A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Coolant in engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you ever find out what was wrong with your s6 i am having the same problem
Old 03-03-2019, 04:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by z06bigbird
Coolant does not just evaporate inside the cooling system. It will go to about 3 different places.

1. into and out of your overflow tank.
2. outside of the engine via tiny holes in the hoses, radiator, etc. It will also come out via the weep hole in the water pump, via loose bolts in various parts of the engine.

A pressure test will show various leaks.

3. If not one or two, then it is going into the engine, most likely via an intake manifold gasket or a bad head gasket. If anyone has mixed green and yellow anti-freeze in your vehicle, that would cause deterioration of the gaskets.
Can you please explain #3? I have an Audi A6 3.0 2010. I got code P306, which means cinder 6 misfired. I lost coolant fast, I got low coolant light after driving 50 miles or so. Engineer has been shaking. I replaced spark plug and coil, same issue. Then I checked the plug, the plug is wet. I thought it might be caused by the oil leak in valve gasket, replaced valve gasket too, still the same issue, plug is wet. The only hope is to find the leak in intake gasket, but when I look at the in take gasket under the super charger, they are not used to seal the coolant. I am afraid that it might be head gasket is bad. Need some help here.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pullitcross
Can you please explain #3? I have an Audi A6 3.0 2010. I got code P306, which means cinder 6 misfired. I lost coolant fast, I got low coolant light after driving 50 miles or so. Engineer has been shaking. I replaced spark plug and coil, same issue. Then I checked the plug, the plug is wet. I thought it might be caused by the oil leak in valve gasket, replaced valve gasket too, still the same issue, plug is wet. The only hope is to find the leak in intake gasket, but when I look at the in take gasket under the super charger, they are not used to seal the coolant. I am afraid that it might be head gasket is bad. Need some help here.
never mind. Found this link. Super charger leaking is likely. Leaking through the tube fin, dripping into the intake, like a radiator leak. Hope this is the case anyway, not a blown head gasket.
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...eaking-coolant
Old 03-04-2019, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The rear timing cover coolant tube o rings are notorious for drying out and letting coolant past.
i resealed my v10 in the s8, you could seee the seals were hard as a rock and pitted. New seals-no more dissapearing coolant.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
The rear timing cover coolant tube o rings are notorious for drying out and letting coolant past.
i resealed my v10 in the s8, you could seee the seals were hard as a rock and pitted. New seals-no more dissapearing coolant.
Thank you.
I took the super charger out, checked and sure enough, the coolant has entered the cylinder #6. I don't know if the seal failed or tube fin heat exchanger on the left side has a hole in it. But yes, the spark plug in cylinder #6 is wet and car is shaking like hell and caused EPC and TPMS (tire pressure management system) failed because the car is shaking. I will post some picture and hope it helps others.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 03-05-2019, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the manifold for cylinder #6 is clean, coolant is being dripping into that hold and cleans it nicely.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

can't upload more file, stuck at 90%. Anyway, the super charger hole connected to cylinder #6 is clean as well.

the super charger hole connected to cylinder #6 manifold is clean too. So problem is found, but I am not sure if this is caused by the O ring failed or I need a new or two inter cooler cores. Hope it is the O ring issue.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes -this is a leak from intercooler, not gasket. A bad gasket in the pipe connected to tho SC very unlikely let coolant into the engine per the design in A6 3.0T C6, the coolant will leak outside instead.
Feeling pretty good after found the issue, even after I broke a bolt when I tried to take the inter cooler out. These bolts M6X16 are soft, and SC case is aluminum, they are almost welt together after the heat and time. Oh well, I have a few days to drill the bolt out while I am waiting for part.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by z06bigbird
Coolant does not just evaporate inside the cooling system. It will go to about 3 different places.

1. into and out of your overflow tank.
2. outside of the engine via tiny holes in the hoses, radiator, etc. It will also come out via the weep hole in the water pump, via loose bolts in various parts of the engine.

A pressure test will show various leaks.

3. If not one or two, then it is going into the engine, most likely via an intake manifold gasket or a bad head gasket. If anyone has mixed green and yellow anti-freeze in your vehicle, that would cause deterioration of the gaskets.
Considering point 3 here how long does it take for the gasket to deteriorate if one has mixed coolants and which gasket is likely to be damaged???