A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights

On my 2005 Audi A6 my left head light seems to be looking down rather than straight how do I fix this problem and also how do I change my headlight light bulb??
Old 04-07-2019, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by champz
On my 2005 Audi A6 my left head light seems to be looking down rather than straight how do I fix this problem and also how do I change my headlight light bulb??
With a VCDS you'll be able to test if you have a VCDS and possibly realign it as well. As for changing the bulb:

or

Old 04-07-2019, 01:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How do I realign it?
Old 04-08-2019, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No need for VCDS, use a screwdriver (turn the white horizontal button in the back of the headlight). The system will keep the new settings. When you reach the same level with the right headlight beam you are there. Hope that helps.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by champz
How do I realign it?
Xenon Headlamp Adjustment
Updated 03 Oct. 2007

Ross-Tech is not responsible for any damage or problems that may result from following these instructions. They are to be used at your own risk. As always, you should refer to a Factory Repair Manual for your vehicle!

This procedure applies only to older Xenon systems that use KW-1281. Procedures for specific vehicles, including newer cars that use KWP-2000 or CAN systems can be found in the Ross-Tech wiki.

This procedure details how to perform a Xenon Headlamp Adjustment on many VW/Audi vehicles equipped with Xenons (HID's). This procedure cycles the motorized headlamp adjusters to their center position so that the beams can be adjusted. This does NOT align the headlamps by itself. You still need to manually adjust the headlamps via the adjusting screws as referenced against a suitable aiming target.

If this procedure is only partially performed, there may be a DTC stored in the Xenon Range memory indicating "Headlights not adjusted". To clear this, you need to complete the entire procedure.
There are certain test conditions that must be met before doing this procedure:
  • Vehicle must be parked on level ground and "settled" on its suspension
  • Parking brake should be OFF
  • Ignition should be in the "On" position
  • Headlamps should be "Off"
Procedure for Aligning Xenon Headlamps:

[Select]
[55 - Xenon Range] (For some newer vehicles, use [29 - Left Light] instead )
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 001
[Go!]

Wait at least 20 seconds for the headlamp motors to move. The headlamps are now in their adjustment position. Turn on headlights. Adjust them via their manual adjusting screws as referenced against a suitable aiming target.

Scroll up to Group 002. The Xenon Range controller has now learned this position as its Home position.

Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.

Note: There have been reports of lowered vehicles displaying an error message in either Basic Settings group 001 or 002. If the vehicle height sensor(s) are bottomed out, it may be necessary to bend the sensor bracket to allow normal adjustment to occur. Also, check to make sure that the sensor arms do not have their pivots facing the wrong direction as shown in this thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2383036
The following users liked this post:
Sverige (02-26-2021)
Old 04-10-2019, 03:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do scanners other than Ross-Tech offer access to headlight settings for HID's? Mine need to be aimed and I can't quite justify the cost of the Ross-Tech just to adjust them. (2007 A6)
Old 04-11-2019, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Pablo3
Do scanners other than Ross-Tech offer access to headlight settings for HID's? Mine need to be aimed and I can't quite justify the cost of the Ross-Tech just to adjust them. (2007 A6)
In the long run, the ability to diagnose other issues with the Ross-Tech software and cable will far outweigh the cost. I have saved Thousands just being able to figure out where to look for issues rather than taking it a shop.

Worst case, see if you can find somebody in your area to scan it for you.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Procedure for Aligning Xenon Headlamps:

[Select]
[55 - Xenon Range] (For some newer vehicles, use [29 - Left Light] instead )
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 001
[Go!]

Wait at least 20 seconds for the headlamp motors to move. The headlamps are now in their adjustment position. Turn on headlights. Adjust them via their manual adjusting screws as referenced against a suitable aiming target.

Scroll up to Group 002. The Xenon Range controller has now learned this position as its Home position.

Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.

Does anyone have a link or image showing where the adjuster screws are, and which adjustment each screw performs?

Also, once the levelling adjustment procedure commences (after pressing “go” in VCDS) is the adjustment you make with the screws changing the existing previously saved position (relative adjustment), or do you have to start from a default (straight ahead?) position and dial in adjustments on more than one adjustment screw (down, right?). In other words, if you know your lights are a little low, is it enough to start the adjustment procedure and give the up/down screw a quarter turn in the right direction to raise them a little, or am I going to find that the adjustment procedure resets everything and I need to have a suitable aiming target marked out with measurements to set it all up from scratch?

Last edited by Sverige; 03-11-2022 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

If you look at the top rear of each headlight assembly, you should see two white hex screws. You will need a long metric hex bit/tool to reach these screws. As I recall, the inner screw adjusts the height and the outer screw adjusts the side-to-side motion. From the Bentley Repair Manual, it states to turn the outer screw the same number of turns as the inner screw. On my '06 A6 Avant, I adjusted the right headlight assembly to align with the left headlight after I replaced the assembly using this method. I didn't use my VCDS software.
The following users liked this post:
Sverige (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Gary. Seems to be a divergence of opinion between people who say you must use vcds and those who have found that it’s unnecessary. Since I have vcds I guess it’s safer to use it.