A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-07-2016, 03:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - A6 3.2 Upper Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wise not to force it ... Do you have your spark plugs in or out? If plugs in you would be fighting compression.

Originally Posted by Clevercrow
Hey guys replaced tensioners on both sides locked both cams also used crank locking pin everything looks good but I am unable to manually turn the engine more than a quarter turn on the crank forward or back. I don't want to force it Any ideas?
Old 08-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No all plugs are out valve covers off
Old 09-03-2014, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

If the engine is in time, I can't see anything that would stop it from rotating. I'm stumped on this one. It maybe time to pull the heads off.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Might be obvious... But... You did remember to remove crank locking pin? 😄
Old 09-14-2014, 01:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default check engine light

Now this came back again, when i give power rpm 2000 o/m it is like 3 sylindre work. When i switch off engine is away, but soon i get up to. 1800/2000 o/m start vibration" hole car. 158 t km is engine gone now. New sparks i have. . Is This problem easy to fix?
Old 09-23-2014, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

2008 A6 3.2 Quattro / 91K Mileage

Did the upper tensioners this past Saturday using original instructions and the manual. We used both cam shaft locking tools and the crank pin tool at every step and reinstalled all three tools after rotating crank 2 revolutions to confirm timing.

The car started upon completion, but we got codes P0366 (Camshaft Position Sensor B Bank 1, G300) and P0342 (Camshaft Position Sensor, G40) – along with an unusual knocking sound.

After re-reading timing process it was determined that the Cam Adjuster Holding Tool was not use properly and that accounted for the codes; I originally just held each cam adjuster with the tool and tightened each bolt instead of “pre-tensioning” the cam adjuster. Repeat job using all timing tools and used the holding tool to pre-tension cam adjusters during the lock down of the bolts. When I pulled towards the right side of the car on the left bank intake, the adjuster and tool seemed to turn quite a bit, (maybe 10-15 degrees; educated guess) – the bolts were locked down. Repeat pre-tensioning on right bank, exhaust adjuster; much less movement pre-tensioning / bolts locked down.

Removed the cam locks and crank pin lock and began to rotate crank two cycles to perform timing check… got about 1/3 to 1/2 crankshaft rotation and it came to a hard stop. We looked in all exposed areas to see if anything was binding and found nothing. We attempted to counter rotate the crank and going backwards we came to hard stop. (insert sickening feeling here)

We proceeded to removed plugs to confirm it was not compression, but same hard stops in both directions.

QUESTION:
Can this be anything other than bent valve(s)?

HELP:
I’m hoping someone can tell me some good news here along with some timely instructional advise or recommendations.

Last edited by AtzMyBoy; 09-26-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Amazing directions thank you mkongsiri and all you guys that helped me along the way. Car starts up great now but have a new issue. One of the Cylinder 1 intake valve is sticking causing misfire Pulled intake and tried to clean carbon deposit as best I could without removing fuel lines because I don't know how to purge lines for reinstall. Also ran spray seafoam through intake but no luck. Drove it around with check light on for 15-20 miles hoping it would fix or burn out carbon but nothing. I know valve is not damaged because when I had cams out and did leak down test air was coming out of intake but tapped back of valve stem once with mallet and it sealed right up. Any directions or ideas I would greatly appreciate. Thank you again
Old 09-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Your crank lock pin is in wrong spot. I had the same issue
Old 09-26-2014, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will be putting this thread to good use shortly. Fyi, El Paso tools on the auction site has the cam tool kit for about $110 shipped now. Best line I am finding on the crank turning tool is through KochTools for $16 then SnapOn for $30.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Will be putting this thread to good use shortly. Fyi, El Paso tools on the auction site has the cam tool kit for about $110 shipped now. Best line I am finding on the crank turning tool is through KochTools for $16 then SnapOn for $30.
FYI - The Crank turning tool is included in the El Paso kit.

Quick Reply: DIY - A6 3.2 Upper Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement