Excess Engine movement - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007-present

Excess Engine movement

Old 10-25-2018, 08:13 AM
  #1  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 371
Default Excess Engine movement

I continue to have my engine jerk back and forth when travelling at slow speeds (ie. in stop and go traffic). I replaced my snub mount when I got the car about 8 months ago. I donít think my motor mounts would be bad because those will throw a code, correct? I have also recently replaced my upper control arms and stabilizer links on both sides. None of this has improved the herky jerkiness. The new snub mount got rid of the excessive "thump" I would always feel, but there still seems to be waaaaaay too much jerking of the engine at slow speeds. Can anyone else relate to this? What could this be or is it just normal for our cars?

Car is 2006 A6 3.2 (116 K miles).

Thanks.
akingzkid is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 03:12 PM
  #2  
AudiWorld Member
 
Nurke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: DC Area
Posts: 82
Default

Maybe trans mounts? Engine and trans are inline. Have someone power brake while you are looking at trans mounts. Even if your engine mounts are totally busted..you wouldnt feel it.
Nurke is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 03:43 PM
  #3  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 371
Default

Originally Posted by Nurke View Post
Maybe trans mounts? Engine and trans are inline. Have someone power brake while you are looking at trans mounts. Even if your engine mounts are totally busted..you wouldnt feel it.
Thanks Nurke. I have actually looked at the trans mount myself. Isnít there only one? I had plenty time to see it when I had the car in the air on a lift was changing my transaxle fluid a few months ago. It looked to be in great shape.
akingzkid is offline  
Old 10-25-2018, 04:09 PM
  #4  
AudiWorld Member
 
Nurke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: DC Area
Posts: 82
Default

Originally Posted by akingzkid View Post

Thanks Nurke. I have actually looked at the trans mount myself. Isnít there only one? I had plenty time to see it when I had the car in the air on a lift was changing my transaxle fluid a few months ago. It looked to be in great shape.
There are 2 trans mounts. You need to power brake it. Activate parking brakes..someone pushing brake pedal with left foot and and tap gas pedal with right foot...in drive and then in reverse..do not lay under the car...you newer know how streight is the one holding brake pedal down and how deep will push the gas pedal..dont want get run over.
you need to apply its weight..power..tension on its wheels..axles..trans...to see what actually happens there.
Nurke is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 03:24 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Super User
 
KevinGary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,601
Default

Motor mounts don’t always throw a code.
KevinGary is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 05:04 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 371
Default

Originally Posted by Nurke View Post
There are 2 trans mounts. You need to power brake it. Activate parking brakes..someone pushing brake pedal with left foot and and tap gas pedal with right foot...in drive and then in reverse..do not lay under the car...you newer know how streight is the one holding brake pedal down and how deep will push the gas pedal..dont want get run over.
you need to apply its weight..power..tension on its wheels..axles..trans...to see what actually happens there.
Ok. I can have my son do this with me. Can either of the trans mounts be seen in this picture? I think one of them can be.


akingzkid is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 05:06 AM
  #7  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 371
Default

Originally Posted by KevinGary View Post
Motor mounts donít always throw a code.
Kevin, ok. Thanks. Is there a way to diagnose that they are bad that you know of? I know that traditionally you do what Nurke is telling me to do with the trans mounts and see how much movement is there when holding the brake and pressing the gas pedal. But I don't think that method is used on these electronic type motor mounts so I am not sure how to tell if they are bad.
akingzkid is offline  
Old 10-29-2018, 12:52 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
kelisko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Lome, Togo (West Africa)
Posts: 1,090
Default

Bad front lower control arm bushings or a dirty throttle body can also be the cause.
kelisko is online now  
Old 11-01-2018, 11:30 AM
  #9  
AudiWorld Member
 
sswari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 133
Default

Originally Posted by akingzkid View Post
Ok. I can have my son do this with me. Can either of the trans mounts be seen in this picture? I think one of them can be.

Yes, one in each picture, the top pict the trans mound it eh object with the red oblong rubber mounts, the lower picture, the trans mound is the alumium larger mound with the smaller metal part in the middle.

It was quite apparent when my motor mount was broker, It came out in 2 pieces But I could not tell until I actually had to remove it when swapping the trans.
sswari is offline  
Old 11-08-2018, 11:45 AM
  #10  
AudiWorld Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 371
Default

Originally Posted by kelisko View Post
Bad front lower control arm bushings or a dirty throttle body can also be the cause.
I cleaned the throttle body a few months ago. I need to take a look at the lower control arms though. Thanks.
akingzkid is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Probs
A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion
0
05-05-2010 09:55 AM
evpho|chop
Off-topic Discussion
3
12-06-2006 09:38 AM
rennteknik
S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
1
09-03-2005 12:49 PM
VandyS4
S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
4
07-09-2004 05:35 PM
bobinsofla
S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion
12
08-20-2001 09:25 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excess Engine movement


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: