A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Front sway bar links, replace on the ground?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front sway bar links, replace on the ground?

I've been searching for an answer to this both on the forums and elsewhere, but I can't seem to find anything clear.

My front passenger side is clunking and clanking, and I'm sure all the bushings and stuff are going out. I thought I'd start with the swaybar end links, but right now, I'm on a gravel drive, so I don't want to jack the car up. Can I replace these on the ground, or on low ramps - i.e. wheels on the ground? Or is there any tension on the sway bar/links when the car is just sitting there?

- S
Old 02-16-2021, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 276 Posts

Yes you can. I have done this in the past. For easier access you will have to turn the wheel to the side you are working on and lock the steering by removing the key.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 147 Likes on 132 Posts

There is no “stored mechanical energy” in the sway bar system. Like the springs, they have tension on them. As long as both wheels are at the same height, there’s no tension on the bar or endlinks.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
Yes you can. I have done this in the past. For easier access you will have to turn the wheel to the side you are working on and lock the steering by removing the key.
Excellent! Thanks for that - my weekend to-do is set, then.
Also, thanks for your videos - they've helped me navigate the new-to-me A6 through a few DIYs already.

- S
Old 02-16-2021, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sallad
Like the springs, they have tension on them. As long as both wheels are at the same height, there’s no tension on the bar or endlinks.
Dude. Is there tension on them, or not?
Old 02-16-2021, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Sommerfeldt
Excellent! Thanks for that - my weekend to-do is set, then.
Also, thanks for your videos - they've helped me navigate the new-to-me A6 through a few DIYs already.
- S
You're cool. By the way, have a scissors jack on hand. While installing the new links, you may need to slightly jack up the sway bar end to be able to place the bolt through.
The following users liked this post:
Sommerfeldt (02-17-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on how you plan on replacing them. Do you want tension on them or not?? Lol...

Front sway bar is there to make sure your both front wheels are down on the ground when making turns at higher speeds....for better traction and steering control. It means that if you make a left turn..front left side will lift up...the sway bar will keep it down.
Now...if you are replacing one side by lifting up only one side...it will be harder to do it. A lot of tension.
Long story short...lift both sides on front to replace links as easy as you woud replace shoe strings...

On the other note...i have worked on hundreds of audi knocking issues....and not single one had links bad....they are not joint ball links..just rubber bushings...i would suggest to double check upper control arms...they go bad.
i hope i was able to help a bit...
Old 02-16-2021, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 147 Likes on 132 Posts

sorry, I guess I worded that wrong,

I meant to say that the sway bars are not like springs, which are under tension (the springs)
Old 02-17-2021, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nurke
Long story short...lift both sides on front to replace links as easy as you woud replace shoe strings...
I want to replace them without lifting either side, pls.

Originally Posted by Nurke
On the other note...i have worked on hundreds of audi knocking issues....and not single one had links bad....they are not joint ball links..just rubber bushings...i would suggest to double check upper control arms...they go bad.
i hope i was able to help a bit...
Thanks, and you're right about the control arms - they're on my list, but I need springtime and an indoor space before I tackle things like that. The rubber in the links are definitely rotted on these, and the clunking only happens when the bumps are uneven side/side. If I can do these wheels on the ground, I think there's a chance I can live with the control arms until the weather's a little more hospitable.

- S
Old 04-08-2021, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

@Sommerfeldt I hope you made it. I did it again the other day and this time I recorded it. Here is the video: