A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Creaking noise after installing H&R springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Creaking noise after installing H&R springs

Hi i have a 2007 Audi A6 and i just got control arm kit and all koni struts and the H&R springs installed in the car from my mechanic. It is making creaking noises especially on bumps as if the suspension is not working right. I don't know what could be the issue any help would be appreciated thank you.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saifxnyc
Hi i have a 2007 Audi A6 and i just got control arm kit and all koni struts and the H&R springs installed in the car from my mechanic. It is making creaking noises especially on bumps as if the suspension is not working right. I don't know what could be the issue any help would be appreciated thank you.
Usually and assuming everything was installed properly, sometimes if you don't grease the bushings and other moving parts, that happens.
With time, the creaking should disappear. It is not uncommon.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by redo-it-all
Usually and assuming everything was installed properly, sometimes if you don't grease the bushings and other moving parts, that happens.
With time, the creaking should disappear. It is not uncommon.
i only got 60 miles on the car it does so on bumps small ones and mostly front but back too i am not too sure why
Old 06-24-2013, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one or more bolts were over-torqued during re-installation
Old 06-27-2013, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kraftstoff-Direkteinspritzung
one or more bolts were over-torqued during re-installation
what should i tell the mechanic about that how should you properly tyorque it do i need strut mounts or only that could be the issue thanks in advance
Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you be more specific on the noise that you hear? Creaking doesn't help... Does it sound like rubber or plastic rubbing or metal to metal creaking? From the front? rear? or both?

I just replaced my shocks/struts with Koni FSD and replaced my front control arm bushings so I'm pretty familiar with our suspension set up.

Also, you put lowering springs in... did you get new bump stops or did you use the original stock ones?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh, don't grease the control arm bushings.... there is nothing to grease.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NR04
Can you be more specific on the noise that you hear? Creaking doesn't help... Does it sound like rubber or plastic rubbing or metal to metal creaking? From the front? rear? or both?

I just replaced my shocks/struts with Koni FSD and replaced my front control arm bushings so I'm pretty familiar with our suspension set up.

Also, you put lowering springs in... did you get new bump stops or did you use the original stock ones?
i didn't get any new bump stops not even sure what they are the mechanic used original. it sounds like rubber and plastic in the front and rear real squeaky especially on bumps. i might need new bump stops?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Okay, the first thing you should check is whether the white washer is properly installed. Since you lowered your car, you will need to raise one of the wheels to get a better look at your strut/shock set up. The washer looks like this (stole the pic from bimmer forum)
Name:  IMG_1889.jpg
Views: 3196
Size:  93.1 KB

Notice how there is a cut-out on the washer? The whole purpose of this washer is to prevent the bumpstop from creating a vacuum when it presses against the shock body (hence causing a creak/squeak noise). The washer should be resting on top of the shock body. It's a loose piece and should be just floating on top. It does not snap onto the body.

The bumpstop looks like this....

The setup for front and rear are similar. The top portion is called the bumptop and it prevents shocks from over compressing during a compression stroke. The black plastic part is just a dust shield for the shaft. If I recall correctly, the front stock ones are white and rear ones are orange like the pic above.

Again, you lowered your car with H&R springs. If you had stock (non-sports) ride height before, you will need to either cut off some of the bump stops or get a modified set (sports). Otherwise you don't have much of a shock travel before the bumpstop comes in contact with the shock body. This may explain why you're hearing the noise on every bump, especially if you're missing the white washer.

Replacing or cutting the rear ones are rather simple. Rear shocks can be removed in about 20 minutes (majority of that time is removing the wheel well cover). The front, however, would be difficult without removing the strut assembly since the springs are in the way.

Take a look at your setup and let us know what you find.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default will get back to you thanks

npr04 thank you i am going to see the mechanic now and find out what he did and he had the car since sunday i will show him this and see what he says. I don't mind buying new bump stops or that washer for my car or modifying them but i am a noob when it comes to cars i know the basics nothing else. If i am correct you're saying the rear bump stops can be modified or shaved off or the front. Once i find out what it is ill let you know and it makes perfect sense the noise seems like air struggling or not being pushed out properly i am thankful for you help and i will get back to you tonight or tomorrow once i drive this car and see how it is

Originally Posted by NR04
Okay, the first thing you should check is whether the white washer is properly installed. Since you lowered your car, you will need to raise one of the wheels to get a better look at your strut/shock set up. The washer looks like this (stole the pic from bimmer forum)

Notice how there is a cut-out on the washer? The whole purpose of this washer is to prevent the bumpstop from creating a vacuum when it presses against the shock body (hence causing a creak/squeak noise). The washer should be resting on top of the shock body. It's a loose piece and should be just floating on top. It does not snap onto the body.

The bumpstop looks like this....

The setup for front and rear are similar. The top portion is called the bumptop and it prevents shocks from over compressing during a compression stroke. The black plastic part is just a dust shield for the shaft. If I recall correctly, the front stock ones are white and rear ones are orange like the pic above.

Again, you lowered your car with H&R springs. If you had stock (non-sports) ride height before, you will need to either cut off some of the bump stops or get a modified set (sports). Otherwise you don't have much of a shock travel before the bumpstop comes in contact with the shock body. This may explain why you're hearing the noise on every bump, especially if you're missing the white washer.

Replacing or cutting the rear ones are rather simple. Rear shocks can be removed in about 20 minutes (majority of that time is removing the wheel well cover). The front, however, would be difficult without removing the strut assembly since the springs are in the way.

Take a look at your setup and let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: Creaking noise after installing H&R springs