A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-06-2016, 11:09 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Front brakes squeaking

Old 02-23-2010, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Front brakes squeaking

Anybody have issue with the front brakes squeaking when the car is almost coming to a stop. In slow braking, my front brake always squeaks during the last 5 feet or so. Anybody have any idea what the problem is. My car only has 11000 miles on it, so its not the pads wearing out.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brake pads come with anti-squealers - its like a black tar like thing that goes at the end of the pads and the caliper. I noticed that stuff after I had installed my brakes. From what i understand, when the brakes wear a little, there is a little play developed which causes the squeal.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have heard brake dust can cause squeak as well.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just had my 2008 in for the same issue. Dealer and a direct call to Audi and they both tell me this is normal. My dealer did a sand of the front rotors and a cleaning of the pads but they tell me this is a temporary fix. The dealer also told me to do some hard stops from 50-0 to see if that would help.I tried that but no help. It all is BS to me. I have had four Audi's and my only complaint on each of them is the brakes. Lot's of dust and squeal compared to BMW, Lexus, and Acura.I do admit that I am very easy on the brakes but the problem is very annoying. Are there any pads that do NOT give the low speed squeal?
Old 02-24-2010, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have the same issue when coming to a stop on my 2008..though it has 28K so I'm hoping the slight squeak doesn't mean it's time for new brakes.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake squeal is normal for high performance brakes. Even higher end cars like Maserati and Bently brakes squeal.

If the brake squealing is excessive, it can be solved by replacing the brake pads and sanding the rotors. My brakes squealed at 30k miles and I fixed them by just replacing the pads (without sanding the rotors).

Since then, brake squealing has dissappeared but it may return at any time.

The dealers will say this is normal and I have also seen dealers with leaflets from AUDI that explain why the recent high performance brakes can and will squeal and that this has no effect on the safety of the car.

Also, the greatest reason why dealers will say this is normal is due to the fact that the brakes are not covered under warranty and replacing the pads will incur a pretty steep charge to the customer.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have heard the Akebono euro pads sold on Tirerack are very quiet, although I have never try them. Some people have told me to try power washing the disc and do some hard stops, that seems to help a bit, but from what I reading here, its only temporary. My old Lexus GS350 use to squeak alot more until I complain to the dealer. They replace the pads with low friction pads and the squeak was gone but the performance wasnt as good. I have started to brake harder on my daily drive. we will see if that helps, but I shouldnt have to drive this way all the time I hope.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have akebono on both front and rear. The rear has developed a slight squeak recently.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by am_ver
I have akebono on both front and rear. The rear has developed a slight squeak recently.
am_ver, are those the ceramic pads?
Old 02-25-2010, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I do not believe all high performance breaks squeal. My thoughts are the adhesive that is used in the mounting of the pads in their caliper in not doing it's job. The squeal is a harmonic causes by the pad vibrating in the caliper just before a full stop. None of my BMW's had any break squeal at low speeds. They also put out less than half the brake dust my Audi's do. Audi appears to have done some correcting of this issue on the 2010 cars. In any case it should be a correctable problem as it is a very annoying sound. Sorry for the rant, this issue just bugs me.

my 2¢

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front brakes squeaking