A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
View Poll Results: if you are unhappy with your audi, what would be your next car?
BMW
28.57%
FIAT
0%
HONDA
0%
TOYOTA
14.29%
VW
14.29%
Jaguar
0%
LandRover
0%
Mercedes Benz
28.57%
Skoda
0%
None of the above
14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Engine dies while driving. Takes 5-10 minutes then fires up and runs!

Old 06-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies while driving. Takes 5-10 minutes then fires up and runs!

Just bought a used 2005 audi A6 begining of this month. Yesterday was the third time that I had experienced this weird problem.

the car in general works perfectly. starts up in the morning no problem at all. I went to shop, parked the car, on the way back, the engine died off while running!

there was no stalling or any other noise. the engine just died off! then i had tried to start up the engine but no luck. after 5-10 minutes it fires up and no problem running at all.

it happens once in a week and no error on the computer.

Could it be:

1. Faulty immobilaizer?
2. Faulty fuel pump?
or 3. Faulty fuel pump relay?

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2011, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

My guess is the fuel pump. It sounds like it could be overheating and shutting down. Then you let it sit and it cools down and starts. I am not sure if this would throw a code. I could also be the relay.

Older Audi's (from the 90's) had a bad habit of fuel pumps failing sometime between 120k and 150k miles. I have replaced a couple. Those cars were not too bad to do if the tank was empty. The Bosch pump was about $130 and it takes about an hour to change through an access port in the trunk. I am not sure about the C6. I would not be surprised if it used the same pump. If you have it fixed at the dealer they will probably replace the entire sending/pump module and it will cost $$$'s.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
My guess is the fuel pump. It sounds like it could be overheating and shutting down. Then you let it sit and it cools down and starts. I am not sure if this would throw a code. I could also be the relay.

Older Audi's (from the 90's) had a bad habit of fuel pumps failing sometime between 120k and 150k miles. I have replaced a couple. Those cars were not too bad to do if the tank was empty. The Bosch pump was about $130 and it takes about an hour to change through an access port in the trunk. I am not sure about the C6. I would not be surprised if it used the same pump. If you have it fixed at the dealer they will probably replace the entire sending/pump module and it will cost $$$'s.
Hi,

Thanks for your kund message. I found another audi owner having similar problem and replaced the coolant temperature sender/sensor that costs $5-10. Do you reckon I should try that first? Does any one know the location of the coolant temperature sender/sensor?

thanks
Mo
Old 06-27-2011, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It could be the crack shaft sensor also. It would cut off your engine whenever the engine heat up.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got a clue now. I took the car out yesterday and the engine died three times in short space of time. When it died the first time, I cranked it over and got the "Oil Pressure" for a few moments.

I left the car with AUDI and will let you know what they say. It looks like the oil pump itself or the sensor is faulty.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

RPM sensor also causes similar symptom especially when you stop/start from still.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it is the oil pressure switch dont let them do it since they will charge u a lot of $$$, unless u do not care. its a fairly simple DIY.i did mine myself and only paid $27 for the switch/sensor. i can get u the part # and steps how to, if thats the case...
good luck
Old 07-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I was so frustrated and had to leave the car at AUDI.They replaced the fuel pump and charged me £££. I wish had tried a few things but I was just too worried about the engine dieing while driving in the motor way.

thanks again.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My 2007 A6 did the same thing to me one evening. Stalled while driving slowly. Wouldn't start again. Had it towed to the dealer and in the morning they couldn't duplicate it and didn't want to do anything (still under the warranty). After much wrangling got them to change the fuel pump. No further problems after a few thousand miles. Fingers still crossed though.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2005 A6 and have had 3 fuel pumps replaced since October 2010. I just got the car back Tuesday and they said I had a clogged fuel filter that was making the fuel pump work extra hard and burning them out. My car had the same problem, it would die periodically, I never had to wait to start it back up though. Eventually it would die and then not start at all and I had to have it towed to the dealership twice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine dies while driving. Takes 5-10 minutes then fires up and runs!