A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

cup holder removal possible ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default cup holder removal possible ?

Is there a way to get the cup holder/lighter insert out of the center console of an 06 A6 without having to R&R the console ?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

The lighter is in the ashtray, so which cup holder are you asking about?
Old 02-28-2012, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by A6Gary
There is also a lighter adjacent to the cup holder located between the front seats and right behind the MMI panel.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Theres more than one ?

Originally Posted by A6Gary
As far as I know the car only has a cup holder in one location...aft of the MMI control, underneath a door. I'm an old guy,so anything in a car that looks like a socket for a lighter gets called that by me, but if there is a lighter in the ash tray then I guess the socket next to the cup holder would be a "12 V OUTLET" in modern parlance.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

There is the cup holder underneath the woodgrain door (as you noted), and another behind it under the armrest. When you said "lighter", I thought you really meant a cigarette lighter, not the "12V power outlet". If you are asking about the rear cup holder, you don't need to remove the center console to remove it. But you will have to remove the rear vent outlet, the armrest, the plastic rear section of the center console that contains this cup holder, and disconmnect the wiring. The forward cup holder is bolted to the center console section on th backside, which can only be removed after removal of the console.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
Is there a way to get the cup holder/lighter insert out of the center console of an 06 A6 without having to R&R the console ?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=spalte-text><TABLE class="cc abstand-kap einzug-standard"><TBODY><TR><TD class=titel-kap>Removing and installing cup holder (front)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=spalte-pfeil></TD><TD class=spalte-marg></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=spalte-text><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard absatz-hervor"><TBODY><TR><TD>Removing</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Remove centre console (front)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Remove bolts -arrows-.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Remove cup holder (front).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=spalte-pfeil></TD><TD class=spalte-marg></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=spalte-text><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Open cup holder (front).</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste> </TD><TD>Release cup holder insert using a small screwdriver -arrows- and remove cup holder insert

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard absatz-hervor"><TBODY><TR><TD>Installing</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD>Installation is carried out in the reverse order; note the following:</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Push cup holder insert downwards into retainers until it engages.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard "><TBODY><TR><TD class=einzug-liste>– </TD><TD>Install centre console (front)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="cc einzug-standard abstand-standard absatz-hervor"><TBODY><TR><TD>Tightening torque</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=spalte-pfeil></TD><TD class=spalte-marg></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="abstand-tabelle layoutnormal frameall" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=bleedleft><COLGROUP><COL width="75%"><COL width="24%"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR class=th vAlign=top><TD class=cellborderrightbottom-th vAlign=top align=left>Component</TD><TD class=cellborderbottom-th vAlign=top align=middle>Nm</TD></TR><TR class=td vAlign=top><TD class=cellborderright vAlign=top>Cup holder (front) to centre console (front)</TD><TD class=cellbordernone vAlign=top align=middle>2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by royclark; 03-05-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rubber retaining tabs I guess you would call them that protect the springs finally wore away and one spring is coming out completely and the others are worn to the point where you can see the metal.

Does anyone know if you can just get the insert without getting the entire housing with cover? This is the only part I could find but it seems excessive for what I need.

FRONT CUPHOLDER for 2005 Audi A6 Quattro|4F1-862-533-C-6PS
Old 08-03-2015, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got a spare mechanical piece. PM me, I can send you a picture, see if it is what you need.....