A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
View Poll Results: if you are unhappy with your audi, what would be your next car?
BMW
28.57%
FIAT
0%
HONDA
0%
TOYOTA
14.29%
VW
14.29%
Jaguar
0%
LandRover
0%
Mercedes Benz
28.57%
Skoda
0%
None of the above
14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Engine dies while driving. Takes 5-10 minutes then fires up and runs!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Im going to go with either fuel pump or the crank position sensor we have both available. PM me with model year and engine and I'd be happy to give you a quote.

Jason
Old 07-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, it's started again. the car vibrates at lower speed and sometimes doesn't start at all. It hasn't cut out of power while dribing but I am totally frustrated.

audi will look into it again. the engine cranks but wouldn't start.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by seckler17
I have a 2005 A6 and have had 3 fuel pumps replaced since October 2010. I just got the car back Tuesday and they said I had a clogged fuel filter that was making the fuel pump work extra hard and burning them out. My car had the same problem, it would die periodically, I never had to wait to start it back up though. Eventually it would die and then not start at all and I had to have it towed to the dealership twice.
Hi, did they replace the fuel filter later on? I got audi to diagonose and then replace the fuel pump. the car is acting weird again. i hope it's all under warranty.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mh644
Hi, did they replace the fuel filter later on? I got audi to diagonose and then replace the fuel pump. the car is acting weird again. i hope it's all under warranty.
Yes, they replaced the fuel pump 2 times before they checked the fuel filter. I called AOA to document the ongoing issue with the fuel pumps and AOA actually contacted the dealer and told them that there must be something causing these fuel pumps to fail. My car was under CPO warranty when they replaced the fuel pump the first time, so each subsequent time it was replaced under the new parts warranty.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, they replaced the fuel pump 2 times before they checked the fuel filter. I called AOA to document the ongoing issue with the fuel pumps and AOA actually contacted the dealer and told them that there must be something causing these fuel pumps to fail. My car was under CPO warranty when they replaced the fuel pump the first time, so each subsequent time it was replaced under the new parts warranty.
that sounds quite similar to what I have been experiencing. they replaced the fuel pump last week and then after 6 days, the car acting weird.

i tried to give the service engineer some idea of what I have learnt from this forum but he reckons that people just talk rubbish on the internet....lol

well, i hope they can pinpoint the problem as soon as possible as I am carless at this moment.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

that sounds quite similar to what I have been experiencing. they replaced the fuel pump last week and then after 6 days, the car acting weird.

i tried to give the service engineer some idea of what I have learnt from this forum but he reckons that people just talk rubbish on the internet....lol

well, i hope they can pinpoint the problem as soon as possible as I am carless at this moment.
did they charge you labour?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No they covered the labor cost too.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

they are still scratching their head.
they have no clue why this happens.
starts up file in the morning. drives for a bit. if I park the car for a while. when get back in the car and start the engine, then drive off...then the engine dies after a few minutes drive. it then wont start for about 5/6 minutes or less. then after a few cranks, it starts and runs fine.

I am so confused now. have sung their praises for long time but not happy with the reliability of audi anymore. mine is not even that old.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

they are still scratching their head.
they have no clue why this happens.
starts up file in the morning. drives for a bit. if I park the car for a while. when get back in the car and start the engine, then drive off...then the engine dies after a few minutes drive. it then wont start for about 5/6 minutes or less. then after a few cranks, it starts and runs fine.

I am so confused now. have sung their praises for long time but not happy with the reliability of audi anymore. mine is not even that old.
As of this weekend I am expierencing symptoms closer to what you have been describing. The car has been starting and running fine. I went to leave Saturday and the car died when i treid to take off, then it would'nt start just kept rurning over. I called a tow truck Sunday to have it towed to the dealership and when we got it about half way on the flat bed it sarted just fine so I drove it home (I was visiting family out of town. Went to leave on Sunday would'nt start again in my drive, so I pushed it out into the street because I parked behind my wife's car. She was steering while I was pushing, I got it out into the street and then it started just fine again...

I drove it to the dealership this morning. They have been working on the fuel system for the past 4 months. I feel your pain this has been very frustrating. Once (if) they can figure out what is actually wrong with it I'm going to trade it in, I need a more reliable vehicle. The car is a 2005 with 78,500 miles. I love the car but I don't want to roll the dice everytime I go to leave and wonder it it will start or not.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As of this weekend I am expierencing symptoms closer to what you have been describing. The car has been starting and running fine. I went to leave Saturday and the car died when i treid to take off, then it would'nt start just kept rurning over. I called a tow truck Sunday to have it towed to the dealership and when we got it about half way on the flat bed it sarted just fine so I drove it home (I was visiting family out of town. Went to leave on Sunday would'nt start again in my drive, so I pushed it out into the street because I parked behind my wife's car. She was steering while I was pushing, I got it out into the street and then it started just fine again...

I drove it to the dealership this morning. They have been working on the fuel system for the past 4 months. I feel your pain this has been very frustrating. Once (if) they can figure out what is actually wrong with it I'm going to trade it in, I need a more reliable vehicle. The car is a 2005 with 78,500 miles. I love the car but I don't want to roll the dice everytime I go to leave and wonder it it will start or not.
I'm sorry to hear about your car but at least i am not the only person on earth having difficulties with an audi. Mine is 2005 A6 2.0 diesel.
I have been using a loan car from AUDI at the moment. Don't know when they will have a clue. I might do the same as you, trade in the car and get a reliable Japanese car(?!)My first car was a honda civid that never let me down.

Please let me know if they can fix yours.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Engine dies while driving. Takes 5-10 minutes then fires up and runs!