2. Turn the phone volume all the way up for richest sound in the car. Since most phones have a specific volume setting for Bluetooth (vs. headphones or speakerphone) it's easy to keep it there.

3. You can only have one phone/tablet/device paired at a time so if you're wanting to allow others to play something from their phone, the previous person has to disconnect the Bluetooth pairing on their device first.

4. I find the sound quality to be great when playing from my phone, though other posts on AudiWorld have suggested that it's not up to par...can't speak to that. I'm a stickler for good sound and I'm satisfied.

5. It does remember what you were listening to last and will start playing it when you get back in the car, which I find convenient.

That's it. Good luck!

hi,

II reading your post, a have a Bovee BT with cable for ami for 2g high, and not power up! Please help me!
Old 06-11-2020, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Streaming apps

Hi guys,

I have A6C6 allroad 2007 with AMI. Planning to buy the WMA3000A BT. Will I be able to stream YouTube music, Spotify etc. or Apple Music only. FYI I have iPhone SE and iPhone 7
Old 09-02-2020, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi All,

Having relied on this forum to do my research into each of the independent steps on my quest to add Bluetooth music streaming to my 2006 A6 Avant, I wanted to post what was successful for me in the hopes that others can get there directly. Thank you to all who make this site the bible for Audi owners.

I also relied heavily on this great site https://a6retrofit.com/ami-retrofit-...sic-interface/ which covers the AMI installation well, and includes the MMI updates including the update files. Note however that I used a different part number for the AMI than the site editor recommends, as referenced below, but confirmed in other posts on AudiWorld before ordering that it was appropriate. The site does not address the Bluetooth adapter portion of the solution, however.

MMI UPDATE:
I have the 2G MMI High (color screen between speedo & tach) w/ Nav and had only a 6-disc CD changer in the left position in the glove box. I bought the car used and it was not fitted with the AMI module. As you well know, the car only comes with Bluetooth for phone integration. I upgraded my MMI software to the latest version (4610) - see site above on how to do this.

PARTS:
I ordered the AMI module off of eBay from a UK seller "turbo_herbie", model #4E0 057 785F. New Genuine Audi Music Interface Ami iPod Interface MP3 Complete Retro Fit Kit | eBay
It came complete with the optical wiring harness and power splitter harness to allow use of both the CD Changer and the AMI. Also included the keys to remove the changer to gain access to the connectors, instructions, and the iPod connector for the AMI. The seller is quick and knowledgeable.

I also ordered the ViseeO Tune2Air WMA3000A Bluetooth adapter from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which plugs into the AMI in place of the iPod cable.

INSTALLATION (this is not comprehensive, see the A6Retrofit site referenced above):
1. As mentioned, prior to installing the AMI or the Tune2Air, I upgraded my MMI to 4610 using the site above. Piece of cake, no disc burning/reading issues. As numerous posts discuss, before you remove the changer or any connections, make sure that the car is completely off and the MMI has turned completely off as well (you'll hear a faint sound when the MMI stops supplying power to the speakers, but waiting a few minutes is also safe).

2. Removing the CD changer was a pain and while the keys supplied unlocked the retainer clips, what I think was adhesive overspray from the glove box upholstery and 10 years of time created a lot of friction making it very difficult to pull out. I had to result to using some hooks in the ends of the CD slot to make it break loose. Luckily, no harm done, hope yours is easier...

3. If you don't intend to keep the CD Changer, the install is VERY simple as you just disconnect the fiber optic and power cables from your CD Changer and connect them to the AMI, slide it back into the compartment until it clicks and you're done. I wanted to keep the changer in case I ever needed to reload an MMI upgrade or whatever, so I chose to keep the CD Changer, your call...

