A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

How to distinguish headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default How to distinguish headlights

I need to buy a headlight and I don’t know my part number without taking the headlight out, which as you know requires me to remove the front bumper. How do I know that a used headlight that I would be purchasing has the bi-xenon, HID, self leveling and auto cornering? I would hate to purchase one and get error codes as soon as I hook it up. Would it be as simple as looking at the picture of the light for sale to see if the inside has the motor?

My high beam shutter is not working. I wish I could somehow fix that so that I did not need to purchase another light. But I think I’m order to fix it, I would need to get to the front part of the light and I don’t know how to do that without removing the entire front plastic lens. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You may be able to find what you need here:

https://7zap.com/en/

Old 12-31-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jeffpuxx
You may be able to find what you need here:

https://7zap.com/en/
That site was confusing. I couldn't find info on the specific headlights. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by akingzkid
That site was confusing. I couldn't find info on the specific headlights. Thanks.
The sticker like on this image located in spare tire well shows all equipment the car has...all these 2-3 letter codes are some equipment...maybe some audi parts guy will be willing to find what headlight you need and give you part number..may be some site explaining all those...audi equipment decoder or somethinh like that...

Old 12-31-2018, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am going to buy a headlight from Ebay soon and I need to make sure I get the right one. I can't find a part number on either of my headlights. There should be a white sticker on my lights but they are not there. Is there anyway I can verify my part number so that I make sure I get the right headlight? I will go nuts if I buy a light and get the loud beep and a dash light. I currently have the (AFS, Bi-xenon, auto leveling, cornering etc light (the one that has pretty much everything).

The high beam in one of them doesn't work. The code that I get when I scan it (using my xtoo Vag401) is 02747 (Solenoid for Bi-xenon Shutter, right). I have taken this light apart before and done surgery to repair NUMEROUS brittle wires. I soldered some and shrink wrapped others. This was to get rid of a dash light and loud beep I had (I think it was dipped beam or something). When I put the light back in the car, I got the high beam shutter issue. I will take it apart again to see if this shutter issue is in a wire issue (a harness not connected or a wire touching another wire), but I want to know what used replacement light to order in case I totally ruin this light.

How can I verify my current part number? I used the VIN decoder on this site but it didn't help.

Can someone please help? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

i can look part nr up..hold on!
you seem to have same options in headlight as me.
/H
Old 12-31-2018, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

just to be shure,,what year and model?
if you have that option code sticker as Nurke showed...take a photo of it and post it!
they are in trunk or in service book (i have in service book)

Last edited by hrc4u; 12-31-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Part nr for option code PR-8ED:
left headlight: 4F0941029FG
right headlight: 4F0941030FG

but to be shure...look after 8ED option code in the white sticker!
cheers/H

edit: this are for right hand traffic!.. =)
Old 12-31-2018, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hrc4u
if you have that option code sticker as Nurke showed...take a photo of it and post it!
Thanks. Here is the pic.

Of note are these 2 codes I believe. PRCode: 8EH = Bi-functional headlight with gas discharge lamp for driving on the right(US design)PRCode: 8Q5 = Headlight-range adjustment automatic/ dynamic with dynamic bending light (AFS 1)

Old 12-31-2018, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hrc4u

2006 A6 (C6).

The problem is I see a part # of 4F0 941 004 and the listings sometimes say they have all those features (AFS Adaptive Bi Xenon) but I don't know for sure. I also see on the stickers that there is a SAE letter/number beneath the part number and some have SAE HR-HG 03 Y2 and some just have the SAE HG 03 Y2. I wonder what the HR means? There are also 2 large letters to the right of the part number. I have seen BD and another pair of letters.

I have a feeling that the 4F0 941 004 is NOT the light I need.

Another thing that is confusing me is that I see some lights that have the "little square box" on the side. Some of them are in a silver metal housing and some are in a black plastic housing. Most all always have the larger silver metal box on top but I see some that differ between the color/material of the box on the side.

Sorry to sound like a rookie. I read somewhere what that box controls but I forgot.

Quick Reply: How to distinguish headlights