A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

DIY: Streaming Bluetooth Music via MMI

Old 03-08-2019, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I've been doing lots of digging and researching how to set up some way to make my car Bluetooth compatible and I was hoping for some direction/advice using different guides like the one above. Most of the guides, posts, or instructions are several years old so I'm hoping for some updated advice.

My car (2009 Audi S6) came with the Ami
Ipod
Adapter Cable already plugged in. I was curious if this means the car came with AMI pre-installed or is that a silly assumption? Is there a way I can check and see if my car does have AMI installed on it already? When I reached out to Audi about the AUX feature, here is the reply I received:

Given that reply, I think it's probably safe to assume my car did not come with AMI pre-installed. If it did or for some reason had been installed by a previous owner, all I would need would be a plug and play adapter, right? Something like this?

Correct me if I'm wrong but in order to play music via an auxiliary port I will need:
1. AMI (Audi Music Interface)
2. MDI (VW Media-In Multimedia Port)
3. MMI (Mercedes Media Interface) ports

Assuming my car does not have AMI pre-installed or installed by a previous owner I have 3 questions.

1. What is the cheapest but most legitimate way to purchase AMI? I want an authentic version, not some cheepo Chinese knockoff.
2. I assume my car already has the MDI & MMI ports needed, how can I confirm? (dumb question, I know)
3. After purchasing and installing AMI, having the proper ports, and having the Bluetooth adapter cable plugged in, that should be everything I need to make this happen, correct?

Lastly, are there any easier/cheaper alternatives for the same result? I've looked into Denison Bluetooth iPod iPhone AUX USB adapter for Audi (Single Fiber Optic Port) and a kit like that runs about $300 which seems to be close what I'll spend on doing like the example above.

Any and all thoughts, opinions, advice, and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2019, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had good luck with this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-H...item33ed91c037

Good for Bluetooth and direct aux input but I do not like how it handles mp3s on a flash drive.

I just needed to update software, unplug fiber from CD changer and splice in power which is easy due to the fuse box being right next to the glovebox

Old 03-08-2019, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

5 day owner of my first Audi!!! Got a 2012 A3 Sportback Premium and it's the greatest vehicle I've ever owned!
On the bluetooth front...
Just bought the Bovee that plugs into the glovebox port (MMI? AMI?) but it came with some gotchas. Anyone know workarounds?
  • MMI port is powered on seemingly at all times even when car is off so bovee bluetooth is always on.
    • As a result my phone calls and bluetooth music keeps getting snatched by the car when I'm in my house. I have to continually switch back to my phone instead of bluetooth. Yes I can disable bluetooth but that creates other issues. I can also unplug the Bovee from the glove box port but that's not something I want to do every time I get in and out of the car.
    • Is there a way to set that plug to power down when the car is powered down?
    • Is there a timeout after which it the port will eventually power off?
  • There is no way to pause streaming music (spotify) or audiobooks (audible)
    • There is no pause button I have found on the console or interface which seems odd. Not for cd, mp3s, or media. Am I missing this? When I pause on my phone it immediately starts playing again. There's some autoplay feature messing with things. Any way to pause music/audiobooks???
Are there updates I should be considering for AMI or MMI that would better handle the interaction?
Should I ditch the Bovee and get the
Old 03-12-2019, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Quick update,

I purchased the
Bovee 1000 wireless adapter Bovee 1000 wireless adapter
on Amazon for $87.99 plugged it in and it worked like a charm. For future reference- I was informed by an Audi tech that all S6 C6's came equipped with AMI (Audi Music Interface) as a standard option. If you have an S6 C6 all you'll need for Bluetooth streaming/music is the aforementioned wireless adapter linked above or one similar.

Cheers!