4. Before installing the Changer and AMI into the glove box, I connected the cables, and booted it up to test functionality, first with an iPod connected to the cable (worked perfectly, first time), and then with the Tune2Air Bluetooth Adapter. The Tune2Air took a few MMI and phone reboots to get it all to initialize properly, pair properly, etc., but has been flawless ever since. I should note that I have a Windows 10 phone, so I can't say whether this initial rebooting is likely to happen with iOS or Android, but all are claimed to be supported by the Tune2Air, with iOS apparently having the best quality of integration with the MMI screen/console/steering wheel controls. Windows 10 Phone has minimal track/artist visibility in the MMI screen, but forward/back/volume works and I have my phone as my interface in a Kenu Airframe vent-mounted phone holder in the center of the dash within index finger distance from the shifter **** anyway and like the familiarity of touchscreen interface better anyway. In some posts and the site referenced above, it's mentioned that if you add the AMI to the changer you have to do some coding in the MMI or something and that you have to update the AMI to the latest software via a USB stick (which means you need another AMI cable that has USB, not the iPod connector). I'm not sure if this is a difference with the part number that I used versus the one suggested on the site, or not, but I didn't have to code anything or update the AMI firmware for it to work or recognize the Tune2Air. Mine worked right away, just having to push the CD button on the console to toggle back and forth between CD and "Interface" which is the AMI. Super easy.

5. I installed my AMI in the right side of the glove box, where it fit most of the way in, but not all. Since the Tune2Air Bluetooth adapter stays in there all the time and you don't have to access an iPod or phone, it really didn't matter to me which side I installed it in.

6. The AMI has to slide all the way back in, flush in front with the divider panel between the AMI and the Changer, or else the glove box won't close. I used a 1" hole saw to drill a hole in the left side of the back of the right compartment to pull the fiber optic and power harnesses into the glove box from the back of the changer. I also used the hole saw to cut out the right half of the back of the right compartment to allow the right side of the AMI housing (the tray is needlessly deep) to protrude into the open area under the dash about 3/4". I drilled about 8 overlapping holes, but a few 2" holes might be easier. After a little work with a loose hack-saw blade to cut off the peaks that remain between the holes, it slid right in. Do be very careful with the routing of the fiber optic harness and power cables, especially as you slide the changer or AMI into the compartments as getting them pinched or kinked will likely lead to broken fiber which will prevent it from working. You have to plan it a bit to make sure you hook it up so that the longer end of the harnesses are headed to the AMI, giving you enough length to connect them with the AMI in front of the compartment, not just in their final location, as unless you remove the glove box (waste of time) your access to the back of the CD changer or AMI when in place is essentially non-existent. I reinstalled the changer 90% of the way in (didn't want to repeat removal headache) before hooking up the AMI. There is an optional glove box meant to handle the changer and AMI that provides the room for the AMI and the locking track that would allow it to be as secure as the changer, but I didn't see the need and don't have a problem with it shifting around. If you did, a little double stick tape would certainly fix it.

7. I fired up the car, MMI and the AMI and Tune2Air Bluetooth adapter all came right back up like after the test prior to final install.

OPERATION TIPS:

1. Sometimes if I pause a song, but don't select another source for the MMI (CD/FM, etc.) the song will pause for a few seconds and then come back on. It's strange, but I've learned to use the volume button on the console "push to mute" function as my pause, as it automatically pauses the track. It's actually easier and safer for handsfree use.

2. Turn the phone volume all the way up for richest sound in the car. Since most phones have a specific volume setting for Bluetooth (vs. headphones or speakerphone) it's easy to keep it there.

3. You can only have one phone/tablet/device paired at a time so if you're wanting to allow others to play something from their phone, the previous person has to disconnect the Bluetooth pairing on their device first.

4. I find the sound quality to be great when playing from my phone, though other posts on AudiWorld have suggested that it's not up to par...can't speak to that. I'm a stickler for good sound and I'm satisfied.

5. It does remember what you were listening to last and will start playing it when you get back in the car, which I find convenient.

That's it. Good luck!
So the WMA3000A will definitely work with my car that's 2007 A6 C6 2007 with 2g high newest software and with AMI?

Old 09-03-2020, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it does. i have the same setup. not perfect.. have issue w/ podcast forward/backward stuff like that.

-tishi
Old 11-10-2020, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update to A6 Retrofits URL

The correct URL referenced in this post is: https://www.a6retrofits.com/ami-retr...terface-a6-4f/ for anyone who needs this updated information.

Hi All,

MMI UPDATE:

PARTS:

OPERATION TIPS:

That's it. Good luck!