A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

How to lock glove compartment

Old 01-03-2005, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to lock glove compartment

The owner's manual discusses unlocking the glove compartment by pushing on a button on the dash. But the glove compartment is never actually locked. Pushing on the button pops open the glove compartment even when the key is not in the ignition. Any idea as to how to lock it?
Old 01-03-2005, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: How to lock glove compartment

I asked the same question to my dealer, couple of months ago. He told me the glove compartment was locked once you lock the doors. I do not own an A6, so I havn't tested it yet.
Perhaps you can try to lock you're self in and see what happens.

I'm living in the Netherlands, Europe. But I expect this should work the same in any country.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: How to lock glove compartment

If the car is locked the glove compartment doesn't need to be locked. I would have thought that the reason for locking the glove compartment is to prevent somebody who gains access to the car, such as a parking lot attendant, from taking something out of the glove compartment. The Audi reasoning makes no sense.

BTW the glove compartment is not locked if you lock the doors with the button on the door. It is only locked if you lock it with the remote control so that the theft alarm is activated. I tried it in my garage.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:43 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts
Default Perhaps glovebox remains locked when using valet key.

Since valet key is typically not a remote type key. This would make the most sense since the same is true for all prior Audis. The normal keys will unlock the glovebox if you hand them to the valet, but the valet key will not unlock the glovebox.

Audi's reasoning makes perfect sense to me. They basically assume if you have the master key then you are allowed, and would want access to, the glovebox.

The only part that might be messed up is you'd have to lock the car with the remote to lock the glovebox, then unlock the door with the valet key and let them valet park it.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Perhaps glove box remains locked when using valet key.

Yes, but that is awkward, and perhaps insulting--removing the key, locking the car, and then manually unlocking it with the valet key. It also makes it apparent that you have something you want to hide or keep locked.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Nope, it doesn't lock with Valet Key

Nope, Valet key open the glove compartment. I just tested it. Locked car with master remote. Move key to out of range as I have Advanced Key option. Try to open door. Good it remains locked. Use valet key to open door. Glove Compartment can still be open.

I think the only way to lock away stuff is in the trunk. As the valet key supposely cannot open the trunk if you use the master key to lock the trunk and the fold down rear seats. Only need to do is to always bring along the valet key?

Looks like perhaps Audi left this locked glove compartment feature out like the "turn off stereo" or "stop CD player" like my old A4 and provide a mute function. I wrote to Audi last week on this. Perhaps Tom1996 would like to do same for the glove compartment.

Best regards.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:25 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Yup, then I guess it was an oversite.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You may see these exciting new features in 2006!

For those unfamaliar with Audi they do seem to do strange things sometimes. For 2004 the A8L had the same peculiar features no locking glovebox and perpetually running radio. For 2005 along with otheer new features glove box could actually be locked and if I recall you still can't pause the CD. But like I said these new features may be comming next year cause you never know with Audi.
be locked
Old 01-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Default another oversight-no master light switch in the rear.

Can't hide much in that glovebox anyway, maybe only a couple of thousand. I've never locked my glove before.

How about the fact that there is no master on/off light switch in the rear. If my kid is sleeping in his car seat and I open my door, I have to remember to shut off the upfront master overhead light switch. If I forget, his light goes on and wakes him up at night. My last Audi had front and rear master light switches. We always kept the rear switch off for him.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

You resurrected a 13 year old thread for a rant?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to lock glove compartment