A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Help replacing front door lock actuators

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help replacing front door lock actuators

Both my front door lock actuators have the classic problem of working in either only locking or unlocking. Long story short I bought 2 used parts from a salvage yard in CA. Saturday night I was able to successfully replace the front passenger side door lock actuator. PITA but once you figure out how to remove it it's not that bad. I started working on the Driver's door but when I got the door panel off and peeled back the foam all i could see was this white plastic trim covering all the stuff inside the door. This was not on the passenger door. I haven't read anything online from other peoples posts in replacing them about it or how to remove it. Does anyone know how to remove it? I can only see one weird looking push pin and I tried to unscrew it out and remove it but it wouldn't pop off. Looking for any help here.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
BrandonKastning (06-01-2021)
Old 03-21-2016, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No help on this? I found a diagram of what I'm trying to remove on an A3 but the instructions are vague. It doesn't even tell you what the tool is for undoing the clip. It has some kind of strange torx head, almost a square bit. Its part 7 in the picture.

Audi Workshop Manuals > A3 Mk1 > Body > General Body Assembly Exterior (Repair groups 50, 55, 57, 58, 60, 63, 64, 66) > Front door, central locking > Front door > Front door handle - exploded view

Old 03-21-2016, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had this done by my mechanic. I did the same as you. Took the door apart but found you cant get to the lock assembly. It requires the window, window frame, and window regulator to come out. Dealer wanted $450 for labor to replace. My mechanic charged me $185. I hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

All those parts don't have to come out to replace the lock actuator, it just makes it easier to get it out. I was able to replace the one on the front passenger side without removing anything but the door panel. I'm just trying to find out how to remove item 7 from the assembly drawing above. The instructions aren't very good and the bit to remove the clip at the top is a mystery to me.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LMSI-G35X
All those parts don't have to come out to replace the lock actuator, it just makes it easier to get it out. I was able to replace the one on the front passenger side without removing anything but the door panel. I'm just trying to find out how to remove item 7 from the assembly drawing above. The instructions aren't very good and the bit to remove the clip at the top is a mystery to me.
I did the passenger side as well. Never done DS.

Looks like #7 is just a snap fit piece. But I don't know for sure. I saw a set of instructions for a passat where the guy removed the door panel from the OUTSIDE. He pull off the sheet metal (basically dismantled the door, but from the outside) and replaced it from there.

I wonder if the A6's doors are designed in the same fashion. I could see reasons for them to be similar.

In any case, Good luck.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

For a C5 but basically the same process.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same challenge on my 2010 A6 Quatro. The driver's door-lock-actuator is dead. I found the solenoid is surrounded by the same white shield similar to item 7 that LMSI-GX35x posted. Appreciate the video's above, but they do not represent my car's layout. There is a small black-colored screw at the very top of the shield near the door handle. Removing that screw, and the two triple-square bolts holding the actuator does allow for some movement, but something is holding it tight near near the top of the door. Anyone have a shop manual for the 2010 A6 that might explain how this shield is mounted? Thanks
Old 12-22-2016, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah after getting into the videos I also realized they aren't much help. I also had a German friend translate some German videos for me, but they didn't help much either. My buddy who was helping me change the actuator looked at me and asked if I wa going to reuse the plastic guard on the new lock. I said $&#% no so he asked why we don't just cut it off. I took a hacksaw blade and cut it off halfway down. 10 minutes later the new actuator was in and working fine. The top half of the actuator remains attached and the bottom half is garbage but everything works fine.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:41 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

I did the driver's side on our 05. Took the door frame apart. Not a bad job, just mark the position of the shims before you disassemble. I used a Sharpie to trace them on the door shell.

OP:
"Classic problem" + "used parts" = you'll be doing this again soon.
Strongly recommend you rethink your strategy.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Tutts
Yeah after getting into the videos I also realized they aren't much help. I also had a German friend translate some German videos for me, but they didn't help much either. My buddy who was helping me change the actuator looked at me and asked if I wa going to reuse the plastic guard on the new lock. I said $&#% no so he asked why we don't just cut it off. I took a hacksaw blade and cut it off halfway down. 10 minutes later the new actuator was in and working fine. The top half of the actuator remains attached and the bottom half is garbage but everything works fine.
Thanks for the reply - that is an interesting approach ;-) I am willing to do the same if I have to. I suspect this is a weather guard of some sort - it looks like it didn't do it's job so well!

I've seen reference to other guards, but they are black plastic and don't have the screw at the top. Those snap on at three locations on the actuator.

Did you need to remove the lock cylinder to get the lock actuator out? Some models seems to require this to pull a lock blade from the actuator - but I've seen a you-tube video that implies the 2010 does not have that mechanism.

Cheers,

Ron

Quick Reply: Help replacing front door lock actuators