A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

How to remove Camshaft Position Solenoids (VVT solenoid)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by kinetic53
I did not replace them at the time, but I imagine you can gently pry against the plastic valve cover with a pair of needle nose pliers so the force is more spread out on the electrical connector and valve cover, remove the valve cover and pry, or wiggle and pull with the valve cover in place. Do the intake ones first so you can get a feel for it and see some progress. Then try the exhaust ones. I'll be pulling my exhaust solenoids next weekend, but I may be pulling the valve covers as well. I'm trying to locate and fix a massive oil leak that just developed.
Kinetic52,
I tried the intake ones (the ones up top). The only one I was able to remove was the one on the drivers side by getting a very small flathead screwdriver under the lip and carefully prying it up. The one on the passenger side doesn't allow me to get anything in there to pry it up from the bottom without having to remove a few items and I didn't want to do that. Tried to gently pull up on it (after removing the electrical connector) with a pair of pliars and could not get it up. The ones down low on the sides (exhaust solenoids) are not budging. I am able to barely grab it with a pair of pliars but it isn't moving. I will try to slide a pair of needle nose pliars or a large screwdriver to try to gently pry it by putting pressure against the valve cover (down in the hole) and see if it will loosen it. I'm just afraid I'm going to break it. And if I do, I won't have a replacement on hand so my car will be out of commission until I order another one and it arrives. I am just trying to take them out and inspect/clean them and to "shock" them to ensure they are not stuck. Trying to eliminate misfires. My spark plugs arrived yesterday so I will be replacing those in the next few days. It those cure my misfires I will leave the solenoids alone......................but I'm not holding my breath that the new spark plugs will be the cure. Ugh.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Baker
I am tryng to replace these right now myself, First of all I can't find the exact OE replacement part anywhere, secondly they seem to be fused into my engine, though I know they are not since I have a massive oil leak from the passenger one. I found this part number but it seems to be for the 4.2 and ihave the 3.2 06e 109 257

I was about to open a new thread about this then saw this right at the top and thought oh so i'm not alone!

the passenger one looks like it should come off without removing anything else except its electrical connector and the small screw. i haven't gotten to the driver side yet but is it safe to use pliers to remove it?
I have no clue about the part # as I haven't looked any up. There should be a part # on the solenoid itself.

Here is a picture of the one that I was able to take out.

I have just been trying to remove mine and like you, mine seem to be fused on there. I was able to get the one up top on the driver's side out by using a very small flathead screwdriver and prying up on it in a few places at the very bottom. Couldn't gain access to the bottom of the passenger one. Too much stuff in the way. I tried pliars and was afraid I was using too much force so I stopped